Open Loco(motion)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Gonozal_VIII
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Open Loco(motion)

Post by Gonozal_VIII »

belugas wrote:
Gonozal_VIII wrote:curved tracks should be possible if the sprite is choosen based on the surrounding tiles
And what about the engine's movment? It has to be changed too to adapt to the new design...
i guess that would have to stay the same as there are only 8 sprites for vehicles... maybe increasing that to 16 sprites or something would make it more smooth (use the same sprites twice if extra sprites are not provided)
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

Would it be possable to convert the vehicles to Voxels (3d sprites, used in CnC: Tiberium Sun/Red Alert 2, Alpha Centori)?

<edit>
Here's one i just made;
OpenTTD Voxel example
OpenTTD Voxel example
OTTDTrain01_000.gif (5.59 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
I'd like to point out, that this is my first vexel ever, and that it is still incompleate.

<edit 2>
Better version;
OpenTTD Voxel example
OpenTTD Voxel example
OTTDTrain01_002.gif (21.38 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

While simple 3d small almost-box-like models with tiny textures would probably look better, it may work in small sizes used in openttd. The 8 directional sprites could be easily generated from the 3d voxel model and size like 30x20x10 voxels may be enough for most wagons probably. Though editing may be worse, is there any software to edit voxel models?
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

Voxels arn't 3d models.

They're sprites made up of layered 3d pixels, and pixel can only have one colour on it.

http://www.tibed.net/voxel
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

I tried in the past to work with voxels but the result was not so good.
Bilbo wrote:Higher tunnels - what good are they for?
Current ones look weird when you have a tall train/road vehicle. They have to go double.
Gonozal_VIII wrote:smooth slopes... i somehow don't like that, it may look better but it makes it harder to see the shape of the terrain and to place tracks
I was referring to 2 tile slopes for rails. Of course I wouldn't say no to expand them to the terrain but this would mean endless new sprites...
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

The only Locomotion feature I would want in OTTD is being able to turn on bridges.
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

AntBUK wrote:The only Locomotion feature I would want in OTTD is being able to turn on bridges.
I wonder ... does locomotion allow to have semaphores on bridges? (or in tunnels) That was one of the features that many people would like to have, but that is very difficult to implement due to way the map is organized in memory. That feature may also be one of the wanted ones ...
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

Bilbo wrote:I wonder ... does locomotion allow to have semaphores on bridges? (or in tunnels)
That too :)

(I think I was asleep on my last visit to the forums!)
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
This is my name
Director
Director

Post by This is my name »

I have here ALL MY WORK so you could share with your family FS https://archive.org/details/all-my-work-fs FS
usecubes.com 3-D Pixel Design Software
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

This is my name wrote: 13 Oct 2020 06:46 I have here ALL MY WORK so you could share with your family FS
Your temporary ban expires not even a day, and you're back to this behaviour again. Bumping a topic over a decade old now.

Have you honestly leant nothing from what we've told you? :roll:
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

By the way, It's interesting to add a link to the Open Loco thread and project:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=75019
https://github.com/OpenLoco/OpenLoco

About TTD vs Locomotion, both games are good, each hone focuses on different points, for example I love the big curves of Locomotion for rail roads or the depots of OpenTTD instead of placing trains from nowhere.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]

Return to “OpenTTD Development”