NewGRF (Air)ports - general discussion

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NewGRF (Air)ports - general discussion

Post by richk67 »

There is also the power issue to consider. At takeoff full power is used, and so the aircraft can use that to power themselves through problems. However, on landing, the power is cut back and so the aircraft is more vulnerable to atmospherics (micro-bursts, etc), and cannot just push through the problem as it would compromise landing speed.

Takeoff is most vulnerable to power loss; landing is more vulnerable to weather and structural failures. OTOH, the worst air disaster in terms of lives lost was while taxiing (Tenerife).

From the NTSB reports Ive read - and they are fascinating reading - running out of fuel is incredibly rare as a crash fault. The saddest disaster I read about - which shows how delicate things can be - was one where a maintenance engineer left a 1 inch piece of protective tape over a piezzo sensor, and the aircraft instruments then went totally haywire. They could not tell how high or fast they were going, and in the end crashed into the sea. (Peru I think??)

What I program into OTTD I dont know yet - maybe some landing short, some landing overshoots, some power-loss on takeoff, and some mid-air failures. I dont think I would be able to engineer mid-air collisions.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

DaleStan wrote:... takeoff ...
Bilbo wrote:... landing ...
takeoff_landing_1.png
takeoff_landing_1.png (23.31 KiB) Viewed 4632 times
takeoff_landing_2.png
takeoff_landing_2.png (34.64 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
(Graphics by http://www.asf.org)

[edit]
richk67 wrote:The saddest disaster I read about - which shows how delicate things can be - was one where a maintenance engineer left a 1 inch piece of protective tape over a piezzo sensor, and the aircraft instruments then went totally haywire. They could not tell how high or fast they were going, and in the end crashed into the sea. (Peru I think??)
No, that was a 757 of Birgen Air, flying from Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) to Berlin in february 1996.
See http://www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de/publica ... enAir.html

For those of you interested, here´s the CVR transcript.
[/edit]

regards
Michael
Last edited by michael blunck on 13 Dec 2007 10:36, edited 2 times in total.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Fascinating - thanks for the info.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
Vikthor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vikthor »

richk67 wrote: Takeoff is most vulnerable to power loss; landing is more vulnerable to weather and structural failures. OTOH, the worst air disaster in terms of lives lost was while taxiing (Tenerife).
Actually there were two planes involved in Tenerife disaster and while one was really taxiing, second one attempted take off without clearance. And the cause was human error - which is something that might be interesting to have in the game, but may be a bit difficult?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Vikthor wrote: Actually there were two planes involved in Tenerife disaster and while one was really taxiing, second one attempted take off without clearance. And the cause was human error - which is something that might be interesting to have in the game, but may be a bit difficult?
Yeah, the CVR of this accident is a must-read:

http://aviation-safety.net/investigatio ... kl4805.php

regards
Michel
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Yup, I didnt say that there were 2 aircraft involved, just that it was a taxiing accident. KLM wanted to send its best pilot to help the investigation - until they discovered he was the pilot involved - and generally regarded as being principally at fault for the accident by proceeding down the runway before PanAm was stated as clear by the tower.

I dont think I can easily program in collisions - the whole system is now geared to automatically lock sectors to one aircraft only. Effectively its Path-Based Movement for airports.
Firework Photography
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Hmm .. so there are less accidents in total during takeoff than during landing, but more fatal accidents. So if acident happen during takeoff, it is more likely to end up badly (well, losing power and end of runway is bad - you can no longer lift off and there is not enough space to brake)
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

As Dalestan pointed out, its more fuel than anything. Depending on the emergency, it is normal to dump as much fuel as possible before a landing to minimise fire risks. At takeoff, it is rare to have either the time or the location to dump fuel safely, so crashes post takeoff would tend to have worse fires.

An incredible landing accident after a major inflight systems failure, was the Sioux City crash. The aircraft lost all hydraulics and could only turn in one direction. It touched down at Sioux City (49/50 simulator pilots never made it that far!), but the wing dug in. It barrel rolled, split apart, big fireball, etc. However... and if you see the film of the landing you'll be amazed... nearly 50% of the passengers survived.
Firework Photography
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

I suspect MB's statistics are for general aviation aircraft rather than airliners, but it seems to be a similar story; according to Boeing, over 50% of airliner accidents happen on landing or approach, compared to about 20% on takeoff or climb. However, the fatality rate is much higher for takeoff accidents.

It wouldn't actually change the gameplay, but would it be possible to change the crash message so the fatality rate isn't always 100%?
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

May be worth some patch, though it is basically just an eye candy :)

With trains it is similar - when they collide head-on, both going 200km/h it is no wonder everybody on train is dead, but when train going 20 km/h catches up train going 15 km/h from behind, such fatality rate is rather surprising.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

the link to the main thread donsn't work for me.

it says "firefox dosn't know the protocol svn"
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

Slye_Fox wrote:the link to the main thread donsn't work for me.

it says "firefox dosn't know the protocol svn"
It's the link to the source code. Not to a forum thread.
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

Where can i get this then?
The zip only has a readme in it.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Read first line of first post...

"This is the main thread for the NewGRF (Air)ports branch: svn://svn.openttd.org/branches/NewGRF_ports".

Check out the repository, and then compile it.
Firework Photography
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

No idea what you're talking about.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Read the development part of the OpenTTD wiki for instructions on checking out a copy of the source code. You would also need a compiler to compile it. If you cant do that, then this really isnt for you. There are no pre-built versions available, since it is in development (like the nightly, but without the regular builds).

It is worth learning how to download a nightly, or a development area like NewGRF_ports, and compile it. It will open up a whole new world of cutting edge developments. (Note that cutting edges can cause bleeding... ;) )
Firework Photography
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

Dam.

Can't do that.

Don't know C (or ANY language simaler to it)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

You don't need to know any C to browse and check out the SVN repository, nor for compiling the source. In fact, it's probably the easiest and simplest part of development.

Just check out this or this, (I'm hazarding a guess that you're using Windows) - They give step by step instructions.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Yup. I was new to all this 2 years ago, and it was easy enough to read through the instructions, download TortoiseSVN and cygwin, and I had compiled my first own copy in about 2 hours.
Firework Photography
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

or use buildottd :)
Member of the
ImageImage

Return to “OpenTTD Development”