Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Full train rails

Post by Jubilee »

Hi.

Maybe it has been asked before, but could you consider adding a button to the trains build toolbar, to add all possible rail combinations in a square with a single click?
AllRails2.png
AllRails2.png (74.45 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
-----
Chaney 'Jubilee' (Steam powered)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Full train rails

Post by acs121 »

Maybe a "Junctions" button, which would show a list ? Interesting.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

mind you that this is the kind of problems that should not be solved by theproposed solution, but instead should be reconsidered two layers above by not getting into the situtation where you need this solution
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Eddi wrote:mind you that this is the kind of problems that should not be solved by theproposed solution, but instead should be reconsidered two layers above by not getting into the situtation where you need this solution
I was about to reply in a similar manner.

This sort of building is probably not something to be encouraged. As it may give new players the wrong idea about efficient network building.

However, it might be nice to have a junction button, that builds some more effective junctions in one go, perhaps some of the ones from https://wiki.openttd.org/Junction
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

My maps aren't flat, and I build with the terrain (building bridges against hills or digging tunnels), so each junction is unique.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Cities: SL very rarely has flat terrain, and it still has a pre-build junction option.

Granted, terraforming there is more dynamic so it's not entirely comparable. Same for Transport Fever and so on. But it's not an option that can't be worked around.

Of course, I really don't see a reason why it'd be limited to junctions. I think there already exist blueprint/copy&paste patches, and imo that's what such a function should do. Maybe come with some pre-defined examples, but largely it should allow you to copy and save your design so you can place them elsewhere. Or even demolish everything and then easily rebuild them or whatever.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the prebuilt junctions in Cities:Skylines NEVER fit when i need a junction...

in any case, there is the "Copy&Paste" patch, which i also never found a use for

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”