Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

justaplayer
Engineer
Engineer

Choosable Seeds

Post by justaplayer »

Hello, I've got an idea about being able to choose seeds for example:

adding into the new game menu another button which lets us write seeds and a panel which has some random seeds which have something nice in them like : good looking terrain or good looking towns etc...

Here's are some reasons why it would be usefull:
1. You can start the same game again.
2. The ''getseed'' command in the console would be usefull.
3. You can get the same scenario terrain again (in the editor)
4. You can try Names and numbers as seeds to see what comes out like: Jeff, 1, 0, Sicily, USA etc...
5. Last but not least... island seeds. you just found the perfect archipelago and want to make for an example a higher town density or add more industries.
:D
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Choosable Seeds

Post by Taschi »

A parameter "game_creation.generation_seed" already exists in openttd.cfg. However, setting that value does not actually lead to the game consistently recreating the same map. Also, it regularly gets overwritten (on game exit?).
This patch might (emphasis on "might") be relevant: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=70846

edit: I have opened Issue #9433 for this behavior.
edit 2: I have submitted a fix at Pull Request #9435.

In my opinion, it would also be sensible to expose this setting in the UI, preferably in the world generation window, but to be honest the UI code is kind of overwhelming to me and I am not sure if a PR for such a feature would be approved.
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

Wasn't this in Chills Patchpack? I seem to have this memory of entering birthdays etc as seeds.

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Like I said above, OpenTTD does technically support choosable seeds, it's just broken (and probably has been broken for a while). And if it worked as intended, it would be accessible only through openttd.cfg or through a command line parameter.

Question: How many people would actually use this feature? Given that this bug has existed for a while without any outcry, and that it was removed from the in-game configuration menu in 2014, also without any outcry, my impression is that it is a fairly niche thing. TrueBrain and me have had a bit of a discussion in the chat about just how many people want to use custom seeds, and any feedback would be helpful.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Taschi wrote: 11 Jul 2021 17:43 In my opinion, it would also be sensible to expose this setting in the UI, preferably in the world generation window
Years ago an input field for the seed actually was part of the game creation window. It was removed because it's function was confusing for many (non-professional a.k.a. unexperienced) players (if I remember correctly). Maybe it could be part of the (advanced) world generation settings in the settings window?

Tschö, Auge

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”