increase the newGRF limit

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kamnet

Re: increase the newGRF limit

Post by kamnet »

Just for the record, a few months ago I hosted a JGRPP server game with 255 NewGRFs enabled. I hosted players from the US, UK, Europe, and Asia, and had 10-12 players simultaneously with very little lag and only a few desyncs, one caused by a poorly-coded NewGRF and one caused by a bug in JGRPP that we managed to trigger. The game ran for over a week. It was fun, I'll be doing it again in the future.

Just use JGRPP. Copy your NewGRF and base set folders over from your OpenTTD directory. You'll have a lot more fun doing that than engaging in this conversation. ;)
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by andreasaspenberg »

the newGRF folder is located in the the windows users folder now. it is however useful, as that means that different newGRF settings can be used on different windows users. do the modded version use a different model?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 10 Jun 2020 10:58 the newGRF folder is located in the the windows users folder now. it is however useful, as that means that different newGRF settings can be used on different windows users. do the modded version use a different model?
NewGRF settings are kept in the file openttd.cfg. If you keep a copy of openttd.cfg in the same directory as openttd.exe, then the game will use the copy in the local directory first. Modded versions of OpenTTD operate the same way. Whether your NewGRFs are kept in the local directory or a shared directory doesn't matter.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

I for one would like to see a increase in GRF's Limit , I do play the JGRPP version when on Windows or when have Parallels fired up on the Mac . As a Mac user 90 percent of the time it would be nice to play the Mac version 1.10 or nightly with more than the standard amount of GRF's . The latest version of Mac , Catalina 10.15.4 plus Parallels is totally unplayable on my laptop , 16GB , 2.6 GHz Quad Core i7 . My solution is then to play Standard on the Mac .How hard would it be increase the limit so us Mac/Window users a little more to play with .
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by andreasaspenberg »

what is JGRPP and where do i find it? sorry that i have been inactive but, i had to get away from this forum for a while. it was entirely psychological.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

It is the much better version of what Chill's patchpack ever will be

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73469
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”