Integrated Version ChrisIN-Final-1 [2008/03/12] *r11485*

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Also, I have thought of one more patch that may be intergrated in ChrisIN.
Patch that allows more than 22 windows opened at once (raising the limits to 57) Especially useful for large resolutions and peeople who tent to clutter the game with many opened wnidows.

http://bugs.openttd.org/task/925

Devs have not yet accepted it (perhaps they are working on a better fix), but it was working fine, so perhaps it could get to ChrisIN.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

I just added a patch to the ottd flyspray :
http://bugs.openttd.org/task/1029

May be you should agree to add it in this patch ?
chrissicom
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by chrissicom »

I added your two patches in the latest build :) nice, useful and tidy :) I am currently also testing the grass growth on unused tracks with my local build.
matryx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by matryx »

Hi Chrissicom - seems to be a different bug with the daylength patch.

While it's definitely making days slower (and thus vehicle-running-costs lower) - income is unaffected. Which means in the same space of time trains etc are much more profitable due to lower running-costs.

I would have imagined that either the costs would be scaled up to balance this, or incomes would be scaled down.

Despite the on/off option to "affect economy" - it only seems to update the gui for train running cost. The actual running cost remains unchanged (as, incidentally does the income).

Tested with the last release, not this new one with the two patches from Bilbo!
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

matryx wrote:While it's definitely making days slower (and thus vehicle-running-costs lower) - income is unaffected. Which means in the same space of time trains etc are much more profitable due to lower running-costs.

I would have imagined that either the costs would be scaled up to balance this, or incomes would be scaled down.
Day is longer, so vehicle can make same or even higher priofit, because it delivers on same distance, but faster (in less days). Maybe its a feature, not bug :)

Or maybe cargo payment rates will need to upate with day length too ...
matryx wrote:Tested with the last release, not this new one with the two patches from Bilbo!
Well, actually only one of the patches was fro me, second was from MagicBuzz

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
chrissicom
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by chrissicom »

due to lower running-costs.
Do you have Daylength affects economy activated? If not then vehicle running costs will stay the same. If you activate it, then vehicle running costs will scale up according to the daylength. All other "costs" like the payment you get for your transports is not changed on purpose. This patch should not slow down the whole economy, it's only supposed to slow down the time of a year.
So with daylength affects economy activated your trains will make more money per month of course, but they'll also cost you more to maintain. Also property maintenance costs should scale up well since they are not based on "running costs" afaik.

Edit: I just saw your exclusive rights patch Bilbo! That one will definitely go in the IN if it's not in trunk by the next build :D
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

chrissicom wrote: Edit: I just saw your exclusive rights patch Bilbo! That one will definitely go in the IN if it's not in trunk by the next build :D
Well, I plan to improve it a bit (allow also disallowing money transfer, cause someone objected about this feature - so server admins will have more control over the rules - wheter to allow trading shares (can be toggled now), buying rights or transfering money.

Actually, the exclusive rights patch is relatively old and not still in the trunk ... :)

Small disadvantage is that the patch bums savegame version because the options have to be saved in the savegame (I found no flag for patch options to sync with network, but not save to savegame and it may be better to save anyway, as these options will be loaded when starting server from loadgame ....) ... maybe that is why it was not yet accepted?

matryx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by matryx »

chrissicom wrote:
due to lower running-costs.
Do you have Daylength affects economy activated?
Sorry, I thought my 'Despite the on/off option to "affect economy"' note made it clear. I'll clarify

With the "Daylength affects economy" activated: Train one between town A and town B cost £3 to run and made £900
Without it activated, the results were exactly the same.

As Bilbo said, I would have expected the unticking of this option would result in the current zero-scaling of costs (resulting in the higher profits), but I would have expected that having it enabled would do more than just increase the 'display value' of the train running costs.

I have not yet run a full year to check my figures properly, only a few weeks on each.

I shall do some more detailed tests over a longer timespan and post the results shortly!

By the by.... In case it makes any difference, I had inflation 'off'.
matryx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by matryx »

Setup: Transport is one Kirby Paul Tank (Steam) with 2 Passenger Carriages.

------------------------------------------------
Daylength set to "1"
Length of Days affects economy: Off
Reported Running Cost: £1,093/yr
Running cost at start of March (January+February) - £175
Calculated Running cost for the year : approx £1050.
Daylength set to "30"
Length of Days affects economy: Off
Reported Running Cost: £1,093/yr
Daylength set to "30"
Length of Days affects economy: On
Reported Running Cost: £32,812/yr

Hopefully that hilights the problem!
Ideally I'd either like the Daylength Affects Economy to ramp down the payment rates, or ramp up the running costs. The former makes more sense in reality, otherwise the initial hit of the engine cost is very quickly dwarfed by the profits made.

