My Patch - Very Large Map

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Nickel_Plate
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

My Patch - Very Large Map

Post by Nickel_Plate »

Have been patching trunk with my patch (enclosed), this has been working ok up to r7571. I am now getting an assertion error after compiling r7573 this was when the bridge branch was merged

Openttd.exe Saveload.c line 1059

Expression: Index _Savegame_Pool.Total_Items

Could someone explain what as gone wrong or point me in the righ direction to solve this problem
Attachments
Cyril r7571.patch
(2.98 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Well, it *might* be caused by doubling the 500 to 1000 in STATIC_OLD_POOL; (4096*4096)/(2048*2048) = 4, not 2, so maybe 2000 solves it.

Note: I did not try your patch, so it is nothing more than a guess.
Nickel_Plate
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nickel_Plate »

Thanks changing it to 2000 seems to have done the trick, it must have been a fluke that it worked before by using 1000
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Larger maps? Isn't 2048 x 2048 not big enough? :P
Well, why not anyway... 4098 x 4098 is nice aswell. :mrgreen:
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

i already have some little problems running 2048x2048 maps, like when i press the fast forward which does nothing... and i have P4 3GHz and 512MB of ram

how do you plan to play on 4096 maps? google earth?

(if you resolve also memory problems it would be nice also a 65536x65536)
Quark
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Quark »

Wolf01 wrote:(if you resolve also memory problems it would be nice also a 65536x65536)
Waaah! Please add 4x bigger industries for this :) And 1000 ppl as minimal town size :)
willisterman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by willisterman »

Actually, 65536*65536 is only really about 500 miles*500 Miles. With very low towns and super low industries it would be quite realistic.

OpenTTD only uses about 40mb of ram in a 2048*2048 game, with a 65536*65536 my maths says about 10gb of memory... No Problem!
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

More in the range of 40 GB :)
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

that is why i suggested google maps :lol:
Nickel_Plate
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nickel_Plate »

I asked for larger maps a long time ago, as i got no response i tried myself.

Will have to look into Google maps, but at the moment just playing around and testing.

I enclose latest diff.
Attachments
001_Extra_Large_Map_r7692.diff
(2.98 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
Starbud
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: My Patch - Very Large Map

Post by Starbud »

I also like the idea with large maps but i think the best way to do it is to spread the map over several computers so that each computer maintain a part of the map.
That way i think we will se very large assemblys.
Maybe there can be a dynamic workload for when the map changes and some areas become crowded with trains.
http://openttd.org - i love building stuff :)
Someones play with pics http://dimalimsliv.blogg.se
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Splitting the map across several computers is not possible due to way networking works in openttd. Implementing such idea would require basically completely rewriting most of the code... so I don't think it will happen in near future
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Starbud
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Starbud »

Oh i c.
Maybe a temporary thing would be to split the game itself in two?, according to someone i know OTTD is almost made in sections some way, i think i heard someone talking about the possibility to have an graphicspart and an mathematical part.

Can one way of handing over trains to another map be like having like 10 tiles per track going out over the map edge to be defined to be sort of like a boardercrossing between two countries?
Shouldnt that make the handover to cope with the internet?
bob27
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bob27 »

Starbud wrote: Can one way of handing over trains to another map be like having like 10 tiles per track going out over the map edge to be defined to be sort of like a boardercrossing between two countries?
Shouldnt that make the handover to cope with the internet?
I see what your saying, kind of like having a road go across the border in Sim City 4. I'm not sure how that would be done, but I know it was done in Lego LOCO with trains. (Heh Heh, I still have that game)
chrissicom
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by chrissicom »

I think there are more problems with map size than just RAM. I compiled a Win64 binary of OpenTTD and tried it on Vista 64-bit with 4 GB Ram and when I try to create bigger maps than 4096x4096, for example 8192x8192 it already gives me an error. 4k both sides only uses about 175 MB of RAM, that's really nothing compared to what Supreme Commander or Civ IV can eat up for example. But I admit that performance with many vehicles becomes pretty bad especially when there are AI players on the map :D
Starbud
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Starbud »

I for one like those large maps, nothing will ever be enough.
I can imagine that there will be a need for a new transporttype, - borg conduates that can carry 4 trains far far away, i guess that would look like a bunch of borg cubes in a row big as one tile carrying the trains at like 50 times faster than the maglevtrains.
Maybe even the speed of light for really big maps?

I'd like 8M by 8M tile maps :)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

You do realize that an 8M*8M map would require at least[0] 512 TB[1] of RAM just for the map? With another 512 TB to make the copy for saving, plus some more on top of that to do the compression?
Where did you buy the computer with that quantity of memory, please? I want one.

[0] Assuming 8 bytes per tile. If memory serves, it was 9 at one point, but I also remember much ranting about that, so things might have gotten changed there.
[1] 1 TB = 1024 GB
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Starbud
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Starbud »

Yes youre right, it's A LOT more memory than todays normal computers.
I think it's doable with A LOT of reconstruction of the game.
I figure that the method to be used is the same as for big outdoor led displays, there they use small computers that take care of a portion of the screen and inport and export screendata to and from other portions of the screen.
I guess the same split of regions can be done in OTTD, maybe this is where i should tell that i'm not that good as a programmer, i know mostly basic stuff and do programming for the fun of it, mostly in assembly on microcontrollers where C or C++ is very rare.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

And your experience with microcontrollers says that it should be possible to pack at least 32 TB of entropy[0] in to exactly what size memory space? While still performing quick random accesses?

[0] Figuring 4 bits of entropy per tile. This is certainly low.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Starbud
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Starbud »

Evidently i explain in a bad manner lol.
The map have to be spread out over many servers and the clients are just using one server at a time.
But the trains are transferred between servers.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”