View of the station, city and local authorities range - some additional remarks and solutions

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

View of the station, city and local authorities range - some additional remarks and solutions

Post by LaChupacabra »

A few notes about the new feature you recently introduced. I can't help you with coding, but I hope that somehow these remarks will be useful. :)

Station range
1. During the expansion of the station or its reconstruction, it is not visible which parts already exist and which are to be built. The problem is especially in the case of large stations, where you can not really see what was under reconstruction.
I would suggest that the color of an existing station be different from the color of the expansion / reconstruction field. The attached graphic shows the difference of three shades.
(graphics use an unreduced rgb palette)
(graphics use an unreduced rgb palette)
Coverage area - stations v1.0.png (125.51 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
City range
1. When city range (buildings) is on, moving the cursor when you building a new station disables this range when the cursor approaches an existing station field.

1b. Designation of buildings belonging to the city covered by the station looks like the same range of the station. When building new stations near existing ones, no demarcation of their range can be seen. Since the color of the station range is very pale, the real range of the city is not well visible.
I see several solutions:
- a different color for these fields, e.g. purple
- marking the range of the station using a smaller frame that fits into the building designation frame
- mark these fields with an animated frame, such as buildings
- fields covered by several stations could have a different color - the more stations the darker
Coverage area - city vs. stations.png
Coverage area - city vs. stations.png (105.09 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
2. After enabling the local authorities' coverage for several neighboring cities, their borders cannot be seen and everything merges into one.
The solution would be to mark the outermost fields with a different one, e.g. a darker color.
Coverage area city vs city v1.0.png
Coverage area city vs city v1.0.png (146.96 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: View of the station, city and local authorities range - some additional remarks and solutions

Post by LaChupacabra »

3. There are no road markings belonging to the city - it could be equally useful. Then marking the range of cities would be complete.
Roads could be marked with e.g. orange, but without animation.

4. Closing the city window disables the view of the range of city buildings, but does not disable the view of the range of local authorities, which is not very intuitive.
It would be much better if closing the city window turned off all range markings.
A selection in the city window could also be added which ranges should be displayed.
Coverage area - roads and options.png
Coverage area - roads and options.png (180.13 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: View of the station, city and local authorities range - some additional remarks and solutions

Post by jfs »

The main limitation right now is there are are only 3 different palette mappings available for the overlay: White, blue, and pulsing red. It should be possible to make more palette remappings for it, but nobody have done that yet.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

jfs wrote: 01 Jan 2020 15:04 The main limitation right now is there are are only 3 different palette mappings available for the overlay: White, blue, and pulsing red. It should be possible to make more palette remappings for it, but nobody have done that yet.
RLY?

I don't belive you ;)

2013 Spring Patch Pack
Zoning in Spring Patch.PNG
Zoning in Spring Patch.PNG (209.3 KiB) Viewed 2644 times
JGR Patch Pack
Zoning in JGR.PNG
Zoning in JGR.PNG (256.08 KiB) Viewed 2644 times
JGR Patch Pack (+1.10 beta)
Zoning in JGR (+1.10 beta).PNG
Zoning in JGR (+1.10 beta).PNG (225.4 KiB) Viewed 2644 times
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I'm not saying it's impossible to implement, I'm saying it does not exist in master and someone will have to re-implement or backport it.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

It is only a matter of coding, or new graphics are needed?
If this is the second one, I could help if something would be needed.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

It mainly needs code, only if a different shape is needed (like the smaller square JGR uses) is new "real art" needed.

Technically, the colour variations are also made using some colour-mapping sprites that are used as lookup tables, but I'm not sure if it's strictly necessary to use those if someone writes sufficiently smart code.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”