Also - while I was doing this test I noticed that tree growth isn't affected by daylength. Quite amusing to see a hillside sprout a near-forest over the course of a day or two!
Attachments
Example_Setup.sav
The setup. Configure your patches, load this savegame, and hit "go" (might want to fast-forward while you wait)
(325.97 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Integrated Version ChrisIN-r10534 [13/07/2007]

Post by Bilbo »

I have updated the exclusive rights patch for r10556 and I have also added option to disable sending money (since somebody was complaining about abuse of that feature. So for ChrisIn, you should get the new version from http://bugs.openttd.org/task/921

MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

I suggest to add also this small patch by Matthias.

http://bugs.openttd.org/task/915

It adds a new button "Ungrouped vehicles" in the vehicules lists. That's usefull to find newly build vehicules to send them in a group.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

A small fix for the "Day length multiplier" patch and revenues when we enable the "affects economy" option.

Now, it does this :
- Multiply duration of transport per the day length multiplier
- Divide the revenues by the day length multiplier

=> By this way, we get almost the same reveunes as if we run the same route with no day length patch.

Take care with short routes (suburban bus services by exemple).
Imagine you use a x30 multiplier for daylength.
If your revenues are less than 15 £, then you'll get 0 £ for each transport with this patch.

This is the only issue I can find, and don't ask me to resolve it, I won't... May be I should give 1 £ everytime, but that will slow down the code for nothing.

PS : After some tests, with bigger day multiplier values we get less revenues than expected (arround -15%)

This can be explained by this :
- If the real time of transportation is 40 days, we get payment for 40 days when using default options
- But with daylength patch and x30 multiplier by exemple, 40 days become 2 days. Then when I multiply this by the multiplier, I get 60 days, so you the revenue is lower. The only way to fix it is to change the current "transit_days" variable to "transit_ticks". By this way we should keep the gorrect value. The only problem is that transit_days is a "byte", so we can't replave int by a uint16 or uint32 that is needed to store a ticks counter without rewriting a lot of code, and wasting some system memory.
Attachments
fix_daylength_revenues.patch
This patch must be applied on the trunk after the ChrisIN-r10534 [13/07/2007] diff.
(2.08 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

MagicBuzz wrote: This can be explained by this :
- If the real time of transportation is 40 days, we get payment for 40 days when using default options
- But with daylength patch and x30 multiplier by exemple, 40 days become 2 days. Then when I multiply this by the multiplier, I get 60 days, so you the revenue is lower. The only way to fix it is to change the current "transit_days" variable to "transit_ticks". By this way we should keep the gorrect value. The only problem is that transit_days is a "byte", so we can't replave int by a uint16 or uint32 that is needed to store a ticks counter without rewriting a lot of code, and wasting some system memory.
Better would be IMHO incrementing the transit_days more often (30x per day with 30x multiplier)

devah
Engineer
Engineer

Post by devah »

what about more than 512 custom names in game patch? :/
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Bilbo wrote:Better would be IMHO incrementing the transit_days more often (30x per day with 30x multiplier)
You're right.
But I just looked the code, and I can't find how to change this.

It seems the VehicleDayTickProc that change the cargo transit days, but it it's not the only thing this function does.
And the VehicleDayTickProc is called only every X days (according the patch setting).

So a change in this may impact many other things in the source code :(

Anyway, as I found a "EconomyMultiplier()" inline function, I now use it in the patch instead of creating variables and doing tests on the patch settings (the function does it for me, and it's cleaner)
Attachments
fix_daylength_revenues.patch
Fixed patch using EconomyMultiplier() function instead of dirty tests in the patch options.
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
mamuf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mamuf »

Does the patch include the latest Copy and Paste patch? There is a new version of its grf with an added button.
chrissicom
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Integrated Version ChrisIN-r10558 [14/07/2007]

Post by chrissicom »

I currently wait with releasing the next build because the upload new version button is gone and I hope it comes back soon :) The next version will have the daylength bug with trains fixed. The problem was that I reverted a file to implement peter's autosignals and forgot to re-add a line for the daylength patch.

I am also updating the copy & paste patch and add a few other smaller patches.

The exploit with town construction cost where you could build really cheaply on cleared land but still sell it for a high price is fixed in the next build. When the patch is enabled you won't be able anymore to build on cleared land or buy cleared land but instead get an error message that you should wait until the garbage has been cleared up. When terraforming to avoid annoyance the land stays grass so you can higher and lower land without the need to wait for grass growth on cleared land. When the patch is disabled all behave as usually and also terraforming will clear land.

Another update in the next build will be that all patches with GUI representation will have their own page in the patches options. I.e. there is a tab ChrisIN in the patch options with all added patches so it will be a lot easier to find out which of the patches are not from trunk. I hope you'll like this feature :)

Stay tuned! :)
mamuf
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Integrated Version ChrisIN-r10558 [14/07/2007]

Post by mamuf »

chrissicom wrote:... Stay tuned! :)
Thanks a lot for everything! 8)
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

MagicBuzz wrote:I suggest to add also this small patch by Matthias.

http://bugs.openttd.org/task/915

It adds a new button "Ungrouped vehicles" in the vehicules lists. That's usefull to find newly build vehicules to send them in a group.
That patch made it to trunk in r10567...

athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Integrated Version ChrisIN-r10563 [14/07/2007]

Post by athanasios »

:( I can't build anything near cities with patch enabled. It just clears land...
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”