Sector buyouts

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Sector buyouts

Post by Baldy's Boss »

How about making it possible to buy out an operational sector of another company (i.e. just their trains,or just their ships,etc)?
paritcl3s
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Sector buyouts

Post by paritcl3s »

Currently the only buying out mechanic to my knowledge is the buying of shares. That can be enabled in settings.
Buying out specific boat routes or train routes seems micro management oriented.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

paritcl3s wrote: 01 Aug 2021 17:28 Currently the only buying out mechanic to my knowledge is the buying of shares. That can be enabled in settings.
Buying out specific boat routes or train routes seems micro management oriented.
But buying "all their trains and associated properties" or "all their ships" is hardly micro-management (not that I knock being as micro as one likes).
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

How would the price of the operational sector of the Company you wanted to buy be determined ?
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

That's actually an easy question. The price of e. g. "all their trains and associated properties" would be calculated the same way as the price of the whole company, except that everything which is not a train or an associated property (track, station, depot...) would be skipped.

However, the mechanism of company value calculation in OpenTTD is rather primitive and, together with the equally primitive share trading, is easily exploitable. Making these mechanisms more powerful without addressing the basics first would be rather counter-productive.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

odisseus wrote: 13 Dec 2022 08:02 That's actually an easy question. The price of e. g. "all their trains and associated properties" would be calculated the same way as the price of the whole company, except that everything which is not a train or an associated property (track, station, depot...) would be skipped.
The value of vehicles and infrastructure would not be a good benchmark. Very often it is directly inversely proportional to the actual value, i.e. the profit it generates. :)
odisseus wrote: 13 Dec 2022 08:02 However, the mechanism of company value calculation in OpenTTD is rather primitive and, together with the equally primitive share trading, is easily exploitable. Making these mechanisms more powerful without addressing the basics first would be rather counter-productive.
Yes, the current method of valuing the company and the entire mechanism of shares is seriously flawed and if something needs to be improved, it would be worth doing something about it in the first place. Currently, it is neither realistic nor even logical. Well, unless you take the economy of third world countries as a model, where the entire economy is based on corruption and mafia extortions. :mrgreen: :rolleyes: Taking over large companies for nothing, selling shares of a thriving company without the consent of its owner, losing money from the sale of shares in unexplained circumstances, not paying due dividends - this is the current system of company valuation and the sale of shares in OTTD.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”