they should restore the toyland hq

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

they should restore the toyland hq

Post by andreasaspenberg »

for those of you that have not played the original version: let me explain. toyland originally had its own unique hq. it starts as a small tower and becomes a castle. openttd currently have only one hq for all climates. while the 3 other climates have one shared hq in all versions, toyland have its own unique hq in the original version. i just tested it.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: they should restore the toyland hq

Post by jfs »

What do you mean?
I just tested with OpenGFX, original graphics, aBase, and zBase, all have a unique HQ graphics when playing in Toyland.

If you don't get the Toyland HQ then you aren't playing in Toyland.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

i almost always play in toyland and always get the hq present in the other climates. now i tested it without any grfs and now it works. the trick here would thereby be to program it so that it works even with grfs. currently it does not.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

It's not the game's fault. You're probably using a NewGRF that replaces the graphics of the HQ, and in that case, the game works perfectly as expected, as it should not override the HQ graphics that comes from the NewGRF.

Try to figure out which NewGRF it is: remove half of the NewGRFs, and see if the graphics of the HQ is still wrong. If it is, remove half of the NewGRFs again; if it's not, then try it again with the other half of NewGRFs. Repeat until you find the culprit.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

even so, it is possible to add an option for the game to override grf graphics. the game have a load of options that can be turned on or off. adding an option to ovveride grf hq graphics should not be so difficult. i did notice however that the steam version already restored the toyland hq. i just never checked it out before i started this topic.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

If the developers were to add each such option, you would be drowned in those settings. :D There are a million things that could be set, but that really wouldn't be of any help. In your case, all you have to do is remove add-on that replaces HQ from the NewGRF list. Personally, I only know one which does this on the occasion of changing roads. Probably all the others that replace HQ don't change anything else. So if you remove this add-on, you won't lose anything.

If you don't know which one, just show the NewGRF list, or better, include save.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

the only one i have available that i know of is wasteland. there is a piece of the picture here that you seem to be missing. that is the changes done to the steam version. that restored the previously removed toyland hq. it also added support for gpu rendering. i am going to end this discussion with this request: please add an option to override grf graphics for HQs. further responses to this topic will not be answered.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Why don't you make a pull request?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

The point of NewGRF is that they override the base game. Don't count on features to override the overrides to make it in. If you don't want parts of the game overridden by NewGRF, don't use a NewGRF that overrides it.

If you want part but not all of what one NewGRF offers, then contact the author and explain your case, ask them nicely to add a configuration. If the author is gone, then you can use the development tools to edit the NewGRF and remove the parts you don't like. (Just remember that you might not be allowed to share that edited version with others.)
Or in the case of base graphics being replaced, you can just add another NewGRF that changes it back.

Overrides for overrides is not going to happen in the base game.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
andreasaspenberg wrote: 18 Apr 2021 21:23 i am going to end this discussion with this request: please add an option to override grf graphics for HQs. further responses to this topic will not be answered.
In the light of you stating to never ever again replying to other ones posting here, this is for the records.

You put a NewGRF you don't want to use into your own game. And even the simple solution would be to disable this NewGRF yourself, you demand form the developers special treatment for only your (nonexisting [1]) needs. Or to express it in a simpler way you demand them to disable the NewGRF (or a part of it) for you because you are to [… insert a proper term here …]. And as the bonmot you refuse any further conversation about your own issue.

That's at very least unpolite.

Tschö, Auge

[1]: Seen from the perspective of the game code. It can simply get solved by the NewGRF-author as stated by jfs.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”