Distant-join-stations (in trunk)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

PhilSophus
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Distant-join-stations (rev12684)

Post by PhilSophus »

@Trond: And now try this with an unpatched trunk version. See? It behaves the same.
However, you might argue that with distant-join it should ask which of the two stations to join instead of giving an error message.
"The bigger the island of our knowledge, the longer the shore of our ignorance" - John A. Wheeler, Physicist, 1911-2008
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Thats what I ment too.. I think it should be like that, but I agree it could pop up a message asking wich you wanted to join, instead it behaves like it does without the patch. It's probably possible to make it behave like that, but not for me I'm afraid.

However, if you need 1 more tile wide station you can build on left or right of one of the existing ones... As I mentioned in a very bad wording in my previous post: I have never needed to make an existing station use a tile between two others, so the problem never been a problem for me, and it still isnt really ;)

However, the name of the patch is DISTANT join stations, and two stations in three tiles... You can't put a joint one inbetween the two and claim it to be distant ;)
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
PhilSophus
Chairman
Chairman

Post by PhilSophus »

Trond wrote:Thats what I ment too.. I think it should be like that, but I agree it could pop up a message asking wich you wanted to join, instead it behaves like it does without the patch. It's probably possible to make it behave like that, but not for me I'm afraid.
I might have a look at this, but probably not today.
Trond wrote:However, if you need 1 more tile wide station you can build on left or right of one of the existing ones... As I mentioned in a very bad wording in my previous post: I have never needed to make an existing station use a tile between two others, so the problem never been a problem for me, and it still isnt really ;)
For me not, either. But to build ABC, why should you be able to build A, B, C but not A, C, B to reach this layout (for whatever reason).
Trond wrote:However, the name of the patch is DISTANT join stations, and two stations in three tiles... You can't put a joint one inbetween the two and claim it to be distant ;)
On the other hand, the patch allows you to select the station to join, which would be quite useful in this case. So, maybe rename it to "Select Join Station" which would match both cases :P
"The bigger the island of our knowledge, the longer the shore of our ignorance" - John A. Wheeler, Physicist, 1911-2008
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

One of the missing TTDPatch features is possibilty to build stations like that: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=681467#p681467

Almost impossible with OTTD atm.

Greets
Ammler
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Ammler wrote:One of the missing TTDPatch features is possibilty to build stations like that: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=681467#p681467

Almost impossible with OTTD atm.

Greets
Ammler
It's not that hard, you just have to know how to remove station tiles ;).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

XeryusTC wrote:
Ammler wrote: Almost impossible with OTTD atm.
It's not that hard, you just have to know how to remove station tiles ;).
Thats the most difficult, because you can't remove a tile and readd something else, because you will have 2 different adjacent stations around. That would need TTDPatch feature, which isn't in Trunk and not in that patch.

Just tried, its impossible to have 2 docks adjacent with rail. I would be happy to see how you do it. ;-)
Image (the rail belongs half to dock and other half to the other dock)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Those two docks look pretty adjacent to me.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

DaleStan wrote:Those two docks look pretty adjacent to me.
The problem was to create a rail station that was seperated from both docks.
vwspeedracer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vwspeedracer »

Never tried it before... Is this what you're talking about?
Attachments
2 Docks and a Train Station
2 Docks and a Train Station
2 docks and a station.png (32.66 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
Fan of: Image
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

PhilSophus wrote:I might have a look at this, but probably not today.
That would be really nice PhilSophus, I'm guessing you just have to add some sort of hook when the 'error' message pops up, so maybe not such a hard task for someone who can actually code c++ :) Good luck with it.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

That would be too late, Trond ;) The right place to look would be CmdPlaceStation or something similar.

edit: it's actually CmdBuildRailroadStation in station_cmd.cpp
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Not to hard to figure out for someone who can actually code c++ then :P So I was sortoff right, hehe

Bertrand Russell

Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Maybe the screen with the railstation wasn't clear enough. (the station was split into 2, 1 per dock, check the symbols in the station names)

An other screen with roadstops should be clear now:

Greets
Ammler
MrMox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MrMox »

An updated version of this patch to r12791:
distant_join_stations_r12791.patch
(24.02 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
PhilSophus
Chairman
Chairman

Post by PhilSophus »

As promised, a patch version with improved adjacent station handling. It should now behave as follows (if it doesn't it's my mistake :wink:):

If adjacent stations patch setting is off the newly built station will always join adjacent stations and if there are multiple ones it will give an error message. Of course, you may still join distant stations with CTRL if there are no adjacent stations.

With adjacent stations patch setting on it will behave as follows:
  • Without CTRL pressed: As without distant join (1 adjacent station: join it, more adjacent stations: error)
  • With CTRL pressed:
    • Exactly 1 adjacent station and no other station nearby: Build separate station
    • Otherwise: Show selector window
I tested only very shortly, so please report bugs here!

@Frostregen: Do you mind if I suggest this patch version for the Community Integrated Version Build 1?
Attachments
distant_join_stations_r12794.patch
(24.36 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Thanks PhilSophus and Frostregen

Just compiled and it works. :-)
Now, this patch is really helpful for eyecandy games.

Greets
Ammler
Frostregen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Frostregen »

@Philosophus: Thanks for asking ;)
Just use it for anything you want.
This patch is maintained by the community anyway,
(which i like)
so it is perfect for beeing integrated into a community pack :)

Greetings,
Frostregen
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Any chance for an update to latest trunk?

Bertrand Russell

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Trond wrote:Any chance for an update to latest trunk?
I gave it a try (first ottd code modification for me, first c code for at least 5 years) in order to check how far I get as a noob to patching. The whole day work succeeded, here is a patch to r13031, probably coding style needs a cleanup and a look through by a more competent person certainly will help. Comments and critizism welcome.

Note: it appears that tile info doesn't work, but it didn't work for plain trunk either for me.
Attachments
r13031DJ.diff
distant join for r13031
(24.57 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
MJS
Director
Director

Post by MJS »

Tough work, but compliments! (For the fact that you did it - I haven't been able to check the result yet.)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”