Snow in Temperate Climate

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Chicago Rail Authority »

Rich,
Understandable - I wasn't trying to push this on you :). Enjoy your break, I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I'm looking forward to the additional airports.

Also - have you heard anything more about the 'mega-climate' idea becoming a reality?
Thanks again!

To everyone else,
Unless I'm mistaken, we'll need 1) someone who knows how to code, and 2) either permission to use existing graphics, or a new set of snowy temperate tiles.

Am I missing anything? Are there any volunteers? :)
Many thanks to those who make OTTD and TTDP possible.
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

richk67 wrote:Well, from my POV this isnt going to happen anytime soon. 3 reasons:
1) Im having a small break, and then I'll get back to working on newgrf airports.
2) The graphics for the snow in temp patch belong to M.Blunck, and I received special permission to include it in MiniIN. I have not sought a wider release that would be needed for trunk.
3) It may be academic if a fullblown all-climates-in-one-scenario option is created.
Nothing stopping anyone else working on it though.
Hasn't M.Blunk given OTTD permition for usage of his graphics some time ago?
Uncle Dex Says: Follow the KISS Principle!
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Well, the mail I received from him was specific to my patch, and gave me permission to edit the alpinew.grf to extract the tiles I needed, and then allowed me to distribute the new .grf as part of the MiniIN package with the appropriate amended licences.

Michael was really helpful, and I was happy to meet his requirements. I don't know if he has given a blanket release - I would *very* much doubt he has. Maybe open for usage, but for editing/derivative work and distribution I think it would be incredibly unlikely that he has thrown it open. I certainly wouldn't do it given the efforts he's made to protect his work so far.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Dextro wrote:Hasn't M.Blunk given OTTD permition for usage of his graphics some time ago?
You´re refering to the old orudge thread "graphics we´re allowed to use" or similar.

But that has nothing to do with copyright of my .grfs which doesn´t allow re-distributing in altered or modified form.

Concerning "snow in temperate", shouldn´t OTTD be able to use "alpineset[w].grf" which contains all the needed graphics and even more (snow for original buildings and industries)?

regards
Michael
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

michael blunck wrote:
Concerning "snow in temperate", shouldn´t OTTD be able to use "alpineset[w].grf" which contains all the needed graphics and even more (snow for original buildings and industries)?

regards
Michael
Tried, OTTD won't even load it.

Peter1138, any ideas?
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

dylan.farrow wrote:
michael blunck wrote:

regards
Michael

Peter1138, any ideas?
Which version are you using? It should work with the nightlies.
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

White Rabbit wrote:
dylan.farrow wrote:

Peter1138, any ideas?
Which version are you using? It should work with the nightlies.
Latest nightly, unless I did something wrong...
Maedhros
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Maedhros »

White Rabbit wrote:Which version are you using? It should work with the nightlies.
It won't load without newindustries.
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Maedhros wrote:
White Rabbit wrote:Which version are you using? It should work with the nightlies.
I was pretty sure. Now I know I was thinking of something else.
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

michael blunck wrote:
Dextro wrote:Hasn't M.Blunk given OTTD permition for usage of his graphics some time ago?
You´re refering to the old orudge thread "graphics we´re allowed to use" or similar.

But that has nothing to do with copyright of my .grfs which doesn´t allow re-distributing in altered or modified form.

regards
Michael
Thanks for the clarification, that was the exact thread I was thinking about.
White Rabbit wrote:
Maedhros wrote:
I was pretty sure. Now I know I was thinking of something else.
It worked until some changes were made in preparations for newindustries if I'm not mistaken.
Uncle Dex Says: Follow the KISS Principle!
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

The extract I have is just the terrain tile graphics, without industry supporting code or anything, so that will work. But its not in any releaseable form, and I would want to wait for OpenTTD to support all-climates simultaneously before asking for any sort of distribution permission for the graphics.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
Eisenbaehr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Eisenbaehr »

How to use correctly the diff posted on first page?
I've tried to load it into BuildOTTD (1.0-RC-1). This means the file has an unknown format.
By compiling this with r8642 I got some errors.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

If you noticed, the last source for that patch is r4442. It was included within the MiniIN, but has otherwise not been updated. (and wont be)

When OTTD is capable of having all climates in one landscape, I will maybe update the patch.
Firework Photography
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

richk67 wrote:When OTTD is capable of having all climates in one landscape, I will maybe update the patch.
Have we gone from "if" to "when"? :)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

I've always wanted to create a multi-climate scenario to properly create a USA map. However, when I tested out what could be done, I found that it needed 2 things; separation of snow and desert since they use the same map bits, and newindustry support to allow use of non-native industries within the base climate.

The first of these is/was fairly easy - we just need to find 1 bit to identify the tile as desert or snow in addition to its current setting.

For the second, the map has been capable for a long time to display the graphics of the other industries, just not to be able to make all the industries appear on the same map. This is hopefully coming soon.

What would then be needed (ideally) would be to have the ability to load multiple motive power sets at the same time; so you could use temperate trains in the plains, arctic trains in the mountains, and tropical trains in the desert.

If I can get motivated to do anything - hard at the moment - then this is something I would be really interested in, as it opens up the possibilities of some stunning maps. I would definitely revisit my Africa map, and add in the coal, iron ore, livestock, wheat, etc. industries that are missing from the tropical map.

So its sort of an if, but since newindustries is happening, it is more likely a (long term) when.
Firework Photography
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Thanks, Rich... I know I've bugged you about this via PM plenty :) (apologies, of course).
What would then be needed (ideally) would be to have the ability to load multiple motive power sets at the same time; so you could use temperate trains in the plains, arctic trains in the mountains, and tropical trains in the desert.
I hadn't thought of that... but it sounds brilliant.
..development ideas, etc....
Well... as NewIndustries wraps up and you find some time after you finish your work on the real-world airports (which look amazing, btw)... Feel free to drop a PM my way if you want help organizing ideas/etc. I'd be happy to contribute in any way that I can.
Valance
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Snow in Temperate Climate

Post by Valance »

After being absent for some years it makes me sad to see nobody completed this patch. It took me several hours but I got it working against trunk. Snow in temperate climate looks amazing with opengfx :)

Now I have a problem: changing house sprites between their snowed and non-snowed versions isn't working. And I've got no idea how to do it xD
Using Total Town Replacement Set and Swedish Houseset it's working, but not with normal houses (tried it with original windows gfx and with opengfx). First I thought I could have missed something, because there is the variable snow line height feature in trunk. Even in unmodified trunk and arctic climate using a grf for variable snow line height, openttd isn't changing the house sprites. Seems this feature isn't complete xD

I would like to solve this issue before posting the patch, someone an idea?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Sounds good.

A number of temperate houses have (also in original TTD) no snowy versions. As such they cannot be displayed as snow covered. NewGRFs otoh have access to the tiletype variable and change their appearance accordingly.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

houses must be made "snow-aware", which the default houses are not. this can be done by newgrf, though. e.g. alpine climate does that, most of the house sets do as well.

if you are unlucky, the snowy default houses, despite looking the same, have completely different house IDs.

anyway, i don't think it should be part of a patch like this.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Valance wrote:I would like to solve this issue before posting the patch, someone an idea?
Maybe houses without snow sprite shouldn't appear over the snowline.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]

Return to “OpenTTD Development”