Road grid change

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Olim
Engineer
Engineer

Road grid change

Post by Olim »

Maybe add possibility of road grid change (as it is in editor – random, improved, 3-cell grid) in town window? Because it may be even more frustrating in multiplayer! :lol: Town begin global rebuilding of all roads, and it can take more than year. Isn't it perfect? 8)
In singleplayer it also can be frustrating when you built bridges and after change they're not connected to road net.

Sorry for mistakes, my keyboard miss letters sometimes.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Road grid change

Post by acs121 »

I don't really know what you mean by "town begin global rebuilding of all roads" but I'll try to answer.

- If you're talking about rebuilding local roads in the list of actions you can do in towns, well... just don't do that to your towns. Actually it doesn't even improve the speed of any vehicle or the max speed on roads. It has no effect except bothering you and your road vehicles. Its only use since it was implemented in the game is "trolling" others or messing up their road vehicle network in multiplayer. However I never did this to anyone in multiplayer except some friends as a joke (just as nobody ever did this to me, except friends as a joke again).

- If you're talking about rebuilding all the city roads, for example from 3x3 to 2x2 or Original : the problem is that towns just don't spread in the same manners with different road layouts. That just means it'll have to place all buildings at different places and that's pretty difficult. Another problem if you want to switch from grids to Original or Improved is that these road layouts are pretty chaotic (= you can't tell what they will be). While you can tell exactly where any road will be with a grid, the above-cited other road layouts will vary in function of the obstacles : ramp where it can't be built, rails, rivers, airports, other towns...

For bridges : IIRC the option for towns to automatically build bridges above rails was implemented in trunk, but I'm really not sure. This being said it's in JGR's Patch Pack anyways.
Olim
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Olim »

When you place town in editor, you may choose random, improved or 3x-cell grid. As said in openTTD wikia, when you waste money on reconstruction, if such option is turned on – town removes useless branches, which leads into buildings or border or side of bridge slope or something like that. If you're perfectionist, you may want all roads in city or even on whole map be aligned to grid. It's not so complex, i think.

It also can be useful, when i play with cheats, to invest money multiple times, so town can grow faster. Of course, sum must grow drastically.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

No, the "fund local road reconstruction" town action does not remove any roads, nor does it cause new roads to be built. That's the current state.

If you're proposing to change the town action to actually perform some kind of culling of "dead" roads, you probably aren't aware of how difficult of a problem that actually is to solve. At least it's not a simple problem, it would probably require a lot of CPU-heavy analysis and possibly even a CV (computer vision) system along with some kind of trained AI to do in a sensible manner.
Olim
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Olim »

It soooo difficult for computer to understand that this part of road is unusable that we may need cluster.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Maybe try to isolate your stations by placing them 1 tile away from roads so that this kind of road will be built in a dead end.
Olim
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Olim »

I didn't mean that it bothers me, i meant that if towns totally rebuilding anyway, why don't rebuild everything (except bought land).

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”