Patch: Found a town

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MeTo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Patch: Found a town

Post by MeTo »

Well, it looks, the structure of the code has been changed a lot since the last version of this patch was created..... would it be possible, please, to make some newer version ?
I think, this patch can be useful..... I don't understand discussion like "why not to use this patch, this is not SimCity etc." ... there is always a possibility NOT TO USE some function. Every patch finds its users....
xmart2k
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xmart2k »

i totally agree... i like this patch too
Domovoi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Domovoi »

Me too.
For building realistic networks this patch is absolutely essential in my opinion. :)
Octopussy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Octopussy »

So by the way of dissensions in this topic between different visions of future, challenges and evolutions for OpenTTD,
we would probably need and build a new branch/project from the first one.

We could called it for example OpenSimCity, or OpenSimTTD.. 8) : a new project !
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sootynz »

I agree - I'd like it.
MeTo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MeTo »

Octopussy: NO. There is nothing bad on expanding possibilities of a game... nobody makes you use such functions.
Sarvesh50
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sarvesh50 »

Great patch :D :D :bow: :bow: but 14.5 millions is really much money and if you fund a town
and if you can fund a town do you get some extra money because you made a town that the peoples pays you some money to live there ?
AlgoJerViA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlgoJerViA »

I have brute forced the patch into the latest svn, r13647.
It is probably not correctly done but it seems to work. :?

I was thinking just out of the blue, maybe a interesting game would be to start on a completely bare map without towns or industries and then add to the patch to allow you to build your first city and industry for free, sort of a colonization aspect of the game.

//AlgoJerViA
Attachments
create_town_r13647.patch
(10.54 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Hey, could somebody please Patch this for me? Im using OpenTTD v6.2 and I rlly would like to use this Fund new town thing, its pretty neat. If your wondering why I wont do it, its because I tired to install the programs needed but they screwed up my computer and I had to restore it to a earilier date.

SO can somebody please do this, when its been patched send it in a zip file to detrix_x@hotmail.com or post it here in a zip
thnx!

edit : yes I know there is a already patched exe out there but its a older, unstable version, I tired it and I couldnt use custom stuff because it would crash.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
jaybud4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jaybud4 »

Look at the dates.
Not only is this patch (from the first post, not the unofficial one) a full four thousand revisions prior to 0.6.2, but this thread itself was last updated in June.
If you're bugged by anything I say/do: Please send me a PM. I don't always watch every thread I post in after I do so.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Well how was I suppose to know that, all these revision numbers and versions are starting to confuse me
Well then if this is out dated then could somebody please update it! I really want to have this functions in the game, since once you start getting lots of money and you have just about every town in your service it just seams boring after that
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Play on bigger maps. I don't believe you can service all towns on the biggest available map.
jaybud4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jaybud4 »

NekoMaster wrote:Well how was I suppose to know that, all these revision numbers and versions are starting to confuse me
Well then if this is out dated then could somebody please update it! I really want to have this functions in the game, since once you start getting lots of money and you have just about every town in your service it just seams boring after that
There's no way to update from revision10xxx to revision 14xxx. Simply no viable way. Too much code change.
The revision13xxx version broke a lot of the code.
CommanderZ wrote:Play on bigger maps. I don't believe you can service all towns on the biggest available map.
You *can* but it takes a long time.
If you're bugged by anything I say/do: Please send me a PM. I don't always watch every thread I post in after I do so.
TheJosh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheJosh »

I was going to make a new (better) version of this patch when I got time...
Want to make a real difference? Australia HOPE International - Bringing hope to African orphans and widows.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Woot! Cant wait, do you think you could patch it to the most recent version that this can patch to??
CommanderZ wrote:Play on bigger maps. I don't believe you can service all towns on the biggest available map.
I would but all the News pop up are annoying (i know I can get rid of them) and also, I find it much to hard to maintain all your stuff over a map large then 512x512. Also Saving ans Auto Saves take A LOT longer on larger Maps because of all the data needed to be saved :P
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

I would but all the News pop up are annoying (i know I can get rid of them)
Hold mouse on the News button on the toolbar (second or third from the right end) -> Message settings -> disable them
jaybud4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jaybud4 »

NekoMaster wrote:I would but all the News pop up are annoying (i know I can get rid of them)
If you know you can get rid of them, then why don't you? It's hard to be annoying when they're not.. there.
And uh, there's still LOTS of them on 512x512 anyway.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

jaybud4 wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:I would but all the News pop up are annoying (i know I can get rid of them)
If you know you can get rid of them, then why don't you? It's hard to be annoying when they're not.. there.
And uh, there's still LOTS of them on 512x512 anyway.
Oh, and also, it takes for ever to create new map over 512x512 even with low towns and industries
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

NekoMaster wrote:Oh, and also, it takes for ever to create new map over 512x512 even with low towns and industries
How long are you going to play that map?
Now, think about how long it took to generate it.

Now, if yu think it's still too long, do not load grfs like George's newindustries vectors. THey are the ones (most of the time) responsible to slow down the generation, since a lot of tests are done for each industry to be placed on map.
Another option, create scenarios... Game will load QUITE faster.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

belugas wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:Oh, and also, it takes for ever to create new map over 512x512 even with low towns and industries
How long are you going to play that map?
Now, think about how long it took to generate it.

Now, if yu think it's still too long, do not load grfs like George's newindustries vectors. THey are the ones (most of the time) responsible to slow down the generation, since a lot of tests are done for each industry to be placed on map.
Another option, create scenarios... Game will load QUITE faster.
sorry I use ECS (not sure if thats the same : P ) anyways, sometimes, I swear openTTD freezes while making a larger then 512x512 map

Return to “OpenTTD Development”