you should enable the game to be mobile

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

you should enable the game to be mobile

Post by andreasaspenberg »

with that i mean add an option to place the folders normally inside the windows users openttd folder inside the game`s folder. i for example run multiple instances of the game which use different versions. i have to use an older version for multiplayer, because the net code is broken in the latest version and cause constant drops.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: you should enable the game to be mobile

Post by Taschi »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 28 Apr 2021 18:57 with that i mean add an option to place the folders normally inside the windows users openttd folder inside the game`s folder.
I have no idea what the heck this sentence is supposed to mean.

Also, I have installed both the current stable OpenTTD version and JGR's patch pack, and aside from getting an error message when I accidentally try to load a JGR savegame in stable, it works without issue.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

The word you're looking for is "portable", and it already is. You just need an openttd.cfg in the directory.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by andreasaspenberg »

the configurations file is automatically placed in the users folder. i have tried both the current stable version and the jgr patch pack version and the the player i play with gets disconnected in about half a minute every time. when i am running the jgr patch pack version 0.38.1 however, it is more random. some times the disconnects is after half a minute while other times the connection lasts for more than an hour. i traced the issue to the openttd.cfg used in the later versions. when i write the openttd. cfg from version 0.38.1 however it gets more stable. that is however not what we are discussing here. a portable version of the game would be useful for me, who plays multiple different openttd games at once.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

All it takes to make a portable version of OpenTTD is to put an empty openttd.cfg file in the same folder as the EXE file.
Make sure you've set File Explorer to show file extensions when you rename the file, to make sure you don't accidentally make it "openttd.cfg.txt".
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

I've heard symlinks on Windows are achievable with some advanced necromancy.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

pelya wrote: 03 May 2021 08:12 I've heard symlinks on Windows are achievable with some advanced necromancy.
I looked forward in time to view alternate futures...
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

The way I've heard how symlinks on Windows are done is like this.

First you install Windows Services for Linux, you do this by running COMMAND.COM as the administrator: press Win-F2, type 'cmd', right-click on it, select 'Run as administrator'.

Then you type 'bash' into the command shell, it will install Ubuntu image into system32 directory.

Next is the necromancy part. You find that '100 games in one' old game CD with 100 DOS games on it. Most laptops nowadays come without CD drive, so you might also need an external USB CD drive.

You find Cannon Fodder game, or some other game made for Windows 3.1. Now, in the game directory there will be the game .EXE, the setup .EXE, the game icon, and the .PIF file. If you are using Cannon Fodder game, it would be named CFODDER.PIF. What you need here is the .PIF file. You need to open Windows file explorer, select this .PIF file, and copy it into the Ubuntu image inside your system32 directory. You must only use Windows file explorer, if you use any other file manager the symlink will not work. You must also not rename that .PIF file, or edit it with hex editor, or it will lose it's symlinking properties.

Then, copy OpenTTD installation to the directory where you put the .PIF file, and rename OpenTTD.EXE to the name of the came .EXE from the CD (CFODDER.EXE in my example). Now the symlink should be established.

Note that symlinks only work if you run OpenTTD from inside bash, however bash does not support .PIF files, so what you should do is open bash as usual, then launch 'start CFODDER.PIF' from inside bash, 'start' is a Windows utility that can open .PIF files. It should launch OpenTTD.

I might misremember some steps here, because I've removed Windows from my PC 14 years ago, so no promises that it will work.

I also know that it's possible to create symlinks to directories, but it's a bit too advanced knowledge for me.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

You can also skip all the weird things and just use the MKLINK command directly.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsdevelo ... indows-10/
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

this is all nice and good, but why exactly would this be useful here?

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”