JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by gebik »

fridaemon wrote: 14 May 2021 09:14 Can be added an option which allows to build more than 2 airports in the city district? For example - I have big map with few cities. Sometimes planes transport random goods to different industries and with limit 2 airports per town it's impossible. I have to establish "dead" town, where I destroy all buildings and have 0 population.
In my options - Cities do not regulate the noise limit.
I think it is possible. I do not have it turned on and am able to put more airports belonging to one city.
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934
You can write to me in English, or Czech. Můžete mi psát česky nebo anglicky.

Formerly known as MLG.
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

I misunderstood, I thought it would be bad with noise control. Thank you ;)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Skyscrapers * Garage Entrances
Modular Warehouses * Trucks & Buses Parking Lots * Bus Depots * Bus Terminals
Road Waypoints * Road Stops * Eyecandy Objects * Building Set

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:
massh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by massh »

JGR wrote: 21 Apr 2021 20:37
michael blunck wrote: 21 Apr 2021 15:31 When trying to save an older game (started in trunk 1.8.) in 0.41.0, I'm getting the error message:
Game save failed (undefined string)
This file may be from a different game.
Hi, I've started with this post as it seemed to be a similar issue. It is not, but still, this is the closest thing I could find.
So - I get the same error when trying to connect a 0.41.1 client (Windows 64, release from github) with a server (Linux, tried with openttd-jgrpp-0.41.1-linux-ubuntu-groovy-amd64.deb and with a self-compiled version).

What happens is:
On the client's side:
- clicked on the "join server" and "create a new company"
- on/after the second loading step (requesting the map) jump to the main menu without any error message

On the server's side, network_server.cpp:
- call NetworkRecvStatus ServerNetworkGameSocketHandler::Receive_CLIENT_GETMAP()
- client supports zstd
- return this->SendMap();
- call SendMap()
- this->status == STATUS_AUTHORIZED is true
- this->status == STATUS_MAP is true
- while the saveload.cpp SaveFileToDisk(bool threaded) is called, the client closes the connection
- Receive_CLIENT_ERROR(Packet *p) errorno = 0
- as the first bytes are to be sent over network (from saveload), an error occurs and the message Game save failed (undefined string) is printed out

The problem occurs no matter, whether I use a scenario file or a randomly generated map. No NewGRFs. All default settings, but server name and password and server id, obviously.

The client seems to work with other public servers. Before I put hours to create an appropriate debug environment for Windows, wanted to ask you, whether you experience similar issues.
Thanks for any hints!
massh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by massh »

massh wrote: 14 May 2021 12:21 ...
The client seems to work with other public servers. Before I put hours to create an appropriate debug environment for Windows, wanted to ask you, whether you experience similar issues.
Thanks for any hints!
Solved... Maybe it helps someone: The automatically generated config file for the server does not have any value for the client_name. Just set any value and that's it!
unbeatable_101
Engineer
Engineer

Post by unbeatable_101 »

What does it mean by ramp lengths?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 12.21.44.png
(4.85 MiB) Not downloaded yet
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Denswillow wrote: 12 May 2021 19:24 Game crashed two times with version 41.1 today.
I've raised an issue about this upstream here: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/issues/9264
massh wrote: 14 May 2021 12:21
JGR wrote: 21 Apr 2021 20:37
michael blunck wrote: 21 Apr 2021 15:31 When trying to save an older game (started in trunk 1.8.) in 0.41.0, I'm getting the error message:

Hi, I've started with this post as it seemed to be a similar issue. It is not, but still, this is the closest thing I could find.
So - I get the same error when trying to connect a 0.41.1 client (Windows 64, release from github) with a server (Linux, tried with openttd-jgrpp-0.41.1-linux-ubuntu-groovy-amd64.deb and with a self-compiled version).

What happens is:
On the client's side:
- clicked on the "join server" and "create a new company"
- on/after the second loading step (requesting the map) jump to the main menu without any error message

On the server's side, network_server.cpp:
- call NetworkRecvStatus ServerNetworkGameSocketHandler::Receive_CLIENT_GETMAP()
- client supports zstd
- return this->SendMap();
- call SendMap()
- this->status == STATUS_AUTHORIZED is true
- this->status == STATUS_MAP is true
- while the saveload.cpp SaveFileToDisk(bool threaded) is called, the client closes the connection
- Receive_CLIENT_ERROR(Packet *p) errorno = 0
- as the first bytes are to be sent over network (from saveload), an error occurs and the message Game save failed (undefined string) is printed out

The problem occurs no matter, whether I use a scenario file or a randomly generated map. No NewGRFs. All default settings, but server name and password and server id, obviously.

Thanks for any hints!
I will investigate this further, many thanks for your work debugging this so far, this is helpful.
I would not object if you want to also do client-side debugging, but don't feel that it is obligatory.

Edit: I've added some more logging which may help with this.
unbeatable_101 wrote: 14 May 2021 16:23 ...

What does it mean by ramp lengths?
The distance between the tunnel entrance and the edge of the water.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by andreasaspenberg »

why did you remove multiplayer?
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 18 May 2021 13:29 why did you remove multiplayer?
There is multiplayer. I am playing only on it. You just need on multiplayer main screen type into black rectangle in upper right corner your multiplayer name so you no longer appear as "player xyz", otherwise it will end with an error.
If you just don't see any servers, it is either possible, that there are no public servers online, or that you have some network problems.
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934

Formerly known as MLG.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Old industrial graphics - the Firs version 1.x, old versions of Auzind - sometimes get the message that the graphics provide invalid information. The game hasn't crashed yet and I haven't noticed anything weird happening.
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

Hello,

Having some issues with multiplayer since the latest update. The issues seem to vary by package which was fun! At first I built 0.41.1 on the old Ubuntu 16LTS, which seemed to work - but players with slower computers/network took a few attempts to join, with joining usually being "cut" while downloading the map without a clear reason. This also occured on some higher-end computers but less so. Happened also with default maps, moreso with maps over 1MB in size. All client PCs were Windows or Mac.

I then tried to run the "linux-generic-amd64" package on the Ubuntu16 server - which gave the same error as the one below using a default map of any size for all clients trying to connect. I finally decided to ditch Ubuntu 16LTS anyway, and move up to 20.04 and use your "linux-ubuntu-focal-amd64.deb" packages to install the game from scratch. The following error (set to debug 3 but doesnt seem like it gives much info) occurs every single time a player tries to connect, with the dedicated server generated default map:
[+] Spoiler
I have since reverted back to the packages for 0.41.0 on the 20.04 and Ubuntu16 servers. These work flawlessly. I do note some debugging going on regarding savegames in this thread and perhaps thought this might be useful info/related to the issue. The client experience is exactly as described previously.
Regards,

Tinny/Tintinfan. :)
HeryK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HeryK »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and the JGR's Patch Pack and I'm having a major issue with running it as a multiplayer server.

The issue is I can't increase the "max_download_time" for the game higher then 32000 and the server is kicking all clients. Normally I just change the "max_download_time" in openttd.cfg to something like 100000 and everything is fine but every time I start the jgrpp-0.41.1 version of the game the config file is rewritten back to the 32000 value. I also tried to increase the value on the running server with the "setting max_download_time 100000" command but the max value is still only 32000. I can go lower but I can't increase it. ?(

I tried searching for a solution but couldn't find anything. I'm running the game server on linux Ubuntu Focal but I tried it in Windows and It was the same problem. :(

Any help would be much appreciated. :bow:
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

HeryK wrote: 20 May 2021 16:49 Hi,
I'm new to this forum and the JGR's Patch Pack and I'm having a major issue with running it as a multiplayer server.

The issue is I can't increase the "max_download_time" for the game higher then 32000 and the server is kicking all clients. Normally I just change the "max_download_time" in openttd.cfg to something like 100000 and everything is fine but every time I start the jgrpp-0.41.1 version of the game the config file is rewritten back to the 32000 value. I also tried to increase the value on the running server with the "setting max_download_time 100000" command but the max value is still only 32000. I can go lower but I can't increase it. ?(

I tried searching for a solution but couldn't find anything. I'm running the game server on linux Ubuntu Focal but I tried it in Windows and It was the same problem. :(

Any help would be much appreciated. :bow:
How big map is it? Really huge map can cause long download times. And is it also on in-game server, not just on dedicated ones? I am running server for my own games with family and it runs good even on 1024*512 map with me and two people connected. This might also be lowered max value to 32 000 from something too high by JGR, or even in trunk, but I have to end speculating now. :D
Also quoting JGR to get attention from him on all those new multiplayer issues.
JGR wrote:

Formerly known as MLG.
HeryK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HeryK »

MLG wrote: 20 May 2021 17:16 How big map is it? Really huge map can cause long download times. And is it also on in-game server, not just on dedicated ones? I am running server for my own games with family and it runs good even on 1024*512 map with me and two people connected. This might also be lowered max value to 32 000 from something too high by JGR, or even in trunk, but I have to end speculating now. :D
Also quoting JGR to get attention from him on all those new multiplayer issues.
Thanks for the quick replay :)

The map is 2048x2048 and we have I think 9 players.

We played the same map on the vanilla Openttd with the "max_download_time" value raised and it worked great. There were few disconnects but that's just because my internet sucks and I can't get anything faster where I live but at least the clients could join the game no problem. I wanted to try this patch pack to play with the Variable day length so we could really build the map over long time and don't end up playing through 50 years in a day.
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

HeryK wrote: 20 May 2021 17:39 Thanks for the quick replay :)

The map is 2048x2048 and we have I think 9 players.

We played the same map on the vanilla Openttd with the "max_download_time" value raised and it worked great. There were few disconnects but that's just because my internet sucks and I can't get anything faster where I live but at least the clients could join the game no problem. I wanted to try this patch pack to play with the Variable day length so we could really build the map over long time and don't end up playing through 50 years in a day.
Well, now it looks like some bug, let's wait until JGR has time to get into it.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

I've been looking into the multiplayer issues which have been reported.
I've unable to reproduce the problem at all here, however I've got some ideas as to what the cause may be, and have some improvements to error logging for the next release.

If there is a server still running which reliably has the issue it may be useful if I could connect to it with my own client for debugging purposes.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
HeryK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HeryK »

JGR wrote: 20 May 2021 19:19 I've been looking into the multiplayer issues which have been reported.
I've unable to reproduce the problem at all here, however I've got some ideas as to what the cause may be, and have some improvements to error logging for the next release.

If there is a server still running which reliably has the issue it may be useful if I could connect to it with my own client for debugging purposes.
I didn't expect you to be this quick :shock:

The server is on 193.86.97.25:3979 and the pw is "test". I can't even get through the map download.

Also, I want to thank you for the hard work you are doing and I really like your Patch pack.
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

I've got a clean install on the Ubuntu 20.04 host - no cfg changes other than server stuff. It should still be running the server "TT Test" on "63.135.165.46:3979" with the default 256x256 generated map. 99.9% fails each time for clients, guaranteed in our SLA. :D
Regards,

Tinny/Tintinfan. :)
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

HeryK wrote: 20 May 2021 20:09
JGR wrote: 20 May 2021 19:19 I've been looking into the multiplayer issues which have been reported.

I didn't expect you to be this quick :shock:

The server is on 193.86.97.25:3979 and the pw is "test". I can't even get through the map download.

Also, I want to thank you for the hard work you are doing and I really like your Patch pack.
Tintinfan wrote: 20 May 2021 21:34 I've got a clean install on the Ubuntu 20.04 host - no cfg changes other than server stuff. It should still be running the server "TT Test" on "63.135.165.46:3979" with the default 256x256 generated map. 99.9% fails each time for clients, guaranteed in our SLA. :D
Many thanks for these, I was able to track down the error and I've pushed a fix. It was due to an error on my part merging upstream changes.
I've added some more logging to make it easier to diagnose this sort of problem in future.
Once I've done some more testing I'll do another release (probably tomorrow).
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

Hi,
JGR, would it be possible to turn off realistic braking for "VACT" railtype? It is railtype which is according to sources used in Vactrains, which have same problems as those "WIRE and "PIPE" railtypes, which is that on cca 700 tiles long straight track a 1000 km/h train brakes most of time after accelerating to max speed, breaking balance of set.
Another solution would be to let players to configure it on railtype basis for every railtype from selected/loaded NewGRFs, but that would be probably more work, however would be in my opinion better because of compatibility with all possible problematic railtypes.

Thanks!
MLG

Formerly known as MLG.
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

I don't know where's the problem, but sometimes when my trains go to the depot, it costs incredible much. For example in these casees it's 15 times of price of year running cost.
Attachments
D9EXHOL - Imgur.png
D9EXHOL - Imgur.png (5.44 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
XrmTZxI - Imgur.png
XrmTZxI - Imgur.png (11.15 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
ImageImageImageImageImage
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Skyscrapers * Garage Entrances
Modular Warehouses * Trucks & Buses Parking Lots * Bus Depots * Bus Terminals
Road Waypoints * Road Stops * Eyecandy Objects * Building Set

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:

Return to “OpenTTD Development”