Improved smooth_economy patch

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

You should probably have those patches in the same file.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Yes, you're right - here's a unified file. :)

EDIT: Just updated, so the SVN doesn't nag about the industry_cmd.c version. It's now compatible with nightly 2490 (and up....).
Attachments
smooth_economy_enum_allinone_2490.patch
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
my_ind_patch_comments.txt
(2.14 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

And now - at last - the version 1.0 of my patch. :D

Improved is the behaviour of industries, that are not used/idle - no more message floods from industry, just occasionaly (usually once 2 months) a message.

"Screenshots" of industry_cmd.c:

Code: Select all

if ((i->pct_transported[j] > PERCENT_USED_A) && CHANCE16I(1, CHANCE_USED, r)) 
                   new += ((RandomRange(AMOUNT_A) + AMOUNT_B) * old) >> 8; 

if ((i->pct_transported[j] < PERCENT_USED_B) && (i->pct_transported[j] > 0) && CHANCE16I(1, CHANCE_USED, r) && (old > MIN_RATE)) 
                   new -= ((RandomRange(AMOUNT_A) + AMOUNT_B) * old) >> 8; 

if ((i->pct_transported[j] == 0) && CHANCE16I(1, _total_industries, r) && (old > (MIN_RATE + 1))) 
                   new += AMOUNT_UNUSED_A - (RandomRange(AMOUNT_UNUSED_B));
and industry.h:

enum {
	AMOUNT_A = 50,
	AMOUNT_B = 10,
    AMOUNT_UNUSED_A = 2,
	AMOUNT_UNUSED_B = 5,
	CHANCE_USED = 50,
	MIN_RATE = 5,
    PERCENT_USED_A = 153,
    PERCENT_USED_B = 127,
};
Here it is (the patch for nightly 2490 and above...):
Attachments
smooth_economy_sz_v1-0.patch
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
sz_ind_patch_comments_v1-0.txt
(2.27 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Again - a minor only update - I simplified the code a bit and changed the idle behaviour - there will be some more industry messages, but only in the biggest maps (>512x512 tiles), which is quite normal, as there are A LOT of industries (at least ten thousand producing - also the area of 2048x2048 map is 16 times bigger than that of 512x512 and the number of messages only increases by some 12 (not factor :))).
To make it simple - just disable "Economy changes" messages in "News Settings". ;)

Happy building.

P.S.: A bit corrected - too simplified on some areas in 1.1.

Code "screenshots":
industry_cmd.c

new = old = i->production_rate[j];

if ((i->pct_transported[j] > PERCENT_INCREASE) && CHANCE16I(1, CHANCE_USED, r)) 
                   new += ((AMOUNT_A + RandomRange(AMOUNT_B)) * old) >> 5; 

if ((i->pct_transported[j] < PERCENT_DECREASE) && (i->pct_transported[j] > 0) && CHANCE16I(1, CHANCE_USED, r) && (old > MIN_RATE)) 
                   new -= ((AMOUNT_A + RandomRange(AMOUNT_B)) * old) >> 5; 

if ((i->pct_transported[j] == 0) && CHANCE16I(1, CHANCE_UNUSED + (_total_industries >> 6), r) && (old > MIN_RATE)) 
                   new += (old >> 2) - RandomRange(old >> 1);
industry.h

enum {
	AMOUNT_A = 3,
	AMOUNT_B = 5,
	CHANCE_USED = 33,
	CHANCE_UNUSED = 50,
	MIN_RATE = 5,
   PERCENT_DECREASE = 127,
	PERCENT_INCREASE = 153,
};
And patches (from source/trunk 2521):
Attachments
smooth_economy_sz_v1-2.patch
Patch
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
sz_ind_patch_comments_v1-2.txt
Comments
(2.3 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
RaptoR
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaptoR »

@SirkoZ

thanks a lot for this patch man - but it would be great if you would change the first post of this topic, it would be a lot easier to find the new versions ;)
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Thank you for your kind words. :D

I shall put the latest version of it in the first post too.

