Station Add Ons

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Station Add Ons

Post by Stumo »

How about a series of buildings that can be added onto a station, that in themselves don't accept vehicles, but affect the station in general.

2 ideas I had:

- Taxi rank. Means the station accepts passengers from further away (maybe based on road distance from station). Useful for large citys or where the station can't be close to the town station. Eventually should have taxis going in and out, and so adds to congestion in the town, but can be implemented without. Should have a reasonably high running cost.

- Station Buffet. Means that passengers are happier to wait for longer periods, so if a station doesn't often get trains but each one takes many many passengers this will improve the rating.
- First class lounge. Similar to above.

- Shopping Center. Maybe could be placed over a train station (like Victoria Station, London) - means you get more income from passengers to the station, but has a high running cost so you need to get a lot of passengers coming in for it to be worthwhile.

I think/hope I can code these independently of other stuff going on, so I might have a try soon. Any volunteers for graphics appreciated - PM me and we can discuss stuff.
LordOfThePigs
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LordOfThePigs »

Those all sound good, and seem to make sense. That would be quite an addition.

It reminds me a little of Railroad Tycoon II.

Lord of the pigs
Sometimes I'm told "Brilliant"...
Sometimes I'm told "Charming"...
And Often I'm told "Shut Up"!
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I really like it, but big cities should be made first :D
jabberwalkee_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by jabberwalkee_ »

Yes it is A LOT like RR tycoon as well as transport giant. Station add-ons are very cool in my opinion.
Sionide
Director
Director

Post by Sionide »

taxi rank, good idea and the others - good thinking indeed..
...Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration...
...sionide.net...
Joker
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Joker »

Good ideas, IMHO
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Current Status

Post by Stumo »

I've been trying to implement the taxi rank. It's possible, and I'm probably about half way there, but it means changing a lot of different areas of code so it'll need a fair bit of testing.

Hopefully I'll have a patch people can test at the end of the week.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

you could be the next dev! :wink:
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Yeah, "Friendly dev of mine" :P
thetzar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thetzar »

Here's a seperate, but related idea; what about building a tram system not as a new network type, but as a station extension? So down the roads near a station, you could drag the tram tracks. Instead of micro-managing them,t hough, they'd simply extend a station's collection area. You could even link up stations like this, allowing them to share passengers with the new 'easy transfer'. I think this could be a fun addition, and could be quite realistic [especially with airports].

Of course, with big maps/big cities, the entire scale of the game changes. With the new map system, in the future we could see locomotion-style above and below-ground networks, allowing us to simulate regional rail, metro subways, light rail, and trams, rendering this point mute. But it would be fun until then. :)
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stumo »

Once I have a framework for adding non-vehicle buildings, we can do that kind of thing easily.

I'll probably have a patch for testing soon. It'll be very ropey initially though.
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stumo »

Here's a first version, against svn trunk version 943

You'll need to add the new openttd.grf file into data, and remove the opntitle.dat file from the data directory.

Known bugs:
- Graphics. I haven't got the hang of them yet, hence the taxi station is bright pink.
- At the moment you can't destroy a taxi station (although it's removed when the rest of a station is removed)
- The taxi station placement currently looks like a lorry station placement window.
- It doesn't close when the taxi station is built
- I've made no attempt to modify the save/load game code
- The taxi station won't take into account any changes in road layout
- Bridges and Tunnels are ignored.
- I've made no attempt to put this in the patches menu.

Please let me know any other bugs.

The taxi rank will take passengers from any building that is 10 squares away from it by road. At the moment you'll have to take my word for it, but eventually the gui will show this. It might be a long time before that happens though...

The 10 squares is set at compile time. I don't want to make it too large, as (under the current system) each station has (2n+1)^2 booleans added to the stations array, so this could eat up memory quick... I might see if I can think up a better option some time...

I might have a go at updating the patch to a more recent version of trunk some time next week.
Attachments
TaxiPatch.zip
The patch file and a new graphics file
(20.96 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

What 'bout an exe?
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stumo »

Here you go
Attachments
taxi-patch-v1-exe.zip
(400.88 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

re Graphics - like this?
Attachments
taxi.PNG
taxi.PNG (925 Bytes) Viewed 6847 times
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stumo »

As it's currently coded, it needs a dedicated square (like the lorry station) - and I'd prefer to keep it that way, as (a) you need to find space in the station for it, otherwise life is too easy and (b) life becomes more tricky code wise.

If you can do me a graphic modelled on the truck graphic (or even one with 2 entrances, esp if it won't look too bad if the 2nd one isn't used) that'd be great.
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stumo »

Patch on latest version (1007), together with exe for windows people.

I think that my image program (The GIMP) is misbehaving with the graphics, hence we have a delightfully pink taxi rank. Any help appreciated.
Attachments
taxi_patch_v2.zip
(414.48 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stumo »

Pink taxi rank fixed, thanks to domink81 - the problem was I was using the dos palette when encoding/decoding, which somewhat screwed things up...

Here is an updated graphics file.

I'll probably not be able to do any more work on the patch for a few days; I'd appreciate it if people could try it in large cities etc. and comment on whether it does help with passenger numbers. Screenshots would be nice too.
Attachments
openttd.grf
(25 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Something new.
Attachments
taxi.png
taxi.png (2.69 KiB) Viewed 6739 times
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stumo »

I like it, but I think it needs some height so we can see it over the other buildings; it'd also be nice if it said "taxi" on it somewhere (is that the same in all languages?) and had something of the company colour.

Maybe a waiting shelter, like the bus station?

Return to “OpenTTD Development”