Train breakdowns should just decrease engine power

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

odisseus
Director
Director

Train breakdowns should just decrease engine power

Post by odisseus »

It is widely accepted that the current model of breakdowns is flawed, so here's my proposal about making it more reasonable.

Currently breakdowns just make the train stop for a while. The probability of breakdown depends on the reliability of the head engine, but it is always non-zero, so a stoppage can happen even as the train is exiting the depot. After a breakdown, the train continues to function as normal until the next breakdown happens.

I suggest changing both the effect of breakdown and the way it is applied.

Breakdowns should happen independently on each engine in the train. As a corollary, reliability and chance of breakdown should be calculated separately for each engine.

When an engine breaks down, its power should decrease by a percentage — say, by 50%. (This number could depend on the game's difficulty level). After each breakdown, the engine's power should decrease by another 50% from its current value, down to a limit of, say, 10% of the full power. This won't stop the train, but it can affect its speed and acceleration, especially if the train is underpowered. Moreover, each subsequent breakdown will impact the train's performance even more, and eventually maintenance will become absolutely necessary.

As a result, multi-engined trains will be more resistant to breakdown effects. For example, if a train has two engines of the same model an one of them breaks down, it will lose only a quarter of their combined power.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Train breakdowns should just decrease engine power

Post by jfs »

Improved Breakdowns patch, I believe JGR has it integrated, but it hasn't been maintained against master for a long time.
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Train breakdowns should just decrease engine power

Post by odisseus »

The description of the patch looks great. Too bad it didn't make it into the trunk.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”