Please - tell me, if you find industry too responsive, because in the latest version I raised the chance to increase/decrease from 2 to 3% and it seems quite responsive...
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

1.4 - Increase is smaller with bigger productions with this one and idle production ranges from 32 to around 170 (not much more) and the "safety switches" are gone. :)
Attachments
smooth_economy_sz_v1-4.patch
(2.28 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
sz_ind_patch_comments_v1-4.txt
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Just a compatibility release - for source r2653 and up.
Attachments
smooth_economy_sz_v1-4_r2653.patch
(2.28 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
CheeseWeaver
Engineer
Engineer

Industry is dying!

Post by CheeseWeaver »

Hello!
i use the LKraiders integrated build which includes your patch 1.4, and i have some problems that seem to have to do with the improved smooth economy.
i hope i can write about it here anyway, since it has with changing industry production to do. perhaps it belongs in the integrated build patch thread thouigh.

it is a great idea, but it doenst work for me.
when i started the industries had normal outputs. however, after i connected them to my railroad network, production seems to drop, and most alarmingly in iron ore mines. my iron or mines was 80-110 production when i started, but now all but one of my 8 iron ore mines have dropped in production to 27-30 ore per month. this is while serviced by several trains, and in the lowest producing mines i transport 99% of all the ore(!). this occurs with other industries too, for example a coal mine, which produced 240 at the start, and now have dropped to 110 cpm even though basically constantly loading trains and a % transported of 65-70 or more.

i did an experiment when i chose a station, made sure it always had trains on full load waiting, increased my town rating, bought a statue, and fast forwarded. the production was stuck on 27 iron ore for several years.
Attachments
Malwich Motors, 13th Dec 1947.png
This shows the low production of the industries
(52.14 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
This shows the low production and high transported %
This shows the low production and high transported %
Malwich Motors, 21st Nov 1947.png (40.71 KiB) Viewed 7744 times
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. ;)

In the LKRaider's Integrated nightly build 2424i4 there is the v1.2 of my Industry patch included and not 1.4, although none of the patches cause such drastic decrease regardless of non-use of industry.

The general idea is to have station rating over 60% for industry to increase (in time (2% chance)). Of course if your stations are not visited by road vehicle/train the cargo will not be going to it (because of another patch in the "i4").

Now if industry is not used, there's a mild tendency to decrease (over increase), but slowly (only 2% chance).
Please read my 1.2 comments.

The second (and first too for that matter) screenshot shows the productions in "world recession" - all the productions go to 1/2.

In all the "i4" games I've played/seen/tested in countless hours, this hasn't happend yet and also you should look again at the settings and installation of your integrated nightly build.
StavrosG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by StavrosG »

PLEASE try to reproduce the bug in a stand-alone build (ie clean svn+the relevant patch one) before asking for help...
...most of those patches that went into the "integrated" build are not ready/stable enough and they were not designed to integrate with each other, so many problems should be because of all the patches together, not because of some individual one.
thank you. ;)
If ain't broken, don't fix it. | JabberID: stavrosg@jabber.org

Hello, I am a signature virus. Please copy me to your signature to help me spread.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Well, Stavros, that is not a bad idea, however my patch is totally independent of the other patches and the workings are explained in the comments file with the "i4" 1.2 release - it's somewhere in this topic. :wink:
CheeseWeaver
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CheeseWeaver »

wow, that was a very fast reply, and from the programmer as well. thanks a lot. i really appreciate your efforts in improving the game.

i'm sorry for the misunderstanding about 1.2/1.4. the readme of r2424i4 doesnt really say.

