everything i need to know in this thread please.

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

everything i need to know in this thread please.

Post by Alltaken »

Hey guys. now don't tell me off for this thread please, i am not posting it lightly :P

as you may know i am doing graphics for a new graphics engine. currently i am planing and doing graphics to these specifications.

128pixels wide, 64 pixels high (flat ground sprite dimension)
32 bit PNG (saving format)

i spend much time in IRC finding out information with people, about what they want (i.e. the coders.)

however i get conflicting messages, (hence i want this thread to be created)
and often waste many hours debating over things when i would rather be creating graphics. (some debate is good, i will still do some)

track layout i have done the corner, and point system designed by oskar, (this is by far the easiest method to manage sprite numbers without losing track layability)

i will be saving each sprite as a seperate image file and packaging it in a container format like .tar, .7z....

this is where YOU the coders/developers need to help me.

EVERYTHING that needs to be communicated to me i request it is spoken in this thread. so that i can develop a criteria set for my design.

A) image format, (PNG fine?)
B) track layouts
C) container formats
D) track types, what other tracks they conect to
E) sprite elevations, slope directions.... (although i don't know if i am doing these)
F) bit depths, magic colours, animation formats (for animated sprites) MNG?
G) are signals on the edge of tiles or the middle....
H) do we have 2 track train systems (2 tracks on one tile)

these questions i don't necisarily need to know, but i will need to know others.

ANYTHING i need to know, or you think i need to know. basicly, use this thread to communicate with me.

please don't use this thread to debate these topics. i would rather that "finalised" standards be written here.

debate with other coders in other threads for each topic relating to the new graphcis engine/format

i put it in here because its a development topic, i am doing graphics but i am caught in the process of developing the graphics too.

Alltaken
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

ok first thing i need to know is Naming.

refer to this image please http://doug.mudpuddle.co.nz/albums/ottd ... layout.jpg

i currently made up a human readable naming system for my own and other peoples reference.

S1, S2, S3, S4 are all straight sections of track
C1 - C8 are all curved sections of track.

now if i am going to be rendering out individual sprites then the name would obviously be on the file rather than as text within the file. (makes sense, no?)

so blender basicly spits out files from 0001.png through 9999.png

what naming scheme should be used? just numbers like 1-102. or should it be C1+C2+S1+S2 or whatever. or should i use an index file (set out like the current one) with sprite filenames along with the sprite

example:

S1-straight-NE-SW
(0001.png)

personally i am in favour of this index system. (less work to me renaming files) however if someone would prefer a more human or computer friendly approach then i am all ears.

??? please go and talk about this, and get back to me.

thanks people.

Alltaken

Return to “OpenTTD Development”