New Game - Basic transport type available based on year selected

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Harry Tuttle
Engineer
Engineer

New Game - Basic transport type available based on year selected

Post by Harry Tuttle »

I like to play long games. I want to start at the earliest game year possible. However I find that when I start a new game, whether it be with the base set or a NewGRF, that I sometimes use a start year before a transport type is available. I proceed to find a nice area on the map to work with and for example, sad trombone sounds, trains/buses aren't available. This causes me to restart multiple times until I find a year with the first engine offered.

I occasionally enjoy the challenge and surprise with developing a company before certain transport types are available, but sometimes I just want to build oil trains in the hot deserts of central Mexico and not have to spend 10 minutes re-doing maps, or for that matter putting lists together to then use to plan my game.

So, my suggestion, is to include a quick, simple blurb in the New Map creation window, that lists which 4 transport types are available with the start year I have selected, dependent on the base game or NewGRF vehicle set loaded.

Year 1950: (rail, road, air, water); Year 1930: (road, water); etc...
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New Game - Basic transport type available based on year selected

Post by Eddi »

yes, this is definitely needed. except it's neither quick nor simple to find out that information in order to display it.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”