Custom bus and tram stops

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Custom bus and tram stops

Post by Erato »

The title is quite self-explanatory. It'd be awesome to be able to implement custom bus and tram stop graphics with NewGRFs.

Of course this is mostly an aesthetic thing, and you might think it useless, but it'd be really neat.

You could make:
- Tram waypoints (trams could still stop there, doesn't need to be a proper waypoint)
- Electric bus charging station
- Give trams actual platforms
- Different shelter types
- Stops that work better with the suspended monorails
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PNDA_
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Custom bus and tram stops

Post by PNDA_ »

I really love the idea and I funny enough am currently trying to implement exactly that.
For now I've only got a ClassID and a type (bus/truck/tram) done. Sprites will come afterwards.
I have defined the roadstops feature as having the ID 14.
So you could expect something like this for NML (which I will also have a PR for):

Code: Select all

item (FEAT_ROADSTOPS, i_roadstop) {
	property {
		class_id: classid; //0x08
		type: TYPE_BUS / TYPE_TRUCK / TYPE_TRAM; //0x09
	}
	graphics {
		default: some spriteset with 6 views.
	}
}
After I get the basics done, I will focus on making animations a thing and it being aware of the waiting cargo, to show passengers or other cargo.

We'll see how this will continue. But it's really a challenge to me, as I've got no experience in NFO and only know the basics of C++.
Hello!
ImageImageImage
Thalass
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Thalass »

This sounds great. I was just thinking this today, about having road vehicles have a range like aircraft do. You could use a waypoint to extend this range - like refueling the vehicle. Fossil Fuel vehicles wouldn't suffer a time penalty for this, just a stop and go. But electric vehicles would have to stay a bit longer to charge - with newer vehicles having longer ranges and quicker charge times. It would make early electric models only profitable on short city routes with lots of stops, with later models improving to the point of displacing fossil fuel vehicles. Electric vehicles would have a lower operating cost, which would offset the longer wait time at stations/waypoints.
The same thing could be implemented for the fossil fuel vehicles, since earlier vehicles had similar restrictions to early EVs.

It might make things a bit too complicated for some, but I like the idea.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Ranges were implemented in aircraft because they were too overpowered, too fast and could easily beat a competitor using trains. Road vehicles don't have that same issue.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

kamnet wrote: 06 Jan 2020 05:41 Ranges were implemented in aircraft because they were too overpowered, too fast and could easily beat a competitor using trains. Road vehicles don't have that same issue.
They still are overpowered despite the range.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”