Feature Request 1007911 - COMPLETED [Need Opinion]

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

I cannot find that screenshot.. do I have to register to see that?
Never fear, I is here...
mpetrov
Engineer
Engineer

Screenshot

Post by mpetrov »

The screenshot is right here:
http://vondel.student.utwente.nl/rpg/bug.png

It's in one of the comments made by vondel on the patch tracker.
The screenshot is by him because he found the bug.
Observer
Logo Creator

Re: Screenshot

Post by Observer »

mpetrov wrote:The screenshot is right here:
http://vondel.student.utwente.nl/rpg/bug.png

It's in one of the comments made by vondel on the patch tracker.
The screenshot is by him because he found the bug.
Hehehehe ok ok... I see what all the fuzz is about.

I would try to make the window a bit wider and put a new column behind the train number, and not behind the whole train... it would get confusing... I guess.
Well anyway, thats my opinion. :wink:
Never fear, I is here...
Bruno
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bruno »

Hmmm, why didn't u use a "if"...

Code: Select all

if(i<10) pos=...
else if(i<100) pos=...
   else pos=...
There is any problem with that? :$ :$ :$
(i don't know the code :()
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

One of

pos=a+b*int(log10(i)+1);
pos=a+b*int(log10(i));
would work better; it would continue to work on train numbers>999.
This works because floor(log10(i))+1 is the number of digits in the base-10 representation of an integer. For numbers of digits in other bases, use logs in other bases.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

Oh, so that's what they were trying to teach me in that logs class at school?
I see why i didn't pay attention in it now. ;)
mpetrov
Engineer
Engineer

Logs...

Post by mpetrov »

I'm a bit curious, how much strain on the CPU does the log instruction put? It seems to be a bit of an overkill, because I would assume it takes more cycles then an if statement or a case statement.
Dundee
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Logs...

Post by Dundee »

mpetrov wrote:I'm a bit curious, how much strain on the CPU does the log instruction put? It seems to be a bit of an overkill, because I would assume it takes more cycles then an if statement or a case statement.
Try it yourself:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>

int main (void) {
	int i;
	int z;
	for (i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) 
		z = log10(i);
	return 0;
}
It's probably overkill for the expected carriage lengths (single, double or triple digits). A 1000 (four digit) carriage train would, I think, stretch along two sides of a current map.

Nevertheless, a 1000 car train could happen, so watch for string overflows.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I thought "i" was a train number, not a train length.

And yes, tolerance for more than 999 trains is probably overkill, and over 9999 is almost definitely overkill, but still, there's the general concept of robustness that I like.

As for CPU load, how often would the log function get called?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
mpetrov
Engineer
Engineer

Redraw...

Post by mpetrov »

I think it's the paint event that calls it. I am not familiar with the code enough to tell you for sure, but I'm guessing it's either painted with the refresh rate or only when needed. In that case not more then 100 times a second. So you are right, CPU load should not be a concern. Tomorrow I will work on implementing the suggested changes into a patch, today I simply did not have time due to homework. I will look into expanding the window on the left side instead of the right, that way the need to add a new column will be much less.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Logs...

Post by Bjarni »

Dundee wrote:Nevertheless, a 1000 car train could happen, so watch for string overflows.
I think the limit for train size is around 109 units, including all engines
mpetrov wrote:I think it's the paint event that calls it. I am not familiar with the code enough to tell you for sure, but I'm guessing it's either painted with the refresh rate or only when needed. In that case not more then 100 times a second. So you are right, CPU load should not be a concern. Tomorrow I will work on implementing the suggested changes into a patch, today I simply did not have time due to homework. I will look into expanding the window on the left side instead of the right, that way the need to add a new column will be much less.

switch(e->event) {
case WE_PAINT: {
WE_PAINT is called every time

SetWindowDirty(w);
is called and w is a pointer to the window in question. This means that the calculations needed to draw the window is only done when this command is used, otherwise it's cached since OTTD presumes it's unchanged. Most windows are often only redrawn when clicked or a timer tells it to do so. I don't know how often the timer activates, but you have to set it for each window if you want to use it. The vehicle overview window is redrawn every 10th day so it's not a huge CPU killer

If you want to toy with it, you could add printf or something to your case WE_PAINT to see how often it's called
I think train depots are only redrawn if there are changes like you click it or a train enters or leaves, but I have not checked if there are other cases too
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Windows are only repainted when it is set dirty or you move the window. Also if something changes in the background; eg a vehicles moves behind the window; the window is also marked dirty and redrawn.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Hackykid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hackykid »

I have said this before on irc but i'll post it here so everyone can read it:

Counting the number of tiles instead of the number of vehicles is just plain stupid, if you want to build a long train, you want it to be EXACTLY x tiles long, so that means EXACTLY 2*x vehicles in the train.
By dividing that number by 2 and rounding, there is always the possibility you build 1 vehicle too many or to few, depending on which way you do the rounding.

(example: a 19 vehicle train and a 20 vehicle train are both 10 tiles long, so if i want a 20 vehicle train there is no way to see if i accidentily built a vehicle to few)

Dividing by two and rounding just discards usefull information, why the hell would you do that?
mpetrov
Engineer
Engineer

Update

Post by mpetrov »

After 4 days of silence I finally have a new implementation of the patch.
It has been approved by 3 people on IRC and hopefully will be approved by you as well. As usual please give me some feedback on this.

Sourceforge link to the patch tracker

Image[/url]
ledow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ledow »

+1 vote for this feature and for the patch that's on SF for it.
Observer
Logo Creator

Re: Update

Post by Observer »

mpetrov wrote:After 4 days of silence I finally have a new implementation of the patch.
It has been approved by 3 people on IRC and hopefully will be approved by you as well. As usual please give me some feedback on this.

Sourceforge link to the patch tracker

Image[/url]
That does look even better than before :shock: , and I agree with the vehicle count in stead of the tile count. Good job :!:
Never fear, I is here...
acidd_uk
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by acidd_uk »

+2 I like it. :-)
teeone
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by teeone »

looks good :D
mpetrov
Engineer
Engineer

Small update

Post by mpetrov »

I have made a small update to the diff file, now it is against rev 1494.
Due to numerous widget modifications it has became unusable, but the new file should solve the problem for a little bit. Still waiting on for any word from developers about an SVN addition, it seems to work well and the code should be clean.

SourceForge page for the diff file
CruDeLioS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CruDeLioS »

Hello,

I've taken this concept a little bit further.

This is my own code, I used this as a project to start understanding the basic inner workings of the gui. It shows the number of vehicles both in depots and in the train list window.
Attachments
Train listing also shows number
Train listing also shows number
Bruninghall Transport, 18th Aug 1950.png (82.45 KiB) Viewed 569 times

Return to “OpenTTD Development”