Busways, etc...

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Busways, etc...

Post by acs121 »

I have read quite a lot of discussions about diagonal roads, diagonal level crossings, stops on slopes, custom bus / truck stops, train / tram functionality etc. I think time has come for something less complicated...

One very simple thing would be to implement Busways. These would be just like the one-way road things, except it reserves the entire road only to vehicles transporting passengers. This would be useful with the Street Traffic patch released a few weeks ago.
One thing that should be done with this : vehicles transporting passengers will always go by busways if it allows them to reach their destination.

Another form of implementation would be restrictive roads : again, just like one-way roads, but you can input restrictions : disallow vehicles transporting passengers, allow only vehicles from this company...
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Busways, etc...

Post by Leanden »

Doesnt really need a suggestion of its own as this is covered by the newgrf spec of NRT and already available as a patch.

Busways would never be included by default in trunk and are already possible to be added via NRT NewGRF
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

You can already replace the tram sprites with a busway. I even suggested doing so several years ago. :) You might find the following discussion enlightening.
viewtopic.php?p=1165297#p1165297
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

As Leanden already said, creating a NRT NewGRF for that purpose would be the easiest and probably best solution.

You only have to create a new Road Type (i.e. "BUS_") and modify a bus set to support this. That's all there is for it to work.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Kruemelchen wrote:As Leanden already said, creating a NRT NewGRF for that purpose would be the easiest and probably best solution.

You only have to create a new Road Type (i.e. "BUS_") and modify a bus set to support this. That's all there is for it to work.
I know this, but it would accept ONLY the buses from this set, and not those from any other set. I don't know if it's possible with NRT to test for cargo transported by the vehicle passing on the road.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

acs121 wrote:
Kruemelchen wrote:As Leanden already said, creating a NRT NewGRF for that purpose would be the easiest and probably best solution.

I know this, but it would accept ONLY the buses from this set, and not those from any other set. I don't know if it's possible with NRT to test for cargo transported by the vehicle passing on the road.
No, but you are solving a problem that doesnt exist.

If a set had this feature, and that is the feature you want, why would you use a set that doesnt have it?

You can also restrict acces using drive through stations if you really want a road to be buses only
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Leanden wrote:
acs121 wrote:

No, but you are solving a problem that doesnt exist.

If a set had this feature, and that is the feature you want, why would you use a set that doesnt have it?

You can also restrict acces using drive through stations if you really want a road to be buses only
Maybe because there's vehicles you like in Set 2 that aren't in Set 1 ?
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Never say never, we might add support for bus only roadtypes in NRT in future, which will be automatically compatible with all the vehicle grfs ;)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Wolf01 wrote:Never say never, we might add support for bus only roadtypes in NRT in future, which will be automatically compatible with all the vehicle grfs ;)
I'm thanking each day i'm playing with ratt you, Andythenorth, Eddi and Alberth for continuing this fantastic work. Really.
I think however busways wouldn't have any utility (unless you have really a huge bunch of trucks) without the Street Traffic patch (the patch, not the AI).

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”