Nintendo DS port (Alpha 6)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Nintendo DS port

Post by Slye_Fox »

Main Menu
MainMenu.png
MainMenu.png (18.06 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
New Game Menu
NewGame.png
NewGame.png (19.1 KiB) Viewed 5432 times
cardinal808
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cardinal808 »

Stylpe wrote:
cardinal808 wrote:I've tried it yesterday, but it gives an error. "no available language packs (invalid versions?). I Used an R4... no clue what to do.
It's because of a small oversight dominik81 made. He uses /gamedata/openttd on his card, and has his .cfg edited for that, and he forgot to edit it back before releasing it. He reuploaded it with this fix so you can now put the openttd-folder on the root of your card like the readme says.
Youre correct, the game is working properly now. Looks great..... :D
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

I like the graphics Slye. :)

RVs appear to be fine provided I don't turn YAPF on, can't really play with aircraft and I'll have a play with boats shortly :) (delivering what to where I don't know)

Edit: Won't even build a dock :( just returns misc>cursor 0x0 (0)
Last edited by AntBUK on 16 Jan 2008 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

Gerneric Text Entry Menu
Text-Entry.png
Text-Entry.png (2.37 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Slye_Fox wrote:Gerneric Text Entry Menu
Text-Entry.png
backspace?
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

Oh right, forgot about that.
Text-Entry.png
Text-Entry.png (2.4 KiB) Viewed 5390 times
Game Options
GameOptions.png
GameOptions.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
elf_sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elf_sander »

Slye_Fox wrote:Main Menu
MainMenu.png
I think a "Quit" option wouldn't be needed. Also, I don't see how multiplayer is going to work.. And converting heightmaps might be too much for the DS as well.. I think.. And it might be smarter to keep a qwerty layout for the OSK ;)
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

No idea what OSk or Qwerty is.
skabaas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by skabaas »

Slye_Fox wrote:No idea what OSk or Qwerty is.

QWERTY... Like your keyboard... :roll:
skabaas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by skabaas »

Slye_Fox wrote:Main Menu
MainMenu.png
New Game Menu
NewGame.png
Didn't even get the Main Menu when I started it on my DS-Xtreme, I jumped right in the middle of a game... Something wrong?
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Thanks for the effort, Slye_Fox. I appreciate it. It might be some time until I get to changing the GUI, there is too much else to sort out first.

For the menu toolbars I was thinking about splitting it in two parts. One being used most of the time (to build stuff, etc.) and the other one to check statistics. You could switch toolbars with an additional button.
Slye_Fox wrote:I'm working on a few menus.
Should they be orginal sized, but condenced to fit on screen.
Or use the smaller icons like the tool bar?
I'm not sure yet. The space is so limited on the tiny screen that I wish there wouldn't be too many menus at the same time. Maybe those toolbars could be vertical on the left side of the screen. Or they could replace the main toolbar and you would have a "return" button to get back to the main toolbar.
AntBUK wrote:Edit: Won't even build a dock :( just returns misc>cursor 0x0 (0)
That's strange, I don't have problems building docks. Are you sure you clicked on a valid tile?
elf_sander wrote: I think a "Quit" option wouldn't be needed. Also, I don't see how multiplayer is going to work.. And converting heightmaps might be too much for the DS as well.. I think.. And it might be smarter to keep a qwerty layout for the OSK ;)
I hope to get multiplayer to work at some point in the far future. Even playing with players on the PC could be possible in theory. But as I said: It'll be a long time until that happens. It's true that a "quit game" button is not strictly needed on the DS though.
skabaas wrote:Didn't even get the Main Menu when I started it on my DS-Xtreme, I jumped right in the middle of a game... Something wrong?
No, that's intended in my test version. Much quicker to test stuff then having to click through menus first. You can get back to the menu with "quit game" though.

PS: I personally don't like qwerty. On my PC I have Neostyle layout.
Attachments
toolbars.png
toolbars.png (7.74 KiB) Viewed 5333 times
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

If you goto Exit Game from the save menu, you goto the main menu.

It's too big for the DS screens, so they have to be remade.

