OpenSimFarm!

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Will this be interesting to develop and play?

Both
No votes
Interesting to develop, but not to play
No votes
Interesting to play, but not to develop
50%
Neither
50%

Total votes: 6

roundowl
Engineer
Engineer

OpenSimFarm!

Post by roundowl »

Greetings!

What if OpenTTD featured field works as a side activity? I know fields in the game are a nuisance, raising construction costs when cleared, but what if players could plop down 8x8 fields, choose a growing schedule, buy a tractor, assign it to several closest fields and work them. Buy a harvester and harvest the fruits of labour. Unload the harvester onto trucks, then pass the trucks with cargo to usual freight delivery to a farm or a processing plant.

SimFarm looks like a game with simple code base - the pathfinder is probably the most complex part of the game. I'm sure it won't be easy to put the activity into OpenTTD, but they look similar (there are tiles, buildings, vehicles), so I guess it can be done.

It will also give roads more purpose, because one can't simply plough a field with a train.

To start the discussion, what can I do with this? Search for SimFarm sources? Write a design document (it won't be well-written, but thorough)? Draw sprites?

Best wishes,
Andrey
kamnet

Re: OpenSimFarm!

Post by kamnet »

If one were to ever re-write OpenTTD, what I'd actually like to see is the development of an inter-connected world of various games.

Take your example, SimFarm, you're managing your farm, that's cool. Somebody else could be playing OpenTTD and offers to transport your farm goods to market and bring you farm supplies. Somebody else could be playing Train Simulator and they're actually driving the train between your farm and the station in the town. Maybe somebody else is playing SimCity and they're the mayor of that city, and somebody else is playing Streets of SimCity and they're driving vehicles around town.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

over the last decades we have defended this game and its predecessors with phrases like "this is not simcity" against out-of-scope suggestions, and now you come with this?!? :p

on a more serious note: if you're mixing games like this, the project very quickly collapses from sheer unmanagability. you're of course free to start a completely separate project and reuse some stuff (adhering to licenses as appropriate)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, Factorio for example is a pretty good logistics and, err, building game. And I kinda could see someone do a more Industry Giant-esque OTTD.

But frankly, too much detail doesn't make any sense, and OTTD has other issues.

That being said, as usual, it's open source, so nobody's stopping anyone from doing whatever they want ^^;
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

I am not interested to play this but I would like farming to do farming by itself. What I mean by this is that I would like to see more animations like tractors working on the fields etc.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

now that is something completely different...
roundowl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by roundowl »

Thank you for feedback. :)

Yes, I was thinking about it, including this into existing game would be difficult and, as Eddi said, it would probably collapse. I will now look into OTTD code and try to figure out how to start from scratch using the same engine, or something different. Maybe someday something will appear with just farming and one freight destination - the city, as in original game. But that's a topic for a different subforum.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

luxtram wrote:I am not interested to play this but I would like farming to do farming by itself. What I mean by this is that I would like to see more animations like tractors working on the fields etc.
Oh yeah. More control over farm fields and how they are generated and what they do would be very nice. Especially with so much farm stuff already drawn anyway.

But I suspect it's one of those things that come across as deceptively simple and really isn't. Right now I think there's pretty much only some size and number of fields stuff in the code that kinda cycles through whatever farm graphics you have, so you'd probably have to do everything from just about scratch ^^;
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there was an attempt to draw up a NewGRF farm fields spec on the base of NewObjects, but i've no idea how far that got.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”