In game palette swap

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

In game palette swap

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Alright, disclaimer: I'll have to admit, I screwed myself over. I know. But it gave me an idea. :idea:

I accidentally swapped a palette of a signal set, then created a scenario that I wanted to play. After hours of fidgeting I created a fun scenario that I wanted to try out. So I start the map in game mode and what do I see? Pink signals! :shock:

After some research into this issue, I switched back the palette for the signals NewGRF in the main menu but alas. The scenario I spend hours on creating is practically useless (well of course I can still play it but it diminishes the experience immensely. It's like the game it glitched while it's just a setting). ;(

So the idea is to be able to swap the palette of NewGRF in game as well as outside.

Is such a thing possible? I understand that loading and unloading NewGRF's is as hard to implement as it gets but would a palette swap still be possible somehow?
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: In game palette swap

Post by acs121 »

Maybe I misread your issue and you did this already, but you should open the console and type "set newgrf_developer_tools 1".
Then you can modify the palette of your GRF ingame, but only in single player, by opening the NewGRF parameters.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

You should be able to re-open the scenario file in the scenario editor and make the modification there.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

acs121 wrote:set newgrf_developer_tools 1
This is something I haven't tried yet. Will give it a spin! Thanks a lot! :D
kamnet wrote:You should be able to re-open the scenario file in the scenario editor and make the modification there.
If you mean using the console command over there, then yes good idea! Then every time I play the scenario, it'll be correct again. :))
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

acs121 wrote:Maybe I misread your issue and you did this already, but you should open the console and type "set newgrf_developer_tools 1".
Then you can modify the palette of your GRF ingame, but only in single player, by opening the NewGRF parameters.
please stop spreading this. the correct command for this situation is "set scenario_developer 1"
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Eddi wrote:
acs121 wrote:Maybe I misread your issue and you did this already, but you should open the console and type "set newgrf_developer_tools 1".
please stop spreading this. the correct command for this situation is "set scenario_developer 1"
"set newgrf_developer_tools 1" works too. I'm not bull****-spreading.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

no, but if someone says "help, i need some training in self-defense" you don't go "sure, here have this AK47"
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

Where would i find "the console"? The number of games I've had to restart after I realise I've screwed up a grf setting 10 years in!
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Hold your click on the Terrain Information Tool and you will see "Open/Close the console".
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

acs121 wrote:Hold your click on the Terrain Information Tool and you will see "Open/Close the console".
It can also be accessed in the conventional way by pressing ~ (or the key below Esc).
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Eddi wrote:no, but if someone says "help, i need some training in self-defense" you don't go "sure, here have this AK47"
Well that's a bit extreme. As a comparison, having a gun for self-defense is illegal, except if you're from the police. While typing a normal command in the console is totally legal and not as dangerous. It depends on what you're changing - while removing a vehicle set can corrupt your savegame, removing a road set "the old way" that only replace graphics is inoffensive for your savegame.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

acs121 wrote:
Eddi wrote:no, but if someone says "help, i need some training in self-defense" you don't go "sure, here have this AK47"
Well that's a bit extreme. As a comparison, having a gun for self-defense is illegal, except if you're from the police. While typing a normal command in the console is totally legal and not as dangerous. It depends on what you're changing - while removing a vehicle set can corrupt your savegame, removing a road set "the old way" that only replace graphics is inoffensive for your savegame.
i don't think you get what i was trying to say with the analogy...

all the things you're saying you can do with the setting "scenario_developer", the dangerous and the less dangerous ones. however, "newgrf_developer_tools" enables additional bad and even worse things that are not even relevant to the topic. and that's why it's a bad idea to tell people to use it.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I split off the off-topic discussion...

On-topic: Eddi has a point. Use the appropriate tools. Not the big sledgehammer when you need a chisel. scenario_developer is the setting you need when you want to edit newgrfs in a savegame or scenario.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”