Please add support for Upnp.

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

traincrazy
Engineer
Engineer

Please add support for Upnp.

Post by traincrazy »

I really wanted to host a server online, however my ISP does not allow for portforwording. In the past I have been able to host servers in other games thanks to Upnp being supported in them. I think it would be a good way to allow more people to host servers without having to mess with all steamworks stuff.
kamnet

Re: Please add support for Upnp.

Post by kamnet »

The developers are working on a new networking protocol that will provide players an alternative to setting up port forwarding, and also doesn't require Steam.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Well, uPNP is generally considered harmful... https://www.howtogeek.com/122487/htg-ex ... rity-risk/
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

kamnet wrote: 18 May 2021 03:26 The developers are working on a new networking protocol that will provide players an alternative to setting up port forwarding, and also doesn't require Steam.
I'd like more details about this. STUN/TURN/ICE client? Or some 3rd party library?
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Here’s the PR with a full explanation: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/9017
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Normally if your ISP doesnt allow port forwarding, its because you are using whats commonly called CGNAT, which stands for Carrier Grade Network Address Translation,which means you dont have a public IP address.
This is common with Internet supplied by wireless.
If you do have a public IP then you can port forward by simply manually adding the port redirection in your own router,which is what UPNP does but automatically.
UPNP wont help if you are using CGNAT.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”