How get warning the first time doing something that will upset a local authority?

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

odalman
Engineer
Engineer

How get warning the first time doing something that will upset a local authority?

Post by odalman »

I am looking for a feature that might exist or not: The first time that the player does something that might upset a local authority (building over a tree), there should be a warning. The player can then confirm or abort the action. If confirmed, the player will not get that warning for that local authority again. If aborted, the player can do something that requires permission (placing station or erasing houses/roads) before doing the action that was first attempted.
kamnet

Re: How get warning the first time doing something that will upset a local authority?

Post by kamnet »

Almost every action, except for planting trees, is going to have a negative reaction from local authority. The problem is knowing how much of an issue that's going to be.

Currently in the game UI on the town information window you're only told your status from Atrocious up to Outstanding. These ratings are a points range, however, and we don't know what that value is. And while the OpenTTD wiki does provide some info on the penalty for taking actions, that, too is only listed as a range.

I don't think I'd want to see a pop-up every time I take an action. However, I think it would be useful that when using the estimate tool (shift + click/click&drag) you're told: 1) The estimated cost of your action; 2) Your current rating with the local authority; 3) The estimated penalty for your actions; 4) Your new estimated rating if action is taken.
odalman
Engineer
Engineer

Re: How get warning the first time doing something that will upset a local authority?

Post by odalman »

kamnet wrote: 11 Jan 2020 00:44 I don't think I'd want to see a pop-up every time I take an action.
Me neither. Just once per town. When the action is confirmed, no popup should be shown again in that town's area. Of course there could be an option to never ask for confirmation.

Another solution would be to show the town's area so the player realizes that he is building his rail line into the area and needs to remve any houses/roads and place any stations before touching anything else. The problem is when building a rail line and not realizing when it enters the area of a town.
kamnet wrote: 11 Jan 2020 00:44 I think it would be useful that when using the estimate tool (shift + click/click&drag) you're told: 1) The estimated cost of your action; 2) Your current rating with the local authority; 3) The estimated penalty for your actions; 4) Your new estimated rating if action is taken.
That would also be useful.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

How about having a news message pop up when a company's rating in a town drops below some threshold? "Town local authority issues warning to Company: Complaints about recent construction efforts."
Perhaps have a separate news message if the drop in rating was caused by under-serviced stations: "Town local authority issues warning to Company: Population unhappy with local service level."
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I rarely pay any attention to the news because it easily gets overwhelming. I set everything to go into the news bar because the pop-ups get in my way.
L. Spooner Inc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by L. Spooner Inc »

All of this could be avoided if local authorities weren't tyrannical psychopaths who require the planting of entire forests and enough bribery to build ten airports before they'll allow you to put in a bus stop because you ran a train track past their town 20 years ago.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”