I finally realized what a world recession is, and that explains the low amounts of cargo. i didnt know this at first, and experimented in some ways to find out what was wrong. it turns out that i switched economy-fluctating to steady while i was in the recession, which meant that all industries permanently only have half production. apparently they wont increase from cargo transported either.
does your patch work with economy-steady?
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Well - I try to get my patch to the people, and not even being a programmer, but an avid fan. :)

Anyhow - it works with steady and fluctuating economy. You can get the better productions again, just switch to fluctuating and wait (usually not more than 1 year) for the productions to get normal again and then you can safely switch to steady. Apart from 3 (1-year) recessions in 100 years, the fluctuating economy is nothing scary. :)

I think it'll perform nicely for you - just build and efficient system and have over 60% station ratings and don't worry about industries - they'll increase. ;)
CheeseWeaver
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CheeseWeaver »

well, the recession did not end ever after almost a decade after switching to fluctating again, so i guess that that is a bug. i guess i'll revert to an earlier save. also the 27 producing industries did not go up again with 99% transported.

i am confused that if it is the *ratings* or the *% transported* that affects production, the source seems to indicate it is the latter.

i understand that it would help i i isolate the problem, but i am really not interested in downloading compilers and libs and have all the hassle with building my own special exe, i just want to play the game, and LKraiders build add several important features that i desire, unstable and untested though.

OpenTTD will surely be a great game over time as all features mature.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Well - that recession could also be a bug in "i4", it worked for me in normal OTTD and the nightly...

Well - it's % transported, but I said station ratings, as they affect % transported.

Read the comments with my patch and you'll see industries can't really increase from that low productions, because it increases in small increments (10-25%) and it increases the amount (production_rate), that is given 8 or 9 times per month and not the whole production_level - again read the comments.
To increase such low productions I'd have to use at least 50% increases, but that would be very similar to non_smooth economy. Imagine one saying - Woohoo - my mine increased from 16 to 24 tonnes per month - with existing patch and 1.2 in "i4" productions don't fall under 40/32 (no point) and can easily increase, if you'd let the recession end normally.

If they are too low - just press CTRL+ALT+C and set them higher and they'll pick up.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Some minor improvements in "increase if-clause".
Attachments
smooth_economy_sz_v1-5_r2653.patch
(2.3 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
sz_ind_patch_comments_v1-5.txt
(2.12 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
Last edited by SirkoZ on 30 Jul 2005 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
CheeseWeaver
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CheeseWeaver »

my problems are solved now, and i dont really have those very low productios, but it doesnt get very high eighter at stations i serve often, but perhaps i dont wait long enough (i've played 1930-1968).

i wonder if it is worth to make my own build, is it very fussy to get right? i do quite a bit of programming, and use SDL for my own programs, is it possible to build OpenTTD in MSVS.NET 2003?
but that was off topic, you dont have to answer that. i'll look around for info.

great work on the patch!

a comment on the 1.5 readme, the .txt document still says 1.4 at top.
Last edited by CheeseWeaver on 30 Jul 2005 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
Asterix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Asterix »

CheeseWeaver wrote:i wonder if it is worth to make my own build, is it very fussy to get right? i do quite a bit of programming, and use SDL for my own programs, is it possible to build OpenTTD in MSVS.NET 2003?
OT-answer:
It sure is possible to compile in MSVS.NET 2003, as long as the included project file is up-to-date (sometimes it takes a few hours till the .vcproj is updated for new/renamed files) and if nobody has broken compatibility (which happens sometimes, too, but is usually solved shortly afterwards).
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

CheeseWeaver - I'm glad you like it :D - well - it does take some more time to get to higher values, but the bigger the production, the smaller are the increases (kind of exponential) and it can decrease (seldomly) just a little bit too.
General behaviour/idea of my patch: you build the rail system as efficient as possible and industry will act accordingly - more efficient, higher productions. :)

BTW - I'll update/correct the 1.4 in the readme. :)

As for MS VS.NET - yes, it compiles nicely - I use it - just follow the compile tips on wiki.openttd.org .
You have to have SDL, png files (useful files), put them in VS Vc7's "lib" and "include" dir and it'll work nicely.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”