Problem with stations and nearby industry

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Problem with stations and nearby industry

Post by Jubilee »

As i reported in my last post in this bug report: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/issues/7381
There should be a way to "tell" the station not to accumulate resources of a certain type (i.e. Ore) regardless of train orders.
As is today, when a vehicle with a certain cargo type car reaches a station/port/airport, if there is a nearby industry of that type, automatically the station starts accumulating that industry's output products. This may not be desirable though, especially if that station receives that specific product as raw material for another nearby industry.

My request is to add a way (in the station's window) to turn on/off whether the station will accumulate products from a specific nearby industry. An idea would be to see the names of all nearby industries in a new "tab", and for each one have an on/off switch (defining whether the station will receive this product). Turning the switch off should also make the "grading" of the user's company for that product in that station to disappear (either immediately or after a while) as if he never tried to serve this product.

Another, perhaps better idea (because the first one is based on in-game-user-choice and it would cause several issues - all users should agree to it, etc.) would be to automate this procedure and make it like this: check all nearby industries of each station and never receive a certain product in this station if there is a nearby industry which receives that product as raw material.
-----
Chaney 'Jubilee' (Steam powered)
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Problem with stations and nearby industry

Post by _dp_ »

That's perfectly solved by a "no loading" orders. In general it's a good practice to have "unload all no loading" on all your one-way trains. But even if you accidentally started acceptance already it will stop after a while once you add no loading order. And cargo rating doesn't even matter since you're not going to pick up that cargo anyway.
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

_dp_ wrote:That's perfectly solved by a "no loading" orders. In general it's a good practice to have "unload all no loading" on all your one-way trains. But even if you accidentally started acceptance already it will stop after a while once you add no loading order. And cargo rating doesn't even matter since you're not going to pick up that cargo anyway.
No it's not. If an existing station serving IndustryA is expanded and with its expansion includes IndustryB (which supplies raw materials to IndustryA), as soon as a train with a TypeB car enters the station, even if it has a "no-loading" order, the station starts accumulating materials from IndustryB.

Even if what you say was happening, if by mistake you forgot to place "no-loading" on a single train, there would be no way to make the station not receive cargo of that type, except if you loaded an old save.

EDIT: The problem in this case is that since the station receives typeB cargo and one of your trains contains such a car, the rating is counted, you have no way to avoid it.
-----
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

Jubilee wrote:as soon as a train with a TypeB car enters the station, even if it has a "no-loading" order, the station starts accumulating materials from IndustryB.
No it doesn't
Jubilee wrote:if by mistake you forgot to place "no-loading" on a single train, there would be no way to make the station not receive cargo of that type
Again, stop loading and it will stop receiving eventually. And rating will go away as well (not that it matters anyway).
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

_dp_ wrote:
Jubilee wrote:as soon as a train with a TypeB car enters the station, even if it has a "no-loading" order, the station starts accumulating materials from IndustryB.
No it doesn't
Jubilee wrote:if by mistake you forgot to place "no-loading" on a single train, there would be no way to make the station not receive cargo of that type
Again, stop loading and it will stop receiving eventually. And rating will go away as well (not that it matters anyway).
I just tried it. I changed a train's orders that went to a station to "no loading". After that i added an airport to that station, forcing it to expand. After that, i saw that the station started accumulating resources from the new industry that was included due to the expansion of the station.
-----
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

Jubilee wrote:I just tried it. I changed a train's orders that went to a station to "no loading". After that i added an airport to that station, forcing it to expand. After that, i saw that the station started accumulating resources from the new industry that was included due to the expansion of the station.
Idk how are you checking it but here, your very save, I did exactly that and now ore rating is gone and not matter what you do to that station it won't start picking it up again.
Attachments
N. Angels Transport, 25th Apr 1994.sav
(40.5 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Jubilee wrote:
_dp_ wrote:
No it doesn't
I just tried it. I changed a train's orders that went to a station to "no loading". After that i added an airport to that station, forcing it to expand. After that, i saw that the station started accumulating resources from the new industry that was included due to the expansion of the station.
It takes a few years iirc (I think nearly 2 but not sure at all) until the station stops accepting cargo you never load.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

_dp_ wrote:
Jubilee wrote:I just tried it. I changed a train's orders that went to a station to "no loading". After that i added an airport to that station, forcing it to expand. After that, i saw that the station started accumulating resources from the new industry that was included due to the expansion of the station.
Idk how are you checking it but here, your very save, I did exactly that and now ore rating is gone and not matter what you do to that station it won't start picking it up again.
"Savegame made with newer version"... :(

Anyway, never mind, if the train is set to not load cargo at that station, it should work. Now the only problem is the negative rating for iron ore.
Alberth wrote:It takes a few years iirc (I think nearly 2 but not sure at all) until the station stops accepting cargo you never load.
Thanks for the input. So, two years having a negative rate without any cause? Hmm... I'm not sure if it matters though. Does this affect general relations with the respective city?
-----
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Probably a bit, but tbh I never bother with cities, builbindg industrial cargo chains is much more fun to me
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

no, the city only cares that some throughput happens at a station (at least one piece of cargo loaded or unloaded). It doesn't care about the individual ratings, or stockpile sizes, or whatever.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”