Difficulty menu (done over both screens)
Attachments
Difficulty-Menu.png
Difficulty-Menu.png (11.62 KiB) Viewed 5318 times
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Perhaps the "at end of line, and at stations" could be made shorter ...

"At end of line and stations" perhaps?
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
elf_sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elf_sander »

dominik81 wrote:
skabaas wrote:Didn't even get the Main Menu when I started it on my DS-Xtreme, I jumped right in the middle of a game... Something wrong?
No, that's intended in my test version. Much quicker to test stuff then having to click through menus first. You can get back to the menu with "quit game" though.
Quit Game doesn't always work (1/6 attemps actually work) most of the time I get the next error with a freeze:
Free 68k Largest 48K
[Err:] Out of memory. Cannot allocate 65536 bytes assertion "0" failed: file "/media/hdbd1/dev/ndsdev/openttd/src/os/ds/arm9/../../../../src/openttd.cpp" line 111
PS: I personally don't like qwerty. On my PC I have Neostyle layout.
What kind of layout is that? Can you show me an example?
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by T-Unit »

OSK = on screen keyboard
QWERTY name given to a normal keyboard after the order of the first six letters from the top left on a keyboard.
weaselboy246
Engineer
Engineer

Post by weaselboy246 »

very nice port! after getting the road vehicles "fixed", I started linking all the industries on the 64x64. worked quite well. only problem I found was randomly the road between vehicles would flash dirt. like it was just built. also the AI gets really stupid with trains as they will only spin around in the station which the AI then decides to build 3 new train stations because of it.
Stylpe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stylpe »

weaselboy246 wrote:also the AI gets really stupid with trains as they will only spin around in the station which the AI then decides to build 3 new train stations because of it.
I was surprised when I discovered the AI even works! I was fiddling around making a small bus route in the town, and when I scrolled back to the industries there was railroad all over the place!

I've tried building a rail route too, and see the same behaviour with the trains just going back and forth on hte loading station, so that's not related to the AI. It happens if I put orders on the train and use Full Load and Unload. It gets stuck on the Full Load order, and it doesn't work to just skip it. I tried having no orders as well, and the train will leave the station, but the station wouldn't start accepting goods. Buses work fine, though, have a savegame to show it too =) But when I try loading it on the DS, it crashes with the following error (and relevant previous log):

Code: Select all

1899 sl> Loading savegame version 84
189A misc> Free 544K Largest 560K
189B map> Allocationg map of size 256x256 (note: I thought largest size was 128x256)?
189C nds> Tile: 8 TileExtended: 1
189D misc> Free 68K Largest 48K
[Err:] Out of memory. Cannot allocate 65536 bytes
assertion "0" failed: file "/media/hdb1/dev/ndsdev/openttd/src/os/ds/arm9/../../..(sec/openttd.cpp" line 111
Gonna try trucks next.

Note to anyone still wondering: You have to turn off YAPF to be able to run any sort of transport.
Creator of the longest Locomotion station ever.
Sh*t does NOT just happen, sh*t takes time and effort.
Yay, that's me in my avatar! I win!
Keep violence virtual!
weaselboy246
Engineer
Engineer

Post by weaselboy246 »

On another note. if you make a save on the PC version and load it on DS and a town happens to have 0 population (why it shows like that i'll never know lol) the game will crash
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

weaselboy246 wrote:On another note. if you make a save on the PC version and load it on DS and a town happens to have 0 population (why it shows like that i'll never know lol) the game will crash
Town which have all its houses razed to ground happen to have 0 population. While it is not easy to do (local authority tries to block you from excessive bulldozing), it is possible with a bit of effort :)
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
weaselboy246
Engineer
Engineer

Post by weaselboy246 »

Bilbo wrote:
weaselboy246 wrote:On another note. if you make a save on the PC version and load it on DS and a town happens to have 0 population (why it shows like that i'll never know lol) the game will crash
Town which have all its houses razed to ground happen to have 0 population. While it is not easy to do (local authority tries to block you from excessive bulldozing), it is possible with a bit of effort :)
I mean naturally lol. when it would try to update to it's real population it would crash

Return to “OpenTTD Development”