Open-source pictures required

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Batti5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Open-source pictures required

Post by Batti5 »

Hi this topic is for collecting UN-copyrighted pictures Engines or even wagon, truks, ships, airplanes to be used in openttd
if you have or can create UN-copyrighted Pictures, please upload them here and if are good the feature "Engine Photos" may get in trunk WITH!!!!! the pictures uploaded here, make a reply and add a maximum of 3 pics/reply
Wish to earn some money for free just by viewing some advertisment? Click this banner for more info.
It is Legal.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Open-source pictures required

Post by DanMacK »

And what exactly would this be for?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

isn't this in the completely wrong forum?
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

How can a picture be open-source?
For UN-copyrighted pictures, visit http://www.un.org

(Oh my... that was terrible joke)

Anyways: Batti5, browse Wikimedia Commons.
BlueEagle_nl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by BlueEagle_nl »

Batti5 wrote:... the feature "Engine Photos" may get in trunk WITH!!!!! the pictures uploaded here...
Where is the development topic for Engine Photos? And wouldn't it be a slightly better idea just to use some artwork of yourself? This way you don't have to bother for copyright infringement and stuff...

And what does Engine Photos do?
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

AFAIR this was a patch, that would display some background information about engines (accompanied with a picture).
jaybud4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jaybud4 »

I think it's fairly clear this guy does not speak fluent English.
From what I could gather, he's looking for pictures of train engines to accompany the data when selecting a train to build.
Without taking care of ALL the vehicles, that really doesn't seem like it's worth the time.
For that matter, pictures won't really serve a purpose...
For future reference: Pictures cannot be open source due to their source being.. what you see.
If you're bugged by anything I say/do: Please send me a PM. I don't always watch every thread I post in after I do so.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

jaybud4 wrote:For future reference: Pictures cannot be open source due to their source being.. what you see.
I dunno - I often provide the source of an image or logo that I make in the form of a GIMP file, including all the various layers, components and (sometimes) a bunch of manipulation history.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

And for rendered images, "the preferred form for making modifications to the work" is definitely not the output of the renderer.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

One might argue (pointlessly) if it is actually a picture at that stage ;)

Similar situation with vector graphics. They can actually be represented as some kind of textual 'source code'.
Well... that's way off topic...
jaybud4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jaybud4 »

Well, when we're talking about pictures of train engines from real life, I'm fairly certain none of those apply.
If you're bugged by anything I say/do: Please send me a PM. I don't always watch every thread I post in after I do so.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”