Line break in save/load menu

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

L. Spooner Inc
Engineer
Engineer

Line break in save/load menu

Post by L. Spooner Inc »

Several times now I've accidentally clicked "A" in the save/load menu instead of the file name immediately above it, resulting in a long delay while my computer tries to access the floppy drive (yes, I have one), then forces me to hunt through a whole bunch of directories to try to get back to where my actual save files are located. It would be helpful if a simple non-clickable ------------ text line break was added between save files and the device letters below them.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Line break in save/load menu

Post by jfs »

I think you have three issues here, that add on to each other.

One is that your font might be too small if you have trouble accurately hitting a single line of text with your mouse. One of the compounding issues in this is that it's relatively difficult to increase the font size other than using the in-game 2x and 4x options, if for example 2x is too large and 1x too small, you would have to go config file editing to switch to a vector font and set size manually. That could definitely be improved.

The second is that there is no clear indication of what you will be clicking. It would probably be a big help if there was a highlight effect on the line you were pointing the mouse to, and I've been wanting that in other lists as well.

Third is that the file selection windows definitely could use some sort of folder history, i.e. a "back" button.

Adding in a blank line before the drive letters could be a sort of workaround, but having a blank "dummy" line like that is actually surprisingly annoying to program.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

Ready! It took me about 20 seconds :D
I don't really want to believe that it can be so difficult ... It could be useful.

Just enlarging the font here is not so much needed. The option of its x2 magnification, unless it concerns monitors with UHD / 4k resolution, does not facilitate anything here, but rather disturbs.
The bigger problem in terms of readability is the lack of space between lines of text. This text overlaps, merging into one pile. It would be helpful here to increase the spacing between lines of text by 1-2 pixels. Not only here.
When it comes to functionality, I'm definitely in favor of adding lines or at least increasing the space between folders and files. I also have an idea for a more significant rebuilding of this element of the interface (not only this) about which I will try to write soon. ;)
jfs wrote: 12 Aug 2019 19:05 ...you would have to go config file editing to switch to a vector font and set size manually. That could definitely be improved.
A bit offtop, but not quite. I would like to ask how you can change the size and possibly the type of fonts used? I know that there are at least 5 types available in the game (another latin for serbian, tai or chinese). In the configuration file I found only:
small_font =
medium_font =
large_font =
mono_font =
The changes you made did not want to be saved (yes, I previously disabled the game) - after starting, the game automatically changed them, triggering a million errors as it usually happens when changing settings via a configuration file. I don't see any settings there that would change the fonts used.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

WTF are you trying to say here?
"I photoshopped a bridge over this river, i don't understand why actually building it would be difficult"
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

LaChupacabra wrote: 26 Nov 2019 00:38 Ready! It took me about 20 seconds :D
Eddi wrote: 26 Nov 2019 21:25 WTF are you trying to say here?
"I photoshopped a bridge over this river, i don't understand why actually building it would be difficult"
You probably understood it too literally :wink:
I just wanted to show what it would look like. And as for the comment ... just with all the complex changes that are taking place in the game I do not want to believe that adding a line can be as difficult as jfs wrote, but I may be wrong.

Btw. This is not photoshop, but plain save saved as a line, as you probably see.
I know that this is a rather strange way, I didn't have much coding, so what I write is just guesses, but maybe such lines could be just inactive saves hidden in a place invisible to the player?
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Am I missing something, can't you just click the little home button that takes you back to the default save folder?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

LaChupacabra wrote: 26 Nov 2019 23:31 Btw. This is not photoshop
You probably understood it too literally :wink:

as for judging the difficulty, if you have no experience with it, i refer you to https://xkcd.com/1425/

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”