Zoom out: don't show minor (bus?) stations

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MJS
Director
Director

Zoom out: don't show minor (bus?) stations

Post by MJS »

When zooming out, my map gets crowded quickly with stations. It'd be really cool to only show major stations there - perhaps only train stations and not ones that are only bus stops? Or even only stations over a certain surface area, to also remove metros?
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Zoom out: don't show minor (bus?) stations

Post by odisseus »

I think what you actually need is hiding the station labels. This can be done using the "Transparency Options".
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

MJS wrote: 19 Jan 2021 10:59 When zooming out, my map gets crowded quickly with stations. It'd be really cool to only show major stations there - perhaps only train stations and not ones that are only bus stops? Or even only stations over a certain surface area, to also remove metros?
I understand your point of view and could agree with it. However, I would have one important reservation. Train stations will not always be more important than bus stations. For some players, buses can make a bigger importance. Or ships. Or planes ... Or helicopters. Everyone may want something different.

Perhaps an interesting solution could then be to make the font size of the station name dependent on the amount of cargo that flows through it (unloading + transfer + loading). Here, however, it could turn out that the bus stations would have the greatest labels. ;) The conditioning could be extended to make the size of the names more adequate to the meaning of the station, but it may not be that simple. It could also be possible for gamers to mark which stations are more important to him and which are less important.

Another solution would be to enable transparency separately for train stations, bus stations, ports and airports. Here, a separate option for the stops themselves seems to be insufficient. Conversely, options for each type of station could be seen as unnecessary extensions of functions.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

How about having small (few tiles) stations not show up with name in the station sign, but only the station symbol? As an option, somewhere.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

This is an interesting idea. When using cargodist, on the flowchart, stations are represented by different sized squares (apparently) based on how much cargo traffic there is at the station. Perhaps this could be used to decide if the station label is still shown when zoomed out.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

jfs wrote: 20 Jan 2021 07:31 How about having small (few tiles) stations not show up with name in the station sign, but only the station symbol? As an option, somewhere.
I think this could be a very good solution. :)

I did a little graphic to show what it might look like.

Current view
Station labels - current view.png
Station labels - current view.png (373.03 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
New view
Station labels - new view v1.1.png
Station labels - new view v1.1.png (382.27 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Here, stations with sizes from 1 to 4 tiles have only an icon instead of the station name.

As for the setting, it could say: "Station size shown in game as small" - if set to 0, the option would be disabled.
Gwyd wrote: 20 Jan 2021 07:48 This is an interesting idea. When using cargodist, on the flowchart, stations are represented by different sized squares (apparently) based on how much cargo traffic there is at the station. Perhaps this could be used to decide if the station label is still shown when zoomed out.
It's good to know that this information is already available. Somehow I forgot about it. But, cargo flow alone is not enough. In this way, very often the biggest labels would have bus stops, and that's not the point. :)
Station labels - cargo flow.png
Station labels - cargo flow.png (11.1 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
I think the solution proposed by jfs would be sufficient. Alternatively, the cargoes flow effect could be added to add +1. +2 to station size.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”