Swap train orders, names & groups

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

trexxet
Engineer
Engineer

Swap train orders, names & groups

Post by trexxet »

Consider 3 locomotives: locomotive X named "A" built 20 years ago, Y named "B" built 10 years ago, and a brand new Z. X goes low-priority orders, so I want to replace Y with Z, X with that Y and sell X.

Currently I have to do these steps:
1) Rename Y to "B1"
2) Rename Z to "B"
3) Copy orders from Y to Z
4) Rename X to "A1"
5) Rename Y to "A"
6) Copy orders from X to Y
7) Check train groups etc.
8 ) Sell X

Introducing a "Swap train orders, names & groups" button (in depot GUI) would reduce this long procedure:
1) Swap Z and Y
2) Swap Y and X
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Swap train orders, names & groups

Post by Eddi »

two immediate questions: how many other people do you think will use this feature, and how do you explain this function to a user?
trexxet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by trexxet »

Eddi wrote: 04 Jun 2021 11:16 two immediate questions: how many other people do you think will use this feature, and how do you explain this function to a user?
1) Many of those who play with real-life train GRFs :) Running new fast & powerful locomotives on main magistrals while sending old ones to secondary lines or as switchers is somewhat useful, but currently it turns to be painful.
2) With a tooltip? Somewhat like "Exhange orders between trains, Ctrl+Click to exchange with names, etc.". Or, have some button like Shared Orders - it works even without any in-game explanation :)
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

I think the solution would be to be able to create timetables and then add vehicles to them. Recently, several people have mentioned or asked for it.

Something like this came to mind...
Group by Vehicles or Orders v1.1.png
Group by Vehicles or Orders v1.1.png (108.27 KiB) Viewed 594 times
Two tabs would be added here: "Vehicles" and "Orders". In the first, the view would be the same as it is today, i.e. the list of vehicles divided or not into groups. In the second "Orders" tab, player would see a list of all orders on the left and vehicles assigned to them on the right. He would have the ability to transfer vehicles between groups, as well as the ability to add a new timetable without vehicles.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

I think we've had this discussion like three weeks ago already, but the whole "timetable" idea is basically taking OpenTTD's current "Shared Order" concept and turning it on its head entirely.

I don't think it is a bad idea - it works fine in Tra{in|nsport} Fever, and if it was well-executed, it could easily be far more usable and intuitive than what OpenTTD currently has, but it would also require completely trashing the whole Shared Order / Automatic Group system OpenTTD has now, unless you want to have two completely different paradigms of organisation in the game, confusing the user and probably leading to a myriad of weird edge cases that need to be handled somehow.

And while I'm not really familiar with the OpenTTD source code, my experience is that such major paradigm changes tend to take extremely long to implement.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”