[Add] More Company Colors - 36 instead 16

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

[Add] More Company Colors - 36 instead 16

Post by LaChupacabra »

Though I feel it might be a little naive, I wish to read that it would not be particularly difficult to add this... :]

I think that probably everyone has felt a lack of a certain color more than once, especially when he played online and the only colors left to choose were the ones he didn't like very much.

Is it possible / easy in terms of coding - I don't know. However, by looking at the available color palette, you could squeeze out of much more than the current 16 colors. The graphics show 36 of them. You could bring out even more of them, but the differences between the vehicles and labels of the companies stations would be too small and sometimes it would be difficult to distinguish them.
Next to the sample color names, I have included small graphics of color palettes with highlighted shades used for a given color. I marked the colors with stars that might have some problems due to too little contrast or insufficient shades.
In case of increasing the number of available colors, I think it would be a good idea to reserve one of the colors for city owned / shared stations.

Yes, there is an add-on like NewCC Set that overwrites existing colors and I like very much, but this suggestion is about increasing the number of colors available so that especially in an online game there is a greater choice of colors.
Attachments
More Companies Colours v2.2.png
(151.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [Add] More Company Colors - 36 instead 16

Post by Emperor Jake »

I seem to recall one of the OTTD devs experimented with a patch that allowed you to select any colour from the full 32bit range and apply it to company colour. I'll see if I can find it
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Having something like this would be very cool to have, more options are always nice. I always find myself sticking to the same colours, and hardly ever making use of some others, so having more options would at least make me use different ones from time to time.

It would also be cool to have more control over colours with groups than we do now, especially if we got 36 colours. Would make for some very colourful networks, I think.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

I've got to say, these are nice, and good job with the names - I'd go for a Celadon bus every time! Sticking to just 32 might let you skip out on some of the more problematic shades.

Ultimately a RGB color range selector is probably the way to go, but I like this approach too for sticking within the index-color pixel art spirit!
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

Of the 36 colors presented, only 3 could be problematic. After subtracting them and reserving one shade of gray for the color of the shared stations, there would actually be 32 colors left for the player to choose from.
The use of a 32-bit palette would not be necessary to obtain new colors, although perhaps this would be beneficial for add-ons with higher resolution.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”