Path Based Signalling!!! (pbs v080)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

thetzar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thetzar »

I'm at school right now so I can't grab this patch, but I just wanted to say that you're my personal hero for implementing this. PBS is the one great big thing from the Patch that I just couldn't wait to see in OpenTTD.
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

so, here is my savegame..... unpause it, the first train arriving at the signal-block will stop... :(

sorry, i do have some grf's not everybody uses:

[newgrf]
dbsetxlw.grf
vt133.grf
newstatsw.grf
re160schnell.grf

they are in the zip as well (vt133 & re160)
Attachments
grfs_savegame.zip
(158.57 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Goldwyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldwyn »

Bernhard: I already updated to newest build of PBS (and deleted last build already, so I could not check), but I think your problem has been fixed in the newest build. I am going to assume the problem is that the stuck trains were not able to reach your Duisdorf #37 waypoint (not sure why I see 2 waypoints with same name when I loaded game) and then reached your unload station's PBS block. Since they could not reach their current scheduled destination, they did not enter the PBS block. However, as mentioned, with newest build of PBS (v061), the trains are able to enter the PBS block, but they are still "lost".
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

Goldwyn, perfect work :D
Goldwyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldwyn »

You are thanking the wrong person Bernard :D. Everything is the work of Hackykid. All I'm doing is giving him more headaches.
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

ups...........sorry.....

Hackykid, great work :D

Goldwyn, thx for the info and help :)
Hackykid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hackykid »

@Goldwyn

About those savegames you posted, i'm still getting problems with grf stuff....
And i'm a bit busy lately, so i dont really have time to go hunt for all those .grf files.
If you post a zip (or something like it) with your savegame, your openttd.cfg, and all newgrf's used in that game, i'll take a look at it.
DopeFish Lives!!!
Goldwyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldwyn »

Oh yeah..... I could had used zips.

For the Frindtown save, an earilier save had vehicle breakdowns off and it didn't seem to have train crashing or becoming "lost". Maybe adding forced servicing is causing problems for the lost trains (i.e. train 64 and such)? I also did not want (i.e. too lazy) to manual change all the trains to 801 day servicing to prevent them from seeking scheduled maintaince with breakdowns turn on. (With no vehicle breakdowns, the trains mostly seem to have no problems.)

Also, the trains heading to Lower Sutown station seem to have partially working PBS. Now, when the ideal route is reserved, the next train behind it just waits at the signal instead of taking the alternate route that is open.
Attachments
myOpenTTD.rar
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 182 times
Hackykid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hackykid »

New pbs version (v062) does not change very much, but some improvements in the npf code since last version should help us too.

What has changed, is that you can now force train to ignore a red pbs signal like normal.

I've been a bit busy lately, and i *hope* i'll have more time soon, so i can go work on some important stuff, like reversing and depots.

@Goldwyn
I think the recent npf improvements have solved most of your problems, if not, let me know.
DopeFish Lives!!!
Goldwyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldwyn »

Not sure if this is a major problem, but it would be nice if the train could reserve and switch to the available track instead of waiting for the ideal path.

(The new npf works great with forced servicing.)
Attachments
Frindtown Transport, 24th Dec 2073.png
(129.18 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
acidd_uk
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by acidd_uk »

Wow, had my first opportunity to play with PBS in a big multiplayer game with my friends last night. Got to say I'm really impressed - works very nicely. Saw a few odd pieces of track not getting unreserved, but that could have been dodgy signal setup - only happened to a competitor...

Thanks for this Hackykid!

BTW, What about the auto signal patch - any progress on getting that included? It's still a huge pain to set up long lengths of signals...
Hackykid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hackykid »

@Goldwyn
Hmmm, the problem with that junction is, that is is too big. The trains are finding the longer route 'too long' and decide its faster to wait for a red signal to become green.

You could fix this be increasing some of the red signal penalties in openttd.cfg, but if you set them too high, wrong things can happen on other junction types.
You could start having the same problem that was present in the first pbs versions, trains choosing a track not leading to its destination, cause the one that was leading to it, was red.
DopeFish Lives!!!
Goldwyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldwyn »

I suspected that junction is a mess since the trains need to come from the side. Was curious since one of the previous pbs build (maybe v051?) allowed the junction to work somehow. (Reason for that particular layout :P) Since it's my fault, I'll just remake it :D.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Well HackyKid you could implement that on the instant the train is infront of a PBS Signal, it first checks all possible routes in the junction that can lead it to its final destination, then it checks wich of them are red, then it checks wich are green and picks the nearest green signal that leads to its destination, otherwise wait, and recheck.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

acidd_uk wrote:BTW, What about the auto signal patch - any progress on getting that included? It's still a huge pain to set up long lengths of signals...
If the 'lenghts' are straight lenghts, just drag the signal tool.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
acidd_uk
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by acidd_uk »

:-( No, I mean arbitrary length single paths of track - including curves...
Goldwyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldwyn »

Just out of curiousity, how is a station between 2 pbs blocks treated?

Noticed that for trains already past the first block, the next trains wait at the end of the first pbs block before entering. Yet if mulitiple trains enter the pbs block relatively at the same, they are able to continue on with out stopping.
Attachments
Frindtown Transport, 30th Apr 2085.png
wheee
(223.92 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Frindtown Transport, 21st Apr 2085.png
the second train is waiting
(223.28 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Hackykid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hackykid »

@Goldwyn

The station is treated like a pbs block too, because it has pbs signals on all exits. You can put a normal signal between the exit of the station and the pbs signal there to solve this behaviour.

@Akalamanaia

The problem is, that even routes who are not really leading to the destination, seem to DO lead there, because there is a possibility to turn around somewhere on the track. If all *real* routes are red, i want trains to wait.
But the only way to check if a route is real or it is one using a u-turn in some other direction, is to compare their distance.....

In other news:

Yay! In the new version (v063) depots inside pbs blocks should also work! Lemme know how it works out :-)

EDIT:

Already 1 bug has been identified and exterminated (v064).
Even more stuff fixed (v065).
DopeFish Lives!!!
Hazelrah
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hazelrah »

Hello all, newbie here.

I've been using OpenTTD for a little while now and stumbled apon the idea for PBS while researching signals. Wanting to know if OpenTTD would support it, since I'd rather just stick with that instead of playing with The Patch. I of course went to the wiki and found nothing. After a couple of days I thought about searching the forum and here this thread is. Nice job BTW, I love PBS!

Anyways, I was thinking about writing a wiki entry for it, but thinking about it, it may not be appropriate seeing as how it's hardly even an alpha feature yet. I of course would put a big warning at the top and a link to this thread in the entry. Who would I go about contacting to see how appropriate such an article would be at this time?

-Hazelrah
Goldwyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldwyn »

I'm not sure if this was mentioned as a known bug, but if a road is built on reserved tracks, the train that original reserved the track, does not/can not proceed and tries another way. All the tracks past the road is still reserved. Not a problem for me since I build bridges over my own tracks. However, when a town expands on its own across the tracks, it cuts off a possible path for trains to reserve.

Not sure if this problem is seen when the AI builds across reserved tracks.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”