default trams

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

default trams

Post by andreasaspenberg »

i am puzzled that there is no default trams. what i suggest is that each climate gets a series of default trams for all purposes(trams for passengers and trams for cargo). the framework is already present(tracks, stations and depots). adding default trams also opens up the possibilities for adding separate names for the depots(in languages that have separate names for depots, like norwegian). in norwegian there is togstall, trikkestall(also called vognhall) and whatever the bus thing is named.
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: default trams

Post by gebik »

I think there are no defaults because of players with TTO/D original graphics. There are no trams in them.
Just download eGRVTS2 or other generic RV set and enable only trams.
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934
You can write to me in English, or Czech. Můžete mi psát česky nebo anglicky.

Formerly known as MLG.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

think it should be possible to add trams on top of the ttd dos or windows graphics sets. i am also having trouble finding third party trams for every cargo and refit default RVs no longer works so, i can no longer add cargoes to trams. eGRVTS is no longer working properly. i used it in the game i am currently playing with trams enabled but, i got no trams at all. with a series of default trams, a lack of trams would not be a problem.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 15 Jul 2021 18:22 eGRVTS is no longer working properly.
As is usual whenever you say that something doesn't work, it works fine for me.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Are you playing with some custom economy? It is not guaranteed that a custom set of vehicles will be compatible with a custom set of cargoes, unless the developer of the vehicle set has put some effort into that. For example, Polroad is only partially compatible with FIRS — some cargo types cannot be transported by road vehicles at all!

It is impossible to identify the source of your problem, unless you post a saved game, or at least your list of add-ons.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

many of the cargo trams i have found supports only some of the default cargoes. trucks supports all of them(except for passengers which is shipped by buses). i am not going to turn this topic into a support topic. i started this to suggest a new set of vehicles. i do not however have a lot of ideas to how they should be. locomotion however which is the sequel to transport tycoon, might have some ideas.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

There's been talk off and on over the years of making some default trams, but I think that in the end it is a moot discussion because there are already a good group of generic tram sets (Generic Tram Set, Road Hog, eGRVTS, Wanatroo Tram Set) and more specialized "realistic" tram sets (2CC Trams, Dutch Trams, Modern Tram Set). It's not like it's an actual burden to have a player download and experiment to find a tram set that they like.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

"Default" trams are something that has been discussed since tramways were included in the game.

However, while the merge of the NRT patch and trunk could ease this task, I think they aren't included because of what MLG said, also because it's not the top priority of developers at the moment, and because many tramway sets already exist. There's the Generic Tram Set and OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles (which only add passenger trams this being said), eGRVTS which has been previously cited and Road Hog, not counting HEQS although it only includes freight trams, if you want rather generic vehicles. And countless sets based on real tramway networks.

The only utility of including tramways into the base set would be to make new players aware of their existence, and permit players who play on vanilla servers (and there are a lot !) to use them.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

now you have a good argument for adding it. i am one of the veteran transport tycoon players. i played the original version first, followed by the version with 2 different landscapes and then the deluxe version after that. another argument for adding default trams is that tram tacks have gotten their own slot on the interface.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the main reason for not changing the default vehicle set is old savegames. any change or addition to the default vehicles could potentially break existing savegames. also, it could mess with existing newgrfs which directly modify the default vehicles, instead of disabling them completely and defining new ones.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

updating the game(apart from the steam version) is optional. people can also leave a version compatible with current saves on their system for when they want to use those saves. the game does not take much space after all.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 18 Jul 2021 20:02 updating the game(apart from the steam version) is optional.
When people upgrade software, they generally expect it to still work afterwards.

OpenTTD has always made a strong guarantee that save games will keep working, all the way down to original Transport Tycoon Deluxe, and that policy is not going to be changed because one dude who is too lazy to use his bloody Shift key is also too lazy to download a NewGRF.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

There are so many tram sets that it is not a problem to choose a suitable one. And especially the Roadhog is a set that outweighs all cargo. I never had the slightest problem.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”