Subsidiaries management (latest build: r7213)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Quark
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Quark »

LFU (Looking for update) for trunk rev.7573 (Merged the bridge branch).
mikegrant
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mikegrant »

When playing a multiplayer with the version of this patch included in MiniIN r7512.

I will buy out an AI company, and it doesn't let me administrate them, or merge them into my company.

Also i can send money but not get the cash out of the company :S
NukeBuster
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by NukeBuster »

Hey,

Why did this patch dissapear from the 0.6 roadmap?
http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Roadmap_0.6
NukeBuster

Transport Empire: The Transport Empire Linux effort
Join the Transport Empire IRC channel: [url]irc://irc.oftc.net/transportempire[/url] !

OpenTTD patch(es): Password at join
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

NukeBuster wrote:Hey,

Because the roadmap was updated today to reflect reality, rather than wishful thinking.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
sidew
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sidew »

Look in http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Talk:Roadmap_0.6 :
Removed Subsidiaire after conversation with darkvader..

Peace :)
Sidewinder

Italian Town names patch for OTTD (R5266) now in trunk since 0.4.8
For typo, errors or bug on OTTD italian translation, please PM me.
unofficial italian TTD/OpenTTD forum: http://wolf01.game-host.org/forum/index.php
LordOfThePigs
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LordOfThePigs »

Brianetta wrote:

Because the roadmap was updated today to reflect reality, rather than wishful thinking.
Yeah, after all, this patch has only been around for 2 years... It can't be mature enough to be added into a release that is probably another year ahead... And during these two years it hasn't proved that it could work without breaking the game, while providing interesting new features either. Oh, and why include something in the game that might open a whole bunch of new strategies in multiplayer, it must be a bad thing... And it's not like it was the oldest still somewhat up to date patch for OpenTTD. And it's hasn't either got the longest thread of all the development forum. Its also not lke it's been present in each and every experimental multipatch build of OpenTTD. Yeah... It's quite obvious that nobody wants this patch...

I'm getting sick and tired of this...

I think I'm just going to throw the towel pretty soon if he doesn't get any kind of hint that the patch has a chance of beeing included. Not to mention the fact that my last try of getting it reviewed was met by "It's too long, I can't bother to read through it." from the devs who I sent the patch to.
Sometimes I'm told "Brilliant"...
Sometimes I'm told "Charming"...
And Often I'm told "Shut Up"!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

If you were to translate this to x86 assembly[0] I expect Patchman would let you commit it within the week.

Then you can drop the OpenTTD version (or maybe just keep it up-to-date for yourself), and let the official devs figure out whether or not they want to get off their arses. It's no guarantee, as things like gamespeed and the configurable hotkeys prove, but it is my impression that having a feature live in Patch makes it more likely to appear in Open.

ObSmallPrint: I don't speak for Patchman. He's quite capable of speaking for himself.

[0] Actually, there's a chance that most of it can stay in C, with just a little assembly interfacing.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

DaleStan wrote:(...) it is my impression that having a feature live in Patch makes it more likely to appear in Open.
(...)
It's a pity this has been true for a long time and many people complain about it. Why must openttd always copy patch and be one step behind? Why can't openttd actually create something new and unique?

I know OpenTTD has new things but about 75% of the roadmap can be quite simply resumed as "match ttdpatch" :?
Uncle Dex Says: Follow the KISS Principle!
Nickel_Plate
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nickel_Plate »

Can you update this patch to current revision.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Dextro wrote:Why can't openttd actually create something new and unique?
It can. Big maps, Perlin noise landscape and new airports, for a start.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

I can understand this patch won't come in the next OTTD release. But I can't understand why it can't be merged with trunk.

As far as I know, it just works, and can be disabled.

Some trunk features are far more buggy and incomplete (new AI by exemple), so I don't understand why subsidiaries management couldn't be in.
Psylent_Knight
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Psylent_Knight »

I have recently got the latest Zip verson of Subs going on my Pc, But.....
When you have your HQ/Face window open the Subsiduried Button dosent work.... and i Cant get this window up...

So i cant manage any of the companys i buy, what exactly have i missed/how can i fix it?[/img]
" So let me get this straight.... You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom,
and you're telling me you're completely sane? "
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

MagicBuzz wrote:I can understand this patch won't come in the next OTTD release. But I can't understand why it can't be merged with trunk.
... I don't understand why subsidiaries management couldn't be in.
Some (not all of the reasons):

1) Its very big. That means checking it through, and verifying that what it does fits and is safe to the rest of the code takes a very large amount of time.

2) Its very big. The likelihood of errors increases exponentially.

3) Its very big. The current dev team know little of this patch, and would be required to maintain it. That is a large amount of extra workload. Even if the author joined the dev team, the others would still need to learn it. The absolute worst thing would be for the code to be accepted into trunk, and the author to disappear "my code is in, my job is done". It has happened before... and devs are sensitive types ;)

4) Its very big. To ensure the code conforms to the coding standards is a long haul through the tons of code in this patch. This would only really happen if a dev decided to "adopt" this project, and work with the original developer to clean it up.

And finally:
5) Its very big. It is a big concept, with implications all over the entire of OTTD internals. That sort of thing worries devs. So they need reassurance that it is a) worthwhile, b) workable, c) stable, d) fits with the rest of OTTD.

Personally I like the concept and think its worthwhile (5a, 5d). But I have my doubts over 5b and 5c. They may be misplaced, but in that case, the author needs to take time to convince other devs of its value, stability, quality, etc. There would be a TON of work before this would be suitable for inclusion, but yes, it would be nice.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

Psylent_Knight wrote:When you have your HQ/Face window open the Subsiduried Button dosent work.... and i Cant get this window up...
I haven’t played with subsidiaries recently, but in earlier versions (and the MiniIN) the button indicated in the screenshot would also open the Subsidiaries window.
Attachments
Subsidiaries_window.png
Subsidiaries_window.png (34.74 KiB) Viewed 7168 times
walen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by walen »

well.. i have a problem with subdiaries 7213 version.. in multiplayer it starts to crash quite often.. i try to put a screenshot in near future.

and another question.. is it possible to create a sub company if you don't have ai in use?
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

walen wrote:another question.. is it possible to create a sub company if you don't have ai in use?
Yes it is. On the sceenshot in my previous post you will see a ‘Create’ button. That creates a new subsidiary.
jrm1504
Engineer
Engineer

Can't seem to convert to cargo aircraft

Post by jrm1504 »

In the latest patch I can't seem to convert passenger aircraft to mail carriers or goods carriers or anything. That feature looks to have been "greyed" out. Same can be said for sending an aircraft to the hangar.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong...but in 6161, it seemed to work ok.
Quark
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Quark »

While merging MiniIN with trunk r.8038:

Code: Select all

subsidiaries_gui.cpp
..\src\subsidiaries_gui.cpp(120) : error C2664: 'GetPlayer' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'WindowNumber' to 'PlayerID'
        Conversion to enumeration type requires an explicit cast (static_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast)
..\src\subsidiaries_gui.cpp(170) : error C2664: 'GetPlayer' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'WindowNumber' to 'PlayerID'
        Conversion to enumeration type requires an explicit cast (static_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast)
..\src\subsidiaries_gui.cpp(238) : error C2664: 'DrawFrameRect' : cannot convert parameter 6 from 'int' to 'FrameFlags'
..\src\subsidiaries_gui.cpp(242) : error C2664: 'DrawFrameRect' : cannot convert parameter 6 from 'int' to 'FrameFlags'
..\src\subsidiaries_gui.cpp(359) : error C2679: binary '=' : no operator found which takes a right-hand operand of type 'WindowNumber' (or there is no acceptable conversion)
        ..\src\helpers.hpp(131): could be 'TinyEnumT<Tenum_t> &TinyEnumT<Tenum_t>::operator =(Owner)'
        with
        [
            Tenum_t=Owner
        ]
        ..\src\helpers.hpp(142): or 'TinyEnumT<Tenum_t> &TinyEnumT<Tenum_t>::operator =(const TinyEnumT<Tenum_t> &)'
        with
        [
            Tenum_t=Owner
        ]
        while trying to match the argument list '(PlayerByte, WindowNumber)'
..\src\subsidiaries_gui.cpp(386) : error C2664: 'GetPlayer' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'byte' to 'PlayerID'
..\src\subsidiaries_gui.cpp(491) : error C2664: 'GetPlayer' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'WindowNumber' to 'PlayerID'
..\src\subsidiaries_gui.cpp(530) : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'WindowNumber' to 'PlayerID'
..\src\subsidiaries_gui.cpp(531) : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'WindowNumber' to 'PlayerID'
..\src\subsidiaries_gui.cpp(532) : error C2664: 'GetPlayer' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'int' to 'PlayerID'
..\src\subsidiaries_gui.cpp(534) : error C2664: 'GetPlayer' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'WindowNumber' to 'PlayerID'
subsidiaries_cmd.cpp
..\src\subsidiaries_cmd.cpp(36) : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'PlayerByte [4]' to 'byte *'
        Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
..\src\subsidiaries_cmd.cpp(38) : error C2664: 'GetPlayer' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'uint32' to 'PlayerID'
..\src\subsidiaries_cmd.cpp(40) : error C2664: 'GetPlayer' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'uint32' to 'PlayerID'
..\src\subsidiaries_cmd.cpp(44) : error C2664: 'GetPlayer' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'uint32' to 'PlayerID'
..\src\subsidiaries_cmd.cpp(51) : error C2679: binary '=' : no operator found which takes a right-hand operand of type 'int' (or there is no acceptable conversion)
        ..\src\helpers.hpp(131): could be 'TinyEnumT<Tenum_t> &TinyEnumT<Tenum_t>::operator =(Owner)'
        with
        [
            Tenum_t=Owner
        ]
        ..\src\helpers.hpp(142): or 'TinyEnumT<Tenum_t> &TinyEnumT<Tenum_t>::operator =(const TinyEnumT<Tenum_t> &)'
        with
        [
            Tenum_t=Owner
        ]
        while trying to match the argument list '(PlayerByte, int)'
..\src\subsidiaries_cmd.cpp(57) : error C2664: 'GetPlayer' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'int' to 'PlayerID'
..\src\subsidiaries_cmd.cpp(60) : error C2679: binary '=' : no operator found which takes a right-hand operand of type 'int' (or there is no acceptable conversion)
        with
        [
            Tenum_t=Owner
        ]
        with
        [
            Tenum_t=Owner
        ]
        while trying to match the argument list '(PlayerByte, int)'
..\src\subsidiaries_cmd.cpp(74) : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'uint32' to 'PlayerID'
..\src\subsidiaries_cmd.cpp(102) : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'uint32' to 'PlayerID'
..\src\subsidiaries_cmd.cpp(132) : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'uint32' to 'PlayerID'
Will patch be updated?
davidpk212
Engineer
Engineer

Post by davidpk212 »

When will this be updated again? It is currently incompatible with the nightlies.
clark17
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Subsidiaries management (latest build: r7213)

Post by clark17 »

It there has a chance to see it in the trunk?
Sorry for my little english....

Return to “OpenTTD Development”