the net code should be improved

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

the net code should be improved

Post by andreasaspenberg »

one issue i have found in the current net code is that if a player loses connection only once, that player have to reconnect. other games generally manages to restore the connection. another thing that can be improved is the download speed. joining big maps takes while because of the current download speed.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: the net code should be improved

Post by jfs »

Some work is already being done here https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/9052 that includes increasing the buffer size for TCP data. That should theoretically allow improvements on the map transfer speeds.
Automatic reconnect on drop... I guess that can also be done. But it's more likely there are some other things that cause the connections to drop in the first place, that can be solved. (For example we found a problem that hit certain configurations for dedicated servers, causing them to hang for periods and losing clients.)
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: the net code should be improved

Post by andreasaspenberg »

my network is a bit unstable these days but, smarter network communications can prevent these permanent drops that i have experienced recently. when the client starts to suffer packet loss, the host just severs the connection completely.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”