Local authorities

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

L. Spooner Inc
Engineer
Engineer

Local authorities

Post by L. Spooner Inc »

Please, for the love of all that's holy and unholy, and out of pity for my abused mouse and keyboard and the ultimate fate of the dent in my wall which is getting larger, PLEASE do something about local authorities. Yes, I know I can turn them off entirely. That's not what I want. I would like some kind of realistic objection to dynamiting half the city without turning them into utterly insane, delusional psychopaths who will object for 40 years to putting in a bus stop without planting a continent-spanning forest and enough bribery to build twenty large airports.

The most utterly infuriating part of trying to deal with local authorities is the way, once you have a negative reputation with them, they will then obnoxiously block you from doing anything to improve that reputation, like put in a bus stop. If you ran a train line past their town 20 years ago, forget about EVER improving your relationship. They will hate you with the strength of a billion galaxy-sized supernovas for all of eternity, and will pick up arms and start shooting at the mere prospect of giving them a bus stop. It's ludicrous and it's aggravating and it makes absolutely no sense.

This is my name
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Local authorities

Post by This is my name »

I wish I can put houses in the way of my guide construction somewhere else. NO BULLDOZING
ALLMY CONTENT IS PUBLIC DOMAIN BUT NO EXPLOITATION

Want more wall-to-wall buildings? Click the question mark ;) Or visit my screenshots thread or my scenarios and saved games for OpenTTD or its older brother or The Great Dam - a scenario for Locomotion or this man's graphics

Simutrans Forum (Forum Simutrans)
DeviantArt (DeviantArt)
one_hit_wonder_2 (one_hit_wonder_2)
PASTTOPRESENT (PASTTOPRESENT)
MATRIXSELECTIF (MATRIXSELECTIF)
To Deal With Only Stables Transport Tycoon 3 5.zip (To Deal With Only Stables Transport Tycoon 3 5.zip)
BUSFINISH.sve (BUSFINISH.sve)
viewtopic.php?p=1228253#p1228253
viewtopic.php?p=1228494#p1228494
viewtopic.php?p=1228896#p1228896
viewtopic.php?p=1228916#p1228916

LaChupacabra
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LaChupacabra »

What seems to be the biggest problem is to much negative impact of removing trees. It's a bit absurd that you can level the whole area around the city and even sink the entire map and everything will be ok, but you can't cut a few trees to build a line that, for example, will deliver food this city.

An extremely slow rising rating in the city is also a problem.
The Wiki says that the rating increases every month by 5 if it is lower than 200, it would mean that to be able to build a station, in the worst case you would have to wait 20 years, what is over 3 hours
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Easiest solution - build slower. Destroy only one or two buildings, buy the land after, and give yourself some time for the drop in your rating to recover.

LaChupacabra
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LaChupacabra »

The problem is when you forget about a station and delete it after some time. If the city is large and bribes are not available or too expensive, you will be unable to do anything. This can be very annoying and above all it makes no sense.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.

odisseus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by odisseus »

I just can't understand why you have such a big issue with the town authorities. Just build a few bus stops before doing something that would drop your rating. When you need to recover the rating, send the actual buses to those stops, and in a few years the town authorities will love you.

Perhaps it would be more practical to provide a passenger service from the very beginning. When you have at least five well-serviced stations in the town, the rating recovers fairly quickly. As a side effect, the town will start growing, but excessive growth can be prevented by blocking road ends.

L. Spooner Inc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by L. Spooner Inc »

odisseus wrote:
01 Jan 2020 23:13
I just can't understand why you have such a big issue with the town authorities.
Because not everyone plays the same way you do. Because starting every game by methodically setting up a bus service in every town for the sole and explicit purpose of subverting a deliberate game mechanic which isn't working properly is both annoying and immersion-breaking. I play one-player only, and I play to experiment with different challenges for myself like no airports or road vehicles only or no borrowing or one industry only or passengers only, or whatever. Having to begin each game by being forced to put two money-losing bus stops in every town to permanently forget about a game mechanic is pointless and irritating. If I was going to do that then I'd just turn off local authorities altogether. I'm not asking for local authorities to be removed, just fixed.

jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

We just added another feature for Game Script that will be in 1.10, they can now adjust company ratings in towns. So you can make a game script that rewards you for completing objectives by raising your rating (or punishes you for failure), or you can even just make a GS that improves your rating everywhere all the time.

L. Spooner Inc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by L. Spooner Inc »

That sounds perfect! Thank you.

jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I released a GS that does just this now. "Eternal Love"
It requires a nightly build from January 5th or later for now, the feature will naturally also be supported in a later 1.10 beta 3 or RC1 (and 1.10.0 final) release.

odalman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by odalman »

There is a setting called Town council's attitude towards area restructuring. I have it set to Permissive, which is default. In a town where a player has not done anything yet, he has high enough rating, 500, to remove a church, cinema, arena or bridge. Once the player rating has dropped because of demolishing objects in the area, the rating can be quickly be repaired up to 220 by planting trees, which is enought to build any station and even destroy regular buildings and roads.

jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

That setting has very little effect on anything, to the point of being almost pointless.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”