Just my 2 cents about your code

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

traskjd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by traskjd »

Thanks for the coding lession fabca2, I don't think I need an update on my first year of uni studies in comp sci from years ago though.

You may want to investigate the Express versions of the Microsoft development tools. They are free versions of their development environments which are currently in beta (but generally quite stable). I haven't checked to see if it does C / C++ unmanaged but you could check them out.

I must say, I really do get worked up by others who keep telling others why they should use old tools. To be frank - I don't care if you don't have the latest version of the tools (note: I don't speak for everyone else, just my point of view). As you point out, you can use other tools, I've also here tried to give other options. Worth noting is that Microsoft has nearly always made their development SDK available to everyone so if you just want the ability to compile newer code you can also get the compiler for free.

GCC, VS6,VS2k3, VS2k5 produces the same application, yes, but they by no means generate the same binary. In fact I'm willing to bet that they generate significantly different code under the covers.

I spend a lot of time in looking at tools, reading up on things etc on technology and I am not all too impressed when I have to spend a lot of time explaining to people why things are how they are when they aren't even willing to look around at what's actually out there - they would just prefer everyone stays in the stone age so they don't have to change. It's not going to happen.

I don't mean this to sound overly harsh but what I have said needs to be said. Do some more reading, investigate what I've told you here and you won't have any problems - and, as a bonus, it shouldn't cost you any money :-)

Alternatively, if you do still really[\b] need to use VS 6, why not make it your specialty to fix issues that make it not work so well with it?

Complaining doesn't help.

- JD
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Random contribution to this conversation: OpenTTD (with my patches) can now be built on OS/2 with Open Watcom 1.3, and getting it to build on Win32 with OW is also not too hard.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”