Traffic jam of vehicles in cities?

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Abydos
Engineer
Engineer

Traffic jam of vehicles in cities?

Post by Abydos »

OpenTTD could possess an AI vehicle traffic jams system in cities? I know there are NewGRFs that do something like this, but I would like to see in the game a system of its own. The game would give the user the option to enable or disable this system. I think with something like that, it would make the game more difficult and dynamic: there would be a greater traffic of vehicles in streets located in the more developed areas of the city (the center of the city, where there are big buildings).

This would require the player to plan better routes for vehicles, for example, since traffic jams would be constant and would delay the delivery time of the cargo, which would consequently impact on the money collection. Accidents between AI vehicles would also lead to traffic jams or street closures, as well as traffic jams, which would also result in smaller numbers of people arriving at train stations, buses, airports and docks.

Would it be possible? :?:
kamnet

Re: Traffic jam of vehicles in cities?

Post by kamnet »

A patch was recently published implementing a town traffic AI
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=82853

It's not as complex as to be able to plan traffic or create accidents (since as of right now, vehicles cannot actually collide), it doesn't have any impact on passenger or cargo levels, but it can spam your roads just the same as the Town Cars and Street Traffic AIs and slow down deliveries. This patch is also fairly buggy right now. But it might be something that gets picked up by a patch pack eventually.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

kamnet wrote:A patch was recently published implementing a town traffic AI
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=82853

It's not as complex as to be able to plan traffic or create accidents (since as of right now, vehicles cannot actually collide), it doesn't have any impact on passenger or cargo levels, but it can spam your roads just the same as the Town Cars and Street Traffic AIs and slow down deliveries. This patch is also fairly buggy right now. But it might be something that gets picked up by a patch pack eventually.
You don't really need a patch, just go on online content, download "StreetTraffic" AI and "Generic Cars" NewGRF, et vous n'avez qu'à lancer une nouvelle partie. If you use JGR's patchpack, you can allow the AI to create up to 10,000 vehicles - even with a lot of roads, it will easily cause traffic jams and may block your vehicles, especially if you're using InfraSharing : cars will stop and load/unload at bus stops. A solution would be to create individual settings (for example : Company 1 allows Company 2 but not Company 3).
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

acs121 wrote:You don't really need a patch, just go on online content...
The OP specifically stated:
Abydos wrote:I know there are NewGRFs that do something like this, but I would like to see in the game a system of its own.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

kamnet wrote:
Abydos wrote:I know there are NewGRFs that do something like this, but I would like to see in the game a system of its own.
The OP was modified in-between.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

acs121 wrote:
kamnet wrote:

Sorry, but OP hasnt been edited.

Or it would say at the bottom, “last edited by”.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Leanden wrote:
acs121 wrote:
kamnet wrote:

Sorry, but OP hasnt been edited.

Or it would say at the bottom, “last edited by”.
I think it actually was. Sometimes the edit isn't even mentioned.
Abydos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Abydos »

No, I did not edit the OP. And it seems that the subject of the OP has completely changed. :|
But back to the subject, I think the company vehicles could collide with other AI vehicles in the city, causing financial loss.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”