Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

City height levels

Post by ISA »

Hey!

Used some search options for this, but always got some other unrelated topics about height and its levels. Maybe caused also due the lack of my English...
First of all like said on the topic I'm wondering is that even possible. First thought was that probably via patch it would be.

Main reason for this topic is when I start a new game I do like mountainous settings for my gameplay. But I don't like city gets generated onto steep hills straight up/down at the start and in the future it annoys me that they build straight up/down on high inclines. I would prefer that city's build themselves between valleys or in other-hand top of the mountain and stays there (not straight down). For now I mostly just level the mountains to get desired looks for my city. Yeah I know I could use also eye-candy to "fence" the city. Also if I start new games I use command *newgame* a lot because of that horribly placed city.

The suggestion what I saw on my mind would be something like that: You start Your game, You set Your city height from the city center tile (example: city center +/- 3 tiles up or down for ALL citys). That's because of if we use overall map height levels we probably have some city what could not develop at all. Now if I still see need of city development I can adjust the terrain height in desired place and its almost sure that city fills that spot.

I hope You all get the point where I'm trying to go. There are probably big and small thing what I don't see. Also I'm "not home" with the overall coding part in OpenTTD. So here is a good place to beat me down to the mud or rise to new heights. Any feedback is appricated to clear things up.

~Cheers
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: City height levels

Post by PikkaBird »

A well-designed city NewGRF could limit cities' tendency to build up slopes, by disallowing the placement of all or most buildings accordingly (including, potentially, the mechanism you described; limiting altitude variance from the center tile).
Yeah I know I could use also eye-candy to "fence" the city.
You could also change the setting so towns don't build roads. That way, the towns will only grow where you provide roads for them to grow along.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: City height levels

Post by ISA »

PikkaBird wrote:You could also change the setting so towns don't build roads. That way, the towns will only grow where you provide roads for them to grow along.
Yeah I know that too, Forgot to mention. I usually let city grow them-self and then make tweaks here and there, where Im not happy with something

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”