NotRoadTypes

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NotRoadTypes

Post by acs121 »

andythenorth wrote:
wallyweb wrote:Ok ... So if I grab the Hog road tool and drag it along a beetle road, the beetle road will be forcibly converted to the Hog road persuasion without a word in protest.
No, you can't overbuild roadtypes on a tile that already has a roadtype. The convert tool is provided for that ;)
Talking about this convert thing. I know the new road/tram type has to be compatible with the old road/tram type, but i just don't like this functionality. Each time i want to convert an electrified road to a standard road, it tells me there isn't a suitable road. It doesn't do the same thing when i want to convert ELRL to RAIL...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

acs121 wrote:
andythenorth wrote:
wallyweb wrote:Ok ... So if I grab the Hog road tool and drag it along a beetle road, the beetle road will be forcibly converted to the Hog road persuasion without a word in protest.
No, you can't overbuild roadtypes on a tile that already has a roadtype. The convert tool is provided for that ;)
Talking about this convert thing. I know the new road/tram type has to be compatible with the old road/tram type, but i just don't like this functionality. Each time i want to convert an electrified road to a standard road, it tells me there isn't a suitable road. It doesn't do the same thing when i want to convert ELRL to RAIL...
Use the removal/bulldozer tool.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

kamnet wrote:
acs121 wrote:
andythenorth wrote: No, you can't overbuild roadtypes on a tile that already has a roadtype. The convert tool is provided for that ;)
Use the removal/bulldozer tool.
I know, i'm doing it every time i have to do this ! But it would be much, much easier if it was convertible !
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

andythenorth wrote:OpenTTD is multiplayer innit.
No, i'm talking about converting my own roads.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

andythenorth wrote:
acs121 wrote:No, i'm talking about converting my own roads.
Do you own all the roads in towns? ;)
Yes, i remove them then put them back, so that i own them and i can do all i want with them :twisted:
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

acs121 wrote:
andythenorth wrote:
acs121 wrote:No, i'm talking about converting my own roads.
Do you own all the roads in towns? ;)
Yes, i remove them then put them back, so that i own them and i can do all i want with them :twisted:
A bit off-topic, but always leave the road tile in the center of town. Otherwise the town will die. For some reason it needs that one tile or the town has some sort of bug that causes it's slow demise.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

SimYouLater wrote:
acs121 wrote:
andythenorth wrote: Do you own all the roads in towns? ;)
A bit off-topic, but always leave the road tile in the center of town. Otherwise the town will die. For some reason it needs that one tile or the town has some sort of bug that causes it's slow demise.
I do leave that tile. But the road belongs to me. This does NOT cause the "slow demise".
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

acs121 wrote:Talking about this convert thing. I know the new road/tram type has to be compatible with the old road/tram type, but i just don't like this functionality. Each time i want to convert an electrified road to a standard road, it tells me there isn't a suitable road. It doesn't do the same thing when i want to convert ELRL to RAIL...
To further explain: since roads can be used by vehicles of any company, downgrading roads has more potential impact. Converting ELRL to RAIL can only affect your own vehicles.

The development team thought about and discussed this issue at length, and decided the griefing potential of a mass-road-downgrade tool was too great to allow it. For any actual-gameplay uses, removing and rebuilding is perfectly adequate, and you're unlikely to change anyone's mind by posting here (especially if your argument is "I do what I want :twisted:").
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

acs121 wrote:Each time i want to convert an electrified road to a standard road, it tells me there isn't a suitable road.
PikkaBird wrote:The development team thought about and discussed this issue at length, and decided the griefing potential of a mass-road-downgrade tool was too great to allow it.
Perhaps the red box message could be a bit more acceptable ... Something like "The local authorities refuse to allow this." Local authorities dislike a lot of things such house demolition, road blasting and tree harvesting. Perhaps this could be submitted to the bribery committee for their consideration. 8)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

wallyweb wrote:Perhaps the red box message could be a bit more acceptable ... Something like "The local authorities refuse to allow this."
I'm not sure if you're serious, but in (Open)TTD that message implies the impediment to the action is a low town rating, which isn't the case here.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

PikkaBird wrote:
wallyweb wrote:Perhaps the red box message could be a bit more acceptable ... Something like "The local authorities refuse to allow this."
I'm not sure if you're serious, but in (Open)TTD that message implies the impediment to the action is a low town rating, which isn't the case here.
Actually I am quite serious. I understand and agree with the devs' decision and your point is well taken. I am just fishing for an elegant solution to an event that produced the response that the dev team was trying to avoid.
What about "Please use the toggle build/remove tool"?
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

wallyweb wrote:
acs121 wrote:Each time i want to convert an electrified road to a standard road, it tells me there isn't a suitable road.
PikkaBird wrote:The development team thought about and discussed this issue at length, and decided the griefing potential of a mass-road-downgrade tool was too great to allow it.
Perhaps the red box message could be a bit more acceptable ... Something like "The local authorities refuse to allow this." Local authorities dislike a lot of things such house demolition, road blasting and tree harvesting. Perhaps this could be submitted to the bribery committee for their consideration. 8)
Something like this is already present in town-owned bridges. When you want a bridge to be a slower bridge (why would you do this ?!), it says "The municipality of ... refuses this operation".

Same with roads : when downgrading the roads to slower-speed roads, you should get this message.
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Gotta say I'm really looking forward to this being finished :) It'll be a game changer :) Thanks for working on it. I wish I had the time to help.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

PikkaBird wrote:
acs121 wrote:Talking about this convert thing. I know the new road/tram type has to be compatible with the old road/tram type, but i just don't like this functionality. Each time i want to convert an electrified road to a standard road, it tells me there isn't a suitable road. It doesn't do the same thing when i want to convert ELRL to RAIL...
To further explain: since roads can be used by vehicles of any company, downgrading roads has more potential impact. Converting ELRL to RAIL can only affect your own vehicles.

The development team thought about and discussed this issue at length, and decided the griefing potential of a mass-road-downgrade tool was too great to allow it. For any actual-gameplay uses, removing and rebuilding is perfectly adequate, and you're unlikely to change anyone's mind by posting here (especially if your argument is "I do what I want :twisted:").
Rather than trying to prevent all grief by other players, why wouldn't we rather have players that would respect themselves instead of doing this ? In OpenTTD, twisted players griefing others can be counted on the fingers of a hand. I did play a 1700-2050 (and further) game on RATT with friends (we're about 10 companies each game) and no one ever trolled the others on road type conversion, etc. We played a game with just converting our roads, and even if we took the same sections on some routes, we never removed our roads so that the other couldn't run his vehicles, never converted manually an electrified road to a standard road to block other's trolleybuses, etc.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

It's realism, really. If you go up to the mayor and tell them "I'm going to rebuild your roads. Put in new tarmac, make everything fresh and new." He's more likely to comply than when you say: "I'm going to rip out the tarmac and put in some dirt roads." In the latter case, any sane mayor will kindly ask you to go reconsider your life choices.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I always thought it is a bug, you can't downgrade roads :oops:
Maybe it would be good to inform the player of this behaviour, i.e. through a more detailed warning message?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Kruemelchen wrote:I always thought it is a bug, you can't downgrade roads :oops:
Maybe it would be good to inform the player of this behaviour, i.e. through a more detailed warning message?
As suggested here :?:

Return to “OpenTTD Development”