Path Based Signalling!!! (pbs v080)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Hackykid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hackykid »

@Zahl
Well, about the stations, i've been thinking about a solution that will allow more sophisticated layouts where stations are integrated with pbs blocks on both sides, and i think that will also solve what you are talking about.. but, it may be some time before i implement that...
(btw, putting a 'buffer' normal signal before the pbs signal at the exit of your station should solve your problem in the meantime)

@RookieTycoon
Yes, i've thought of that idea too, the problem with having more signal states is that it needs more bits to store in the map, and maybe redoing of other code that handles signals... but still, i think eventually this will happen too. And maybe pbs signals will have 2 lights or something to distinguish them from normal signals.

@StavrosG
Hmm, trains should not release paths when inside pbs blocks anymore....
A savegame would help :-)
(/me secretly hopes that it is a design flaw in your junction :-P)
DopeFish Lives!!!
SergeS
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by SergeS »

When it will be added to nightly builds ?
StavrosG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by StavrosG »

SergeS wrote:When it will be added to nightly builds ?
When it is ready. And after 0.4.0 for sure.

</OT>

I managed to find what STILL causes trains to release their paths;
bad track design. =)
In the attached savegame, I am converting my network to monorail, and I removed the entrance of a depot that still held railway locos.
Trains wanting to go there entered the block without reserving track, AND didn't exit it in a couple of cases. The result is easy to imagine. :>
Attachments
pbs_crash11.sav
(470.24 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
If ain't broken, don't fix it. | JabberID: stavrosg@jabber.org

Hello, I am a signature virus. Please copy me to your signature to help me spread.
MacBaine
Engineer
Engineer

"Assertion failed" and track stays black

Post by MacBaine »

Just tried your pbs patch. I got this after converting the junction near "Sundingstone Mines" to pbs signals:

openttd: rail_cmd.c:1559: DrawTile_Track: Assertion `pbs != 0xFF' failed.

Attached you will find the last autosave before the crash. There is also a piece of track in the junction that stays black.

The PBS is a great feature!! I hope it gets stable enough to be integrated into openttd.

Regards,
Jim

PS: This savegame reprocibly crashes with the error above, when you scroll the view around. Try to follow the track south-east from Sundingstone.
Attachments
blacktrack.sav
(137.32 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Hackykid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hackykid »

@StavrosG
Ok, i found out what caused your crash, and its a bit tricky to fix correctly. I'll do it later... or, a might release a hotfix thingy if its really needed....

@MacBaine
Thats some weird savegame...
Firstly, the black tracks you see in the screen where you begin, had nothing to do with the assertion error, and is probably caused by a train reversing, because of a jam or something.

As for the assert, thats REALLY weird, unfortunately i cannot find the cause for the problem, as it is already present in the savegame......
(if you'd like, i could fix the savegame for you manually, if so contact me on irc)
DopeFish Lives!!!
StavrosG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by StavrosG »

I prefer a proper fix later. The problem is annoying, yes, but happens on so certain (and rare) conditions that it doesn't need immidiate attention. :)
If ain't broken, don't fix it. | JabberID: stavrosg@jabber.org

Hello, I am a signature virus. Please copy me to your signature to help me spread.
Hackykid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hackykid »

The new version (v056) does not change all that much, its only a hotfix for a strange problem that sometimes could happen with pbs-blocks at station exits.

But, its based on latest svn, where some annoying desync problems have been fixed :-)
DopeFish Lives!!!
Goldwyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldwyn »

I know that a known bug for pbs is that trains won't enter a block if they can't find their destination. However, is it a NPF problem that a train won't enter a pbs block if forced servicing is included along it's destination track? (a forced servicing included anywhere after a pbs block while cause a train to not enter the block)
NTP doesn't seem to have a problem with forced servicing between destination.

Note: Attached saved game is using dbsetw.grf (v 0.5) (cargosetw.grf also, but i don't know if that will affect anything) Saved game is without forced servicing right now, but the track can be removed to force trains into the depot.
Attachments
Frindtown Transport, 10th Jan 1970.sav
(450.01 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Hackykid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hackykid »

@Goldwyn
Yes, as the npf cannot plan 'through' depots (yet), any forced servicing setup will cause it to not find its destination. And, thus, not enter any pbs blocks.

I've been working on a new pbs version, which will let trains enter pbs blocks even when they cant find their destination, this whould solve some of this stuff.
DopeFish Lives!!!
Goldwyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldwyn »

Not sure if this is a known bug, but PBS doesn't to reserve tracks if a tunnel is present?

Note: Saved game is from same game as above. Using dbsetw.grf. You can watch the crash in progress.

P.S. thank you for including PBS, it's fun watching all the trains run in and out like little ants.
Attachments
Frindtown Transport, 23rd Mar 2044.sav
(511.48 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Hackykid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hackykid »

hmm i cant load that game no matter what grf files i load...

I tried dbset, dbset+cargoset, dbsetxl, but it just wont work......
DopeFish Lives!!!
Goldwyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldwyn »

hmm, I guess I must had put in urban renewal beta2 and newstations. I can post that grf file it modified to see if it works.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Just thought I'd say I love this patch, though I have a habit of getting crashed trains! :/

Don't know if this counts as a bug or just a graphical glitch...
Attachments
levelcrossing.png
levelcrossing.png (40.19 KiB) Viewed 6082 times
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

i just must say some words to PBS.............

Great to have it!!!! Good work so far.

I had no crashes but an other problem.... sometimes my engines stop at a Signal, and dont drive, there is no patchreserving, nothing. And other engines cant drive because the first one stopps all. The only thing i can do is to remove the signal, and the signal the train wants to leave the PBS-Block.....
Goldwyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldwyn »

Bernhard: That is a known bug with PBS right now. A train does not enter a block because it can not find it's destination. I assume you have forced servicing somewhere in your tracks?

peter1138: I've also seen that and believe it is just a graphical glitch. The reserved track displays only seems to work with railroads.

(hmm, seems I unable to attach my grf file)
Last edited by Goldwyn on 31 Mar 2005 06:34, edited 1 time in total.
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

Hi Goldwyn, no, i don't have any Depots in the PBS.... a realy simple crossing... 4 tracks in, 6 tracks out
Goldwyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldwyn »

ohh. I had trains not entering PBS blocks because of forced servicing. Maybe you could post your saved game as reference when Hacky fixes the problem.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Bernhard, it can also happen if you have a single incorrect (wrong direction) signal elsewhere further on the train's route.
Hackykid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hackykid »

hey, guys, its been a while, but there is a new pbs version (v061) :-)

Now, trains without a destination should enter (and reserve track in) a pbs block.

But, this required some reworking of parts of the logic and stuff, so there *may* be more bugs (and crashes) in this version then in the last one.
So, I can use some help tracking them down :-), for best results, post a savegame just BEFORE any of the involved trains enter the pbs blocks.
DopeFish Lives!!!
Goldwyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldwyn »

This is problably a problem with the junction, but I was wondering why all the trains heading south (?) are only choosing once track to use?

Note: this save does not use any grfs. (oops, urban renewal and newstation i think?)

Second problem seems to be a train ended up going to another station's PBS block causing a crash. (seems trains are obeying their servicing intervals now compared from last patch, thus making my current track layout a huge nightmare) Train 17 (grain train) entered the PBS block without reserving a track and thus is invisible to the train behind it. Upon looking at other trains, seems that any train ending up at stations that they are not currently scheduled to head too does the same thing. This problaby is due to my current track layout and functioning scheduled maintaince?

Note: this saved game is from same game that you had a problem opening. Ahh, found out reason for not loading, I also used trafficsetw.grf. Before, I did not have a problem with enabling and disabling trafficsetw with previous games. I wonder why it mattered now? Sorry for leaving out information.

Edit?: For train 17, I added and set the current destination to the station it's currently (i.e. forced) heading towards and it was able to reserve a track.

Edit 2: I just noticed that there are a set of trains (i.e. train 64 and the trains that share orders) that are looping around endlessly in my crossover tracks. I'm sure that other trains are having the same problem as they try to make way around the stations.
Attachments
Frindtown Transport, 8th Jun 2059.sav
problem #2?
(513.62 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Trondingstone Transport, 23rd Oct 2051.sav
problem #1?
(517.8 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Last edited by Goldwyn on 02 Apr 2005 04:39, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”