Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 1:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:47 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Many players have surely noticed how tis impossible to prevent muouse errors when dragging though one sees errors (I try to move my mouse to a free area). I suggest that a press of the other button at the same time would end the dragging and stop the action.

So I would 1) press the button and begin dragging 2a) when I would be satisfied I would release button BUT if 2b) - if I would NOT be satisfied I would simply press the other mouse button and... that's it. Nothing would happen. But the drag vanishes! No error.

Would be greatly appreciated. No more building over half the screen when releasing mouse too early.

Thanks.

--=janssoni=--

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:17 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Try the escape key. ;) Stops drag for me. Hope it works for you.

Road Hog (road vehicles, released)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:44 pm 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Try holding the Shift key when releasing the mouse button, you don't execute the command, only get an estimate cost. If your concern is accidentally releasing the mouse before finishing a drag, you could hold Shift until you're sure you've reached the right spot, and only then release Shift, then the mouse button.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:08 am 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Also, extra viewports (default hotkey 'V') can come in handy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:04 am 
Engineer
Engineer

jfs wrote:
Try holding the Shift key when releasing the mouse button, you don't execute the command, only get an estimate cost. If your concern is accidentally releasing the mouse before finishing a drag, you could hold Shift until you're sure you've reached the right spot, and only then release Shift, then the mouse button.

Have to try the shift-key. Control-key works if one is draging a road/railroad - it works as a toggle between build/remove track. The esc-key is not very good except in special occasions, because it removes also the working instrument (f.ex. using esc-key while building i road you first select the instrument (a road-icon) and using esc-key returns the cursoir to normal when I only wanted to change the wrong beginning square of the drag).

Btw, why are signals exception from other dragging. The alt-key could just as well be used for flipping thru the types and the control-key should be reserved for a toggle on/off, (add or remove the signals) as is done when building a track. Is there any toggle key for switching add/remove for signals? (the same need for toggles is valid also for windows - F8 f.ex. turns on the finance report-window but it does not turn it off! A pity).

Thanks guys.

Rgds.

--=janssoni=--

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:37 am 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

You can always press R to toggle removal mode on/off. It's hold a hold-modifier like Ctrl, but it works with everything.
The reason the signals behave differently with respect to Ctrl is likely because of the UI conventions introduced by TTDPatch back before OpenTTD even existed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:32 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

jfs wrote:
You can always press R to toggle removal mode on/off. It's hold a hold-modifier like Ctrl, but it works with everything.

Did not know about R.

Thanks millions!

Would you perhaps have some advice about the for me too small text when selecting (particularly secondary orders) like no unloading, transfer etc. I'm not very good with the mouse so I tend to press wrong buttons. Giving orders is many times really an adventure that i fear beforehand.

Rgds.
--=janssoni=--

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:50 am 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

When you're just doing simple routes from A to B, picking up a single type of cargo from one industry and delivery to another, you never need any other orders than "full load (any cargo)".
All the other order flags are for special cases, such as feeder routes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:59 am 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Janssoni wrote:
Would you perhaps have some advice about the for me too small text when selecting (particularly secondary orders) like no unloading, transfer etc. I'm not very good with the mouse so I tend to press wrong buttons. Giving orders is many times really an adventure that i fear beforehand.
The FAQ explains how to get a different (bigger) font:
https://wiki.openttd.org/FAQ_troublesho ... _or_faulty

The item below it may be interesting too, it should give you bigger buttons.