Riverside docks

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Bappy1988
Engineer
Engineer

Riverside docks

Post by Bappy1988 »

I've started playing this game again over the internet and zoom with friends since isolation...

I love the 'new' canal stuff, locks and rivers etc are great.

However there is a slight issue I'm finding in that you need to raise a bit of ground and run a canal up to it to make a dock and that makes adding docks to existing stations on flat ground a real pain.

How about a 2-tile riverside dock that you build on level ground on tiles adjacent to a river or canal? that would allow you to run a canal up to existing stations much more easily.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Riverside docks

Post by Drury »

What if rivers carved out a channel to flow through, providing convenient sloped banks to build regular docks against?
Attachments
river banks.png
(312.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Master Trams
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Master Trams »

Drury wrote: 04 May 2020 01:39 What if rivers carved out a channel to flow through, providing convenient sloped banks to build regular docks against?
That could work, and evidently it's possible, but then you've still got the issue of canals. That is where I think Riverside docks (like the ones you might find on the Thames in London) would be useful, as it's already expensive enough to build the canals, but to raise land next to it as well? I think Riverside docks would be far easier there.
I love distracting myself from my day job by doing my day job thanks to OpenTTD JGR!
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

I agree there should be a way to build docks allong side the rivers or channels.

Port industriel at Lyon (on the Rhône river) : https://www.google.fr/maps/@45.7133674, ... a=!3m1!1e3
Quais de Saône at Villefranche-sur-Saône (on the Saône river) : https://www.google.fr/maps/@45.9816162, ... a=!3m1!1e3

Port du canal at Dijon (Canal de Bourgogne channel) : https://www.google.fr/maps/place/21000+ ... !4d5.04148

By editing a scenario, it's possible to level rivers to 1 altitude, but with a generated map, channels and rivers are useless as we can't use them to build inland docks/ports.
Limyx826
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Limyx826 »

Time to revive this idea since now we have big river.
I am Limyx826.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

This would be a very nice and useful feature. :) It doesn't look too good when you have to make an unnatural looking hill to be able to build a port. Well, all I can do is make some graphics for inspiration. ;)
Docks parallel to the quay A.png
Docks parallel to the quay A.png (304.14 KiB) Viewed 377 times

Idea
1. The game should offer two types of docks:
A. Original with the ability to continue existing games and for those who prefer the classics.
B. Docks along the waterfront, which would be flat and could be built next to a river or canal

2. Thanks to the new setting, the player can choose which type of docks he wants to play with - he can also play with both

3. The design of the docks could be enriched with mooring paths so that ships would approach the port in a more natural way and then moor only in a position parallel to the quay.
In a simplified version, this may only apply to the mooring direction

4. A "One dock - One ship" option could be added, which would allow only one ship to mooring at each dock. This would make building real ports make sense.

5. New docks could be divided into passenger docks, cargo docks and special docks for car ferries. They could also vary in size, with small docks only able to accommodate small ships.

6. The option to build new docks would have a separate button on the toolbar - just like in the case of stops

7. New docks, whether divided into types or not, could have the same graphic choices as railway stations or stops.
Attachments
Docks parallel to the quay B.png
(529.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”