Thyros
Engineer
Engineer

Connect Depots to roads or railways

Post by Thyros »

Hi.

The way it works now is:
1. You build a road or railway
2. You place a depot next to the road or railway and it automatically connects to it

But if you do it in reverse order so:
1. You build a depot first
2. You place a road or railway next to it

It will not automatically connect the depot to the road or railway and you need to remember to do it yourself.

My suggestion is to ask user at the end of placing the road or railway if it should automatically connect any depots that are next to and facing the road or railway.

Or it can be considered as a bug and I should raise it as an issue?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Connect Depots to roads or railways

Post by Eddi »

I'm leaning towards "no", but if you're considering going that route, i don't see a reason to restrict this to depots. at least for roads it should also connect to any roadbits touching the new road
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

I'd lean towards 'no' as well because at least the current way lets you avoid unwanted auto-joins. While an adjustment would be reasonably harmless now with single-tile, single-exit depots, I can think of various ways it would become a pain if multi-exit buildings or multi-tile depots become possible.
Although you could have a key modifier, perhaps - Ctrl-click when building a road either attempts or suppresses auto-join? But leave it alone for now, I'd say.
Or else - the current straight-road segment builders don't auto-join, but the four-way road builder does?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I cannot imagine a single scenario where someone wants a depot next to a road and not have it connect, so ...

With trains it's a bit different since there's multiple ways to join depots to tracks.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”