Beginners Tutorial as part of installation

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kamnet

Beginners Tutorial as part of installation

Post by kamnet »

I think it would be nice if OpenTTD 1.10 would introduce a new feature that, upon installing or running OpenTTD for the first time, that it offer the suggestion of downloading and playing the Beginners Tutorial so that new players can immediately get into the game.
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Beginners Tutorial as part of installation

Post by odisseus »

Is there any tutorial scenario good enough to be distributed with the game?

Back when I was learning the basics, I gained the most knowledge by reading beginner's guides on the wiki and other sites. I believe keeping those guides up to date would benefit the beginners much more than any preset scenario.

Furthermore, it seems that the majority of beginner problem are caused by the game interface. Let's face it: the interface is complex and less than intuitive, although convenient once you learn about the hidden features. Case in point: roughly half of all players on the public servers have no idea what a shared order is.

If any kind of tutorial is to be provided with the game, I strongly believe it should focus on using the interface, rather than on the concept of building tracks between towns.
kamnet

Re: Beginners Tutorial as part of installation

Post by kamnet »

odisseus wrote: 19 Sep 2019 23:31 Is there any tutorial scenario good enough to be distributed with the game?
Zuu created the Beginner Tutorial scenario and game script in 2011. I thought it was complete, but looking through the thread now the game script is not completely finished and has needed an update for some time.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”