Autosave interval should be based on real life time spent in-game

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kcl504sandboxgamer
Engineer
Engineer

Autosave interval should be based on real life time spent in-game

Post by kcl504sandboxgamer »

Recently, I was annoyed for accidentally closing OpenTTD on Android and delaying some really annoying processes, especially when placing signals. This is because the game will undergo autosave every game months by default, and this value is not based on real-life time. This leads to a problem that if I pause the game time and build a lot of things, the progress will be ruined if OpenTTD is accidentally closed, since there aren't any autosave files to recover.

Therefore, the autosave system needs an upgrade. I suggest 10 real-life minutes to be the default autosave interval, but the value needs to be configurable.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Autosave interval should be based on real life time spent in-game

Post by Eddi »

+1
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

An alternative solution to this problem might be to create an exit save when OpenTTD is terminated.
kcl504sandboxgamer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kcl504sandboxgamer »

Well in this case exit save need to be also performed when OpenTTD is terminated by the system, not just when the "exit game" button is pressed.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

kcl504sandboxgamer wrote: 14 Aug 2021 00:47 Well in this case exit save need to be also performed when OpenTTD is terminated by the system, not just when the "exit game" button is pressed.
Yes, but at least on PC (both on Windows and on anything Unix-like) that is no problem - when a process is terminated by the OS, it generally first gets a request from the OS to orderly terminate itself, at which point an exit save can be created.

I am not an expert on Android but would assume that holds true there as well, especially because I have seen games which do automatically persist their state when closed.
RIS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RIS »

+